Saturday, June 19, 2010

Important Update for San Diego/La Jolla

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hi Guys!

Due to a mix-up/communication snafoo (or "snafu" - but I like my spelling better), I have new location details for our La Jolla stop on the 27th. If you're planning on attending that show, please read the following carefully. There will be a quiz afterward. ;)



Instead of the Warwicks store as we originally planned, the La Jolla stop will now be located at the La Jolla Festival of the Arts, located about 4 miles from the store at the corner of Genesee Ave and Regents Rd. (Map here.)

Warwicks has an author pavilion there complete with seating, audio-visual equipment, etc., so the show and cupcake Wreckplica contest and free cake distribution will still all go on as planned at 2PM.

Warwicks will also have copies of CW available there for purchase. The proceeds will actually go to charity, so plan to buy your copy there.

Now, here's where things get tricky: there is a $10 admission fee - also being donated to charity - to get into the Art Festival. (Believe me, all of this has been as much of a surprise to us as it is to you.) Never fear, though, because we've found a solution. Ready? Here 'tis:

John and I are personally going to pay for each of you to get into the festival. Yep, all 163 of you.

Why?

Because it's not fair to charge you to see us, and because there's no other way, and because the proceeds go to charity anyway, so it's all for a good cause.

So, if you have already RSVP'd via the Evite for the La Jolla show, you will be getting an e-mail from us soon. Print out that e-mail. Bring it to the show, and you'll be allowed in for free. Your e-mail will be good for the amount of people you originally included in your RSVP.

Of course, if you'd like to pay your own admission - which, again, is for a good cause - then by all means do so. (Kids under 10 are free.) If, however, the admission charge would otherwise prevent you from coming to the show, then please use the e-mail voucher. John and I will gladly pay your way.

Parking is free, by the way.

And that's it! I'm very sorry for the mix-up, everyone, but on the bright side, now you get the CW show *and* an art festival all in the same afternoon! So please still plan on joining us, and we'll see you there!
Meghan said...

That's wicked cool of you! :)

AliciaMc said...

awww, you guys are amazing! I can't go (because I live in freaking Canada) but I love that you guys are willing to do this!

Anonymous said...

The term is S.N.A.F.U., not "snafoo". It stands for "Situation Normal All Fouled Up." I believe it's a military term, but I'm not sure on that one.

-Helen

Another Whiner said...

You guys are way too awesome. And this makes me even more sad that I will be missing you in Pasadena. Stupid friend had to go and have a birthday that day. :(

web said...

I have no dog in this fight, but just have to say, you guys ROCK!

I hope your generosity will be rewarded by not actually having to pay for all 163 of them.

Anonymous said...

*ahem* Snafoo - no.

Snafu - yes.

Translation: Situation Normal, All F*cked Up.

Which pretty much describes the situation with the new location. Hope you still get a great big crowd!

WV - bolus: A small English tot's way of saying something is pish-posh.

TiaLes said...

Just an FYI for anyone coming to this event -- the La Jolla Festival of the Arts is a great showcase for beautiful art (to admire and to purchase)!! I was very jazzed to find out that the Cake Wrecks signing would be at the Festival! (My sister and I are participating in the Calle Color streetpainting area at the Festival, and I was sorry I'd be so close and yet so far from the Cake Wrecks visit! Not anymore!) :)

Lesley Benzakein

Kay said...

Let me echo what the others have said - you guys are the best! I am in NC, so won't be at the show. I will, however, be watching for pictures and reports!

WV: monat - Artist Monet's lesser-known wrecky cousin.

Laura said...

Can we still RSVP for the event and get the voucher? I hadn't done it yet because we were going to move on the 23rd, but now we aren't so we're still in SD and ready to come!

john (the hubby of Jen) said...

Hey Laura,

Just go ahead and e-mail us and we'll forward you a voucher.

See you there!

john

Gale said...

This post was so coincidentally meaningfull. I grew up on a boat named SNAFU and get engaged in La Jolla. :-)

Unfortunately, no where near there now.

Andrea said...

Jen and John, That is so generous of you to pay the admission fee for all the attendees. Especially since you have just come out of a difficult year with John being admitted to hospital.
I hope everyone pays their own way to the festival and the CW book signing.
Andrea, from Australia

Fluffy Cow said...

