Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Sweets: Shiver Me Sweets

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Good grief, are you STILL talking like a pirate? You know that ended yesterday, right?

Yes, alright, I suppose I can humor you for a little longer.

Behold, some of the sweetest ships to sail the seven seas!



These first two have the added bonus of being fondant-free. It's nice to know you can still craft a tasty craft using only buttercream.

(Made by Cakes with Character in New York)

So cute!

Those of you who enjoyed my "Boston in the fall" line yesterday will appreciate this one:

Yep, it's the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything! Love it. The wooden planks and overall design of the ship are simply superb, too. Clearly this baker does far more than stay home and lie around.

Here's the most elegant ship design I've seen:

(Submitted by Kelinda S. & made by Cake Opera Co.)

Wowza. That hand painting is exquisite.

Time for a little booty!


This amazing pirate chest was Felicia Day's birthday cake, and is posted on her Flickr stream. Melissa G. submitted it, but I don't see a baker listed. Anyone know?

And lastly, no pirate post is complete without a treasure map:

(Submitted by Ashley B. & made by Jillian's Cupcakery)

Awesome.

Oh, and as usual, if you know who made one of today's sweets (and it isn't already listed) be sure to let me know.

Have a Sweet to nominate? Send it to me at Sunday Sweets [at] Cake Wrecks [dot] com.

- Similar Sweets: (Dr.) Horrible Sunday Sweets
Anonymous said...

I'm loving that Veggie Pirates cake.

Vickie said...

Wow, I'd sail the seven seas to get a cake like one of these! The one by Cake Opera Company . . . wow! Wow! WOW!

holly said...

Love the black and white one!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the chest.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I think that black and white cake looks like a mess. The rest are great, though1

Jessica said...

I love the second cake down! And I'm collecting ideas for my sons 2nd birthday so it totally rocks that you posted those.
I want to know what they used to get the pirate shaped cake. Where did you find the picture?

Liz said...

Veggie Tales! Yeay!!!! These cakes are absolutely amazing!

Kacie said...

I absolutely love the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything cake! I remember my little sister watching this. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I think these are hand cut cakes,no pan. Which is why they are so awsome!

A Paperback Writer said...

A Pirate wedding cake?!! How cool is that?!
Okay, they're all great, but the one that looked the tastiest to me was cake #2.

Terry Lee said...

the black and white one is difficult to sort out. i'm sure it's grand but me brain's having trouble with it.

my fave is the second one. love the beautiful baby blue waves and awesome ship.

aye! a dandy job you've done today, matey!

(i talked like a pirate all day yesterday ... hubby was ready to make me walk the gang plank!)

Shelby said...

I love that black and white one. Almost makes me wish I could go back and redo my entire wedding in June, pirate themed! Maybe we'll do that for our first anniversary. ;)

Unknown said...

I LOVE the map one! I would have never thought of that aspect of pirating in designing a cake, but it's the best pirate themed cake I've ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Pictures seem smaller than usual today. The two side bars are the same size as the center... makes it hard to see the sweets.

With_apostrophe said...

A Veggietales Cake! Awesome! Though part of me wishes it were pizza...

"Pizza Angel please come to me,
Tomato sauce with cheese so gooey.
Pizza Angel please come to me,
You're my number one pie from Sicilly."

(Yeah, you'd know all the lyrics too if you'd been subjected to repeat viewings one after the other.)

john (the hubby of Jen) said...

Anon @ 12:15,

Weird. Try refreshing. Same as it ever was.

"Letting the days go by, water running underground..."

john

Unknown said...

Those are very nice!!

Pat said...

That Treasure Chest is a cake I'd love for MY birthday!

Kaede said...

22 years ago yesterday my husband and I were married. This is before "Talk like a Pirate day" We had what was for that time an unusual wedding cake, chocolate pound cake, 3 tiers covered in chocolate butter cream roses. Everyone said they loved the cake and had never seen anything like it, including the minister and the wedding photographer.
On out 25th wedding anniversary I'm getting a silver pirate cake. Or perhaps a pirate cake whose ship has silver colored sails.

Nonie said...

There's definitely something wrong with me. I look at the gorgeous second one and can't help but notice that the pennant is being blown in the opposite direction from the full sails. Interesting wind they've got there....

Shoot me now.

Anonymous said...

That is one amazing cupcake at the end!

Anonymous said...

1. Now I have to go listen to Talking Heads, John.
2. I love Pirates Who Don't Do Anything
3. I adore, love, love, love the pirate map. AND I'm moving to the same state as Jillian's Cupcakery. (Kind of far away, but it will be worth the drive.) Jillian is some sort of genius. Just sayin.

wv: fiestiva: When you're having a fiestiva, you have an excuse to eat a lot of cake.

Jennifer said...

Dang, that map cake is fabulous. I love the rope and the sand...and all of it.

Unknown said...

