Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Regardless, I think that we should celebrate this occasion with our perfectly smashing neighbors across the pond, if only so I can liberally sprinkle what few bits of British slang I know gratuitously throughout. So, with a hi and a ho, and a cheerio, let's go!
Oi! See here, now: This poor sod's not only hit the sleeping policeman of the century, but he was apparently eaten by those dodgy spiders as well. 'Sa right shame, tha' is. The date's quite fitting, though, innit? Pip pip!
Cor! Did you know there's actually a cake kit for car accidents? Straight up. Check it out:
For today, I think I'll call this the "Bangers & Mash Cake." Just take a gander at the ickle bobby wagon! Bent as a bottle of a chips, is what that is. [nodding earnestly]
And here's how you add a bit of jiggery pokery to a car wreck cake:
Say, where IS the accident? This cake is all fur coat and no knickers, if you know what I'm saying. (What, you don't? Oh. Well, that makes two of us.)
And to really throw a spanner in the works, you could add a little fancy man jibber jabber:
Gaw, that's right cheeky, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick, eh? Bob's your uncle!
Hey Hunter S., Tara T., Tim G., and Michelle B., if Bob's your uncle, then how's your father?
John's Helpful Index For Ruddy Yanks:
Oi!- Hey there!
Poor Sod- A pitiable fellow
Sleeping policeman- Speed bump
Dodgy- Risky, suspicious
'Sa right shame, tha' is- How unfortunate
Cor!- My goodness!
Straight up- True True
Ickle bobby wagon- Small police car
Bent as a bottle of a chips- Crooked
Jiggery pokery- Deception
All fur coat and no knickers- No substance beneath
Fancy man jibber jabber- Love talk
Right Cheeky- Attractively impudent
Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick- Not so bad
Bob's your uncle!- There you have it!
How's your father?- A nudge-nudge wink-wink bit of innuendo
Ruddy Yanks- Americans
Related Wreckage: Transformers Going Down In Flames
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- Sarcasm! Wow, That's ORIGINAL!
- San Francisco Summary
- I Call Fowl
- 'Twas a Sweet & Starry Night in the Jet City
- You Can't Get There from He-ah
- Powell's Portland Pastry Party
- Sunday Sweets: Tour De Force, Pt 1
- The (Wedding) Ring
- Nifty Neat-O Penmanship
- Growing Geek Girls
- About Last Night...
- Pioneering Pastries
- "Serious" Eats
- The Cake Wrecks "Virtual" Tour
- Sunday Sweets: Shiver Me Sweets
- To Err is Human, To Arr is Pirate
- Two Thumbs Up!
- Wrecks Interrupted
- Not-So-Passive Aggressive Cakes
- Creepy Crawly Cakes
- "World" Tour Final Countdown
- I'm This Many
- A Whale of a Tale
- Sunday Sweets: Ribbons and Lace
- We Are SO Gonna Get In Trouble For This One...
- Patriot Day
- Sweet, Sweet Irony
- Blimey, Somebody Call 999!
- Book Release Update - Don't Panic. :)
- Multiple Choice Wrecks
- Happy Labor Day!
- Like Our New Look?
- Sunday Sweets: WoW
- Vroom Vroom
- I Think I'll Have the Salad Today...
- Blame Decopac
- If You Want Something Done Right...
- The Most Wonderful Time...
- ▼ September (38)