If I were in the area, I would come and pay for extra people. Y'all are amazing.

And 10 lashings with a wet noodle for anyone else who tries to correct Jen on the snafoo.

Kim said...

This is my first time commenting but a long-time reader...

I just wanted to say how supremely awesome you guys are! What an absolutely cool thing to do.

Huge kudos. :)

Stoich91 said...

What? Cake Wrecks rocks? They would be willing to dish $1,600 to a charity because of a mistake that wasn't even theirs? Tell me something I don't know! :) Really, what else is 'new'?

Anonymous said...

FluffyCow couldn't have said it any better!

Linz said...

Wow, how awesome of you both to do that!

P.S. I happen to like your spelling of "snafoo." Maybe it has to do with the fact that I like words like "squishy" and "spelunk."

Grace said...

Dittos to FluffyCow!
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Grace

'lex said...

I'm over the pond in merry ol' Britain but I just want to say that your offer to pay everyone's entrance fee is beyond amazing. You guys never ever fail to stun me. You truly are brilliant people.

Jenniffer said...

Jen and John,

The unlimited coolness you two possess never ceases to amaze me. Paying for people's admission to see you - now THAT rocks!!

Anonymous said...

If you use 'snafoo' it's in the true tradition of Cake Wrecks. Of course it does mean that the wreck is on you, so to speak.

As others have pointed out, it's SNAFU, an acronym for 'Situation Normal All F**ked Up' and is, IIRC, originally from the RAF, not the US military.

Anonymous said...

Your generosity makes Cakewrecks all the more appealing to me. Makes me want to fly down to Pasadena just to meet you, get my newly acquired book signed, and of course, create a cupcake mini wreck. Thanks for adding laughter to the days of all us happy readers! Bowing down....

homer mariner said...

I have been checking out this site for a long time (I even submitted my first wreck recently), and just wanted to say how excited I am that I can see the wreckiness in person! I live in La Jolla (at the university), and can't wait to be there! I'm debating trying to make my own wreck, but really, how badly can it go? And I'd be happy to pay my way in even on a student budget, for people like you. Anybody that makes me laugh on a daily basis is worth paying for!

A Paperback Writer said...

I have no doubt that the event in Salt Lake City will be free, but there are only about 5 parking places for the whole bookstore. Personally, I plan to arrive waaaay early, park up the street, and walk. :)

Brittany said...

I like the way you operate. I'm not going (live in Boise) but appreciate it all the same.

RobsJ said...

Thank you for being so awesome and always here for me to read every day! You even partly inspired my new blog. You can read my first ever post if you like. "http://notarecipe.blogspot.com/" It's also about food. Thanks for the inspiration!

KathyD said...

And that is why you two are so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Your Snafoo is a perfect wreck. Foo on everyone else!

It's amazingly cool of you to offer to pay the Art Festival admission fee for people who would be financially strapped to pay it themselves. That is real class. I wish I lived in the area and could attend!

Melody said...

I was just in Tempe for a week and I just missed you. I am so sad :(

Amethyst said...

I'm nowhere near so I won't be going, but if I could afford it I'd send you extra to give to the charity in honor of your generosity. I've loved your site for some time! As for your snafoo, it works... call it the americanized version. I once named a cat K'nipshen figuring that was as close as I'd come to properly spelling what I thought was a yiddish word... It's not, it's just conniption, totally english. Keep up the gud werk! Tee hee!

Amanda said...

Wow! Thank you so much for your awesome generosity. I do have one question though - if the book signing and cupcake contest are still at Warwick's at 2, then when and why are we supposed to go to the Arts Festival? Is that before or after Warwicks? I've never been to a book signing before, so I'm terribly confused. :(

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys are awesome! I hope you come to Cleveland on your next tour.

Sarah said...

Okay, so now I'm all confuzzled.

Are you still going to be at Warwicks at 2? Because I'm super excited about seeing everyone's cupcake wreck-plicas...and if you and John aren't there, who's going to determine which one is the wreckiest of them all?

Anonymous said...

Had a great time at the Tempe signing last night. Even though I voted for the winning cupcake, I admit that the bacon flip flops were cool too. And thank you John for the "drooring" in my book!
-Vicki