Sunday, January 4, 2009
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Since I've got so much good stuff to share with you, I'm going to break it up into categories. Today's feature will be dragons and unicorns. Tune in next week for Fairies & Castles.
First and foremost, here's a flat-out AMAZING dragon from - who else? - Mike's Amazing Cakes:
You can tell this is for role-playing gamers by the corn dogs and mozzarella sticks in the background. Come to think of it, all this shin-dig is missing are some Hot Pockets! [cue Jim Gaffigan bit]
Here's another angle:
(Thanks to Christine C. and Sarah, who were among the first of billions to send these in. Check here for more shots and pics of the cake being cut.)
Next we have an equally impressive Unicorn and Fairy Combo from Sandra of Sugar Fun:
Visit Sandra's site to see in-process photos.
(Laura N. was the first to send this one. Thanks, Laura!)
Next, in the "so-cute-it-hurts" category from Richard's Cakes, we have a dragon...in a tutu:
So obviously when I say "I'm drawing the line at tutus" I mean "unless they're stinkin' adorable". Everybody got that?
And lastly, Julie W. found a not-so-great photo of a truly great cake:
Arg, my kingdom for decent lighting! Still, if you can look past the blinding flash and shadows, you'll see this is a gorgeous replica of the famous "Unicorn in Captivity" tapestry:
The floral work is exquisite, and I love the little tree. It was made by Magda's Cake Creations, and if you visit the link you'll see a few other angles there.
And let me close with another great dragon cake. Uh, let's see, first I have to choose one... (this is torture, guys; you sent in so many good ones!)
Ok, here, let's go with Kenya S.'s find:
I love that color. According to creator Shoshannah84 over on Deviant Art, it was inspired by Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders. Nice!
Thanks so much, everyone! Feel free to continue sending in fantasy cakes, but particularly fairy and/or castle cakes for next Sunday.
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- It's Me or the Dog: Cupcake Trance
- Of COURSE It's Right-Side Up...
- Are You Ready for Some Football?!
- It's My Blog and I'll Flog if I Want To...
- Well, the word "holy" DID come to mind...
- You Say "Redneck" Like it's a Bad Thing
- Every Breath You Take...
- Why So Serious?
- Sunday Sweets: Cutey-Patootey Dragon Babes
- Hey Everybody, Do You Know What Time It Is?
- The Problem With Phone Orders
- Breaking News: Head-Swelling Bakery Incident Goes ...
- Why Suzy Needs Therapy
- The Presidential Sweet
- Wedding Crashers, Cake Wrecks Style
- That Poe Bird
- Sunday Sweets: Lord of the Rings
- It's Just a LITTLE Soap Box, I Promise
- What Do You Mean, "Last Minute"?
- Big Day, Big Wrecks
- Think They're Organic? [smirk]
- Introducing a Good Sport
- Double Your Photos, Double Your "Fun"
- LIFE Wrecks
- Voting Update: This One's For John
- Sunday Sweets: Castles & Fairies
- New Tees!
- My Sweet What is What?
- How to Make Your Twins Hate You
- Hey, Bebeh
- Cake Wrecks Gets Its Own TV Show!
- A Real Stretch
- Calling All Evil Wrecks Henchpeople...
- Now THAT'S What I'm Talkin' 'Bout
- Bonus Side Tangent Contest Results
- Why Football & Bridal Showers Don't Mix
- Sunday Sweets: Fastastical Beasts
- Groom's Cake for a Cop
- Food that's Bad for You, Disguised as...Food that'...
- Year of the Tongue?
- Wasted Cakes
- ▼ January (43)