Saturday, November 14, 2009

Southern Comfort [Atlanta Pics]

Saturday, November 14, 2009

We have come to the very last stop on our Cake Wrecks "World" Tour, dear Wreckies. Now I know, I know; you're going to miss seeing your fellow Wrecktators' Wreckplicas, and the wreckalicious Wrecks our local Wreckerators prepared in each city, but what can I say? (Something starting with "wreck," perhaps?)

Well, without further ado, here are the treats the folks in Atlanta got to partake of earlier this week:


This gravity-defying bit of prettiness was provided by Lisa of Feast Catering. Lisa actually first contacted me waaay back before the first half of the tour, begging us to come to Atlanta so she could provide the cake. How's that for dedication?

In fact, Lisa made TWO cakes. The pretty one, and the...well, let's call it the "fun" one:

[snicker] Isn't it fabulous? The mixing bowl was a strawberry cake so delicious that even I couldn't snag a piece (but I got to hear about it from everyone who did). Heh.


This one was appropriately Wrecked. ;) I especially love the little piping bag.

Our standing-room-only crowd of Wrecktators:

By the way, I don't think I've mentioned this before, but you guys should know that we broke signing-attendance records left and right on this tour. And for those stores that had seen larger events, the employees almost always assured us they'd never hosted one that was this much fun. You guys made that happen, so thank you!

Ok, back to the photos. Here are our three Wreckplica contest "winners":

From the left, that's Amanda, Daniel, and "girl who has to e-mail me her name because I can't read it on the plate." (I'm guessing her parents were hippies.)

UPDATE: Elizabeth has e-mailed to tell me her name is...Elizabeth. (The suspense was killing you there, wasn't it?)

Here's a close-up of their entries:

The crowd agreed that Daniels' Coiled Crap Hound was the way to "go."

Elizabeth also provided a better photo of her Sandra Lee Kwanzaa cake. Thanks, Elizabeth!

And a few more favorites:




As usual, you can see the rest of the fabulous entries in the CW Facebook album here.

And that's it for the tour wrap-up entries! Stay tuned for tomorrow's Sweets edition, where you'll see more gorgeous creations from our participating bakers. Thanks again, everyone!
Becca said...

Sorry I took your strawberry cake, Jen! It was quite good, and such a sweet birthday gift from dear John!

Thanks for making it down to Atlanta for the tour! I hope to run into y'all at Dragon*Con next year! :)

Tony Vila said...

Holy smokes, is that "about to pop" cake by Matt Chapman of Homestar Runner fame? Holy smokes!

Staci said...

It was such a fun time! Thanks for coming! Hope to see you at Blissdom :)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, is that the names "Jackie & Matt Chapman" on the "ready to pop" cake?! Jenn, I do believe you got visited by one of the Brothers Chaps, the creators of homestarrunner.com!

Dawn said...

We're so glad you added Atlanta to your tour (sorry you two had to get deathly ill for it to happen, though). As soon as my daughter saw the Atlanta posting, she begged to go! Yeah, she really had to twist my arm on that one. :-)

We had a great time and enjoyed meeting you and John in person. Even my 7 yr old son was excited to meet you -- he talked about it nearly every day beforehand.

Wishing you continued success!

Heidi D said...

I want the recipe for the awesome strawberry cake.

Coiled Crap Hound got a laugh out loud laugh...just thought you'd like to know.

I really love your blog. I'm so glad you do it. It's a bright spot for me everyday. :))

OM said...

Ooh, I haven't been here for a while and now the blog looks so nice! There's a hidden metaphor there. The blog was a design wreck and now it's a Sunday treat. That blue makes me happy...

Tammi said...

Being out of the States has its downsides...unless you're planning a European tour?? (begging here!!!)

To all those who did get to attend a tour, know that there are so many out there who are soooooooo jealous of you!

Looking forward to my book for Christmas.

Unknown said...

Hooray!! *Sings* I was there, I was there...

And, holy crap, if Tony Villa is right, then you've got another celebrity wreckie! or whatever your fans are called 6_6

Becky said...

Had a great time- so nice to meet you! I already posted about it too! http://thevioletfig.blogspot.com

Natballs said...

that top cake looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

I think that you picked the wrong winner. That Ready to Pop cake should have been among the top three. Out of all the cup cake replicas the was one of the best. It even made me want to comment when I have never stopped to comment before.

Anonymous said...

I love that pufferfish! And I'm glad someone took a second look at that lobster-- one of my all-time favorite wrecks!

Anonymous said...

I love the upside-down-rightside-up cake...but I'm wondering how they took it apart to cut/serve it.

Anonymous said...

Aw man! I missed this! I was just aimlessly reading the blog when I recognized my bookstore. UGH. Oh, well, maybe next time. Anyway, it looked like a blast.

Chad said...

OMG! It was a blast meeting you guys at the Atlanta signing! I hope that the B&N staff were nice to you, as they seemed to be quite rude to some of us "wreckies".

I wished we didn't have to travel so far so we could have particpated in the wrecklipa contest too!

You can see a few more pics at our blog: http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

I think that Ohio State shirt is supposed to be a wreck too. Either it was supposed to say Ohio University or it's the wrong color. Go buck-cats!

Bree said...

The Ready to Pop ccc is great and unlike the cake version, looks a lot more edible!

Sally Reed said...

That pooper puppy mini replica was great, but I also loved that prickly white round ball pufferfish, too.

I'm also curious as to how that upside-down-rightside-up cake was sliced. Wouldn't the bottom get squished?

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

omg that about to pop cake is HILARIOUS! your blog cracks me up.

mindflex said...

seriously, that top one is amazing! I would love one. bet it tastes great too

Em said...

Thanks for coming to Atlanta, Jen ((and John!)) It was so much fun meeting y'all! =D

Larry "Liontamer" Oji said...

My lady, Paige, saw me in this post and asked me how I always show up everywhere online. :-) I'm in the second picture behind the mixing bowl cake reading Retro Gamer magazine while waiting for the Jen & Jon to officially kick off the event.

My lady & I also BOTH got to ask questions (thanks, Jon!), AND I got to make fun of Sean Hannity with everyone in the crowd laughing, which was a huge plus.

You guys did a great job in Alanta, and it was my pleasure to check it out!

Larry Oji
Assistant Soundtrack Director, Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Head Submissions Evaluator, OverClocked ReMix - http://ocremix.org / http://twitter.com/ocremix

AM said...

One of the creators of Homestar Runner and his wife made a cake at your event?!! You've hit the big time, Jen. *bows to you*

Matthew Johns said...

I was at the event, and it was pretty fun indeed! I was there with some of my friends, and Daniel, the winner with the "coiled crap hound" wreckplica ended up giving us his cake out of the blue after we congratulated him on winning. Definitely a cool evening!

Unknown said...

LOLOL! That coiled cake is pretty scary! WAY too scary to eat