Veggietales, for the win.

the Pirates who don't do anything are great, and that black and white cake is incredible. Great post, jen

Anonymous said...

The black and white one is a mess. It looks like it has dead crows on it. Love the treasure chest and map cakes.

Little Lovables said...

wow, these are all amazing!

Shalmeno said...

What I wouldn't give to see a sweet Goonie's cake right now.....

Dianne said...

Interesting, people seem to either love or hate the black and white cake. I am in the love category. It's amazing!

Lucille Ball Jr. said...

oh my gosh! the pirates who don't do anything is soooo cool!

sendingtheclowns said...

I am pretty darn sure about what the black & white represents; it's scrimshaw:

"...a carved or engraved article, esp. of whale ivory, whalebone, walrus tusks, or the like, made by whalers as a leisure occupation."
Yup. They (whalers, not pirates~although they *could* have done it, too) did it to pass the time on long sojourns; I've seen some in person at a whaling museaum in (I believe)New Bedford, R.I. Beautiful work they did--and they always used black ink, as far as I know.

My Feet Hurt said...

My husband and son made a pirate ship cake for a boy scout Dad and Lad Cake Bake one year. Needless to say, theirs didn't look anything like these, but it was pretty good for two dudes that don't cook.

These, however, are fantastic. LOVE that black and white one. I'd totally eat that one!

Wendy S said...

Here's one from the Threadcakes competition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27H7UfR7Z9U&feature=related

KrysTros said...

I love the cakes! They are beautiful. I am not a fan of fondant at all so it's nice to see cakes that I would actually eat! Wonderful! - http://krystros.blogspot.com/

Jean said...

oh my. the are simply pretty!

ps you're invited to comment on my post to =)

Suzanne Dargie said...

Awwwwww! My kids would LOVE the Veggie Tales "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" cake! It's too cute to eat!

sendingtheclowns said...

By the by, I *meant that* I'd seen some actual scrimshaw carvings at the museum--NOT that I'd seen some actual whalers (whaling guys?). No pirates, either...just to clear that up.
=^~-^=

Anonymous said...

@sendintheclowns:

The whaling museum is in New Bedford, MA (trust me, my dad was born there {New Bedford, not the museum...}) and it indeed has a lovely collection of scrimshaw. I recommend it to anyone visiting the area (but especially those with a Moby Dick fixation {let the punning begin!}). With that having been said, I still like the map best. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hoooooly man, that Cake Opera Co. cake is amazing...
keep up the good work Jen :)

Jillian said...

I made the last cake! My friend submitted this as a total surprise to me, and I can't thank you enough for all the positive compliments. I made this for my friend Ashton's pirate party, and even I was pumped at how it turned out- they showed up a little early, or the rope trim would have been a little neater and on the bottom tier as well, but as my first ever try at a 2 layer cake with a theme, I'm very proud. Thanks again :)

Ashley said...

LOVE the Veggie Tales cake! :) So excited to see that. My college roommate and I still quote "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" whenever we see each other.

"I think you look like Captain Crunch."
"What? No I don't."
"Do too. You're making me hungry."

WATERBABY CHRISTINE said...

I guess I'm the only one that wants to know why there are three toilet plungers in front of cake #5.
wv: inchu
C'mon, inchu just a little curious too?

J-Designer said...

Awsome...loving the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything Cake...got the song stuck in my head now...

Melissa Hale said...

Oooh, I got a mention :) The chest cake is something I want sooo bad. Felcia twittered it on her birthday, but never said who baked it.

sendingtheclowns said...

@Anonymous/8:45,

Mass., R.I.--what's the difference?
Just kidding! ;)
Really-thanks for clearing that up!
I suspect that I'm turning a shade or two of senile, lately...but it *was* about forty years ago that I was there.
Now: who knows anything about Bedford Falls? (Just a little trivia...)

Jules said...

Wow! The third boat was so cute! =D

Summer
A Writers Den
Brown Mestizo

Anonymous said...

They're all beautiful, but why does the treasure chest come with gold-plated toilet plungers?

Becky said...

Those are all great, but I'm especially loving the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything!

Melonie said...

Now THESE are pirate cakes that would make the Flying Spaghetti Monster proud!

Nonna said...

Arrr Matey...all worth their weight in gold pieces of eight !

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I do love the chest and the map ones.
The others aren't working for me. The ships all look wonky to me. The inedible (?) sails may be part of it.
That's a major visual element that distracts from the "I want to eat that" factor.

The black and white one is extremely funereal, and gives me the creeps. Well done. But I felt the impending doom of pirates everywhere when I saw it.

Alex

Anonymous said...

The map cake is great... makes me want to go looking for the hidden treasure. I heard this was all done free-hand, takes talent to accomplish that. Kudos to the decorator!!! I bet it was a tasty as it looks.

David B said...

I hope X marks the spot where the custard is buried.

Anonymