Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tour Roundup: Pasadena, CA

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On Saturday we did our 16th tour stop at Vroman's in Pasadena, CA. If you haven't been there you should go; it's awesome. And a big thanks to Connie, the book store rep, for being all around wonderful.

Some smiling faces in the crowd:


And hey, look! Our computer's working! Weird!

Our last-minute replacement baker was the phenomenal Linda Darck of Sweet Art Cupcakes. She made a meringue-based buttercream that was sooo good. The chocolate tasted like rich chocolate mousse, and John loved the strawberry so much that he stole a bunch of them to bring back to the hotel room for later. :D

Plus, look how pretty!


And a few of our fav wreckplicas:

A few fun Disney ones:

The photo on the table is of the Epcot attempt that went horribly, hilariously wrong. ;)




Seriously, you guys have mad wreckerating skilz.

(We'll put the rest of the entries on Facebook later this week, so watch for those.)

And our "winners!":


We didn't get a close-up of the stuffed bunny on the cupcake, but as you can see, it was a stuffed bunny. On a cupcake. John laughed so hard I think he teared up a bit. Then he stole the bunny. (Yes, we still have it.)

The suggestively hairy graduation cheese! Isn't it great?

And our grand prize "winner":

Complete with censor bars. Awesome.

Thanks to everyone who came out! Oh, and thanks also to wreckies Mike & Michelle for taking us to an amazing Afghan restaurant later, and not kidnapping us. That was swell.
Hungarican Chick said...

John is very much a thief it seems. ::teehee::

Ruth said...

Congrats on being on TIMEs Best Blogs of 2010 list :D
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1999770_1999761_1999735,00.html

tkangaroo said...

Aren't those cupcake tiers suspiciously like a cupcake cake?

Anonymous said...

That was so much fun! And I'm pretty sure the rest of the bookstore was wondering why we were laughing so hysterically. You guys should do a world tour every year. I'd actually come out and see you, as I'm such a loyal fan and all. I've heard you have fans in such places as New Zealand. Or slightly closer to home, Canada. Ok, how about Hawaii? That still counts as in the U.S. (heehee!)

Anonymous said...

lololol

Anonymous said...

No, no, no! On a CCC (ptooey,ptooey)the cupcakes are iced as one blob to try to fool the customer that it's a cake that just happens to be contained in lots of fluted paper cups.
Those cupcake tiers are the way God intended cupcakes to be displayed- beautifully!

wv: micaling- as in, if I'm a wreckarator, maybe baking is not micaling.

cyn said...

Am I the only one who thought the "thanks to everyone who came out" right under a "push Olivia" cupcake was... er.....awkward?

TisforTonya said...

my favorite part of the post? the "thanks to all those who came out" written right under the replica depicting the baby - coming out.

Anonymous said...

New Zealand reader right here ;)

Cindy in Pas said...

Thank you guys SO much for coming to Pasadena! We had a blast, and my extended family is so jealous we got to meet you! :)

Vik said...

I posted on twitter, but I have protected tweets, so I don't know if you could see it.

I dreamed about @cakewrecks last nite. A stranger & I were heckling bad cakes. I turned to her & said, "Sprinkles...?" HEEHEE!!

Kitty said...

I only live 2 miles from Vroman's, but I had to miss it - so bummed! I hope you come back again. Vroman's is a great store, and I hope you decided that we Pasadenans are OK!

Anonymous said...

At first glance I thought one of the censor bars on the grand prize "winner" cake was over the woman's eyes. Upon closer inspection, of course it was not, but the idea that even the fondant/cake woman herself didn't want to be associated with that wreck made me giggle!

meesh said...

'ello!
We had a great time at the Pasadena leg of your "world tour"! Thank you for the laughs and the terrific slide show. We're all "winners"! Hee-hee

Anonymous said...

Aww, looks awesome!

Cake Wrecks now has a TVTropes page, in case you don't know: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CakeWrecks

Classic Steve said...

"There is a bunny on this cupcake. Your argument is invalid."

WV: glisha = the sound you hear when people see Olivia's cake.

Anonymous said...

tkangaroo - you're killing me! ;)
anonymous #3 - thank you! :)

If you would like to get a closer view of the details of the cupcakes (and to not have to look at my CRAZY looking hair!) I have some pictures on the Sweet Art Cupcakes FB page: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=145192&id=128514970521221

Linda Darck

hbfj said...

I was there. It was Awesome!

hbfj said...

I was there. It was awesome!

Trude said...

My coworker Carol was the winner! Looks like so much fun! :)

The Curries said...

"Thanks to everyone who came out!" Hahahahhahah!

wv: ammuc- fantastic wreckplicas are running ammuc!

Shelby said...

My aunt Carol is the one who introduced me to this site in the first place. It's so awesome that she won! (I wish she would have brought me along!).

Cupcakes Lady said...

Poor Olivia...thats just looks horrendous lol xx