Monday, October 13, 2008
Monday, October 13, 2008
You all know my stance on cupcake-cakes, and it's a stance that I thought nothing, no matter how delightfully sugar-encrusted, could change.
Then, Wreckporter Iliea S. sent me this photo:
And I have to admit, my friends, I am torn. Torn, like an old sweater! You see, yes, this is a cupcake cake. Yes, it is that crime-against-nature shade of blue, destined to stain, well, everything. By all rights I should treat this "cake" with contempt and move on.
And yet... and yet... I LIKE IT! I really do! I think the googly eyes are adorable! I even caught myself fantasizing about making this for John's birthday in a few weeks! ACK!
There, I said it. [shifty eyes] Now I feel like I need to go to cake confession or something.
Ah, but this post wouldn't be a complete without a Wreck, would it? So if I can't bring myself to label the above CCC a Wreck, I'll just have to go with...
Woohoo! Now, here the world has returned to its natural order, 'cuz this sucker is as Wrecktastic as CCCs come. Are those side wings supposed to be jowls, or arms? Huh. [head tilt] Well, considering there are cookies impaled in them, I'm going to have to guess 'arms'.
Now, those cookies in the middle - are those supposed to be lips, or is Cookie Monster just choking to death? I mean, overall he does kind of have that death-throes look about him, doesn't he? Still, I wouldn't even want to guess what the white icing in the middle is supposed to be - teeth? Foam? (Ewww.)
And while I'm at it, I really should throw these guys in:
It's a whole host of choking cookie monsters! And Kate S., I DO see the difference, I really do.
And look at this: apparently there are lots of decorators out there who have bad childhood memories of Mr. Monster:
Not only do these guys have a pleading look of terror on their faces, they also have their mouths stitched...open? Wait, that can't be right. What is that, then, a mustache? Oh, and would you please get a load of the icing to cupcake ratio? I mean, daaaang.
Sonya G., did you put them out of their misery?
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- July (33)
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)
- December (44)
- November (34)
- Mum's the Word
- Andrew Zimmern Interview
- And Now the Conclusion of The Spider Wreck Chronic...
- The Spider Wreck Chronicles
- Ghosts with the Most, Continued
- Ghosts with the Most
- Sunday Sweets: Autumn Awesomeness in Atlanta
- Great White Snark's Top 5 Awful Dalek Cakes
- Wrecktastic Pumpkin Parade
- Dirty-Minded Decorators
- RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!
- Save the Ts AND the Vs
- It's a Wreck Off!
- Sunday Sweets: Spooktacular Wedding Cakes
- Cheap Interview
- If That's Your "Real" Name
- This Post is Brought to you by the Number 809
- The Wrecky Infamy is Spreading
- Marcus and the New Job
- Confessions of a Cake Wrecker
- Shameless Begging
- E.T. is back...
- Like THIS, Not Like THAT
- Sunday Sweets: Leaping Lego Lizards, Batman!
- Sorry, You Can't Have Any
- Cake Writing 201: "Congratulations"
- What's Better Than a Hockey Wreck?
- A Barry Booty-full Cake
- Game Show Results
- Cake Wrecks the Game Show?
- Sunday Sweets: Super Mario Wedding Cake
- Sadness Takes on Cake Form
- Optimus Wrecks
- THAT...Doesn't Look Like Dirt
- Stop the Insanity!!
- When Decorators Need to Practice Their Roses
- September (29)
- August (26)
- July (25)
- June (18)
- May (18)
- April (1)