Friday, October 31, 2008
Friday, October 31, 2008
Let's see, we've covered pumpkins and ghosts and spiders, but I feel like something's missing from our Halloween line up...
OH! I know! This is:
Hey, John R.? What'd you say this was again? A mummy? [checking photo again] With a red hair bow? Seriously? Wait - that's a cookie! Does that even count?
Hm, well, let's see what Amanda M. dug up for us.
Amanda thought this was some kind of spiderweb, but my Wreck radar is telling me it was supposed to be a mummy head. It's also alerting me to the fact that this is a dreaded CCC, so we'd best move on.
Ok, here we go: that's actually recognizable. Kudos, Annie D.; I bet you never thought this would be the best looking one, huh? Still, I include it as a base of reference for this next one:
Yep, Stephanie S. reports that this was actually labeled "Mummy Cake". As opposed to "Ticked-Off Cross-Breed of a Storm-Trooper and a Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtle Cake".
And the award for "Least Effort Exerted in Making Overstocked Cakes into Halloween Cakes" goes to:
Like you, I thought that surely this design (found by Amy W.) was a one-store fluke. But then I got this from Jessica K.:
Ack! The smiley face mummies are everywhere! And they're surrounded by nuts!
Still, I don't think any of those Wrecks can compete with what Michael G. uncovered:
Words fail me. The stringy white stuff, the eyeballs, the two fingers...yep, I got nuthin'. Y'all will have to help me out here: what the heck is this? My best guess is a melted mummy, but I'm sure you guys can come up with something better.
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- July (33)
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)
- December (44)
- November (34)
- Mum's the Word
- Andrew Zimmern Interview
- And Now the Conclusion of The Spider Wreck Chronic...
- The Spider Wreck Chronicles
- Ghosts with the Most, Continued
- Ghosts with the Most
- Sunday Sweets: Autumn Awesomeness in Atlanta
- Great White Snark's Top 5 Awful Dalek Cakes
- Wrecktastic Pumpkin Parade
- Dirty-Minded Decorators
- RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!
- Save the Ts AND the Vs
- It's a Wreck Off!
- Sunday Sweets: Spooktacular Wedding Cakes
- Cheap Interview
- If That's Your "Real" Name
- This Post is Brought to you by the Number 809
- The Wrecky Infamy is Spreading
- Marcus and the New Job
- Confessions of a Cake Wrecker
- Shameless Begging
- E.T. is back...
- Like THIS, Not Like THAT
- Sunday Sweets: Leaping Lego Lizards, Batman!
- Sorry, You Can't Have Any
- Cake Writing 201: "Congratulations"
- What's Better Than a Hockey Wreck?
- A Barry Booty-full Cake
- Game Show Results
- Cake Wrecks the Game Show?
- Sunday Sweets: Super Mario Wedding Cake
- Sadness Takes on Cake Form
- Optimus Wrecks
- THAT...Doesn't Look Like Dirt
- Stop the Insanity!!
- When Decorators Need to Practice Their Roses
- September (29)
- August (26)
- July (25)
- June (18)
- May (18)
- April (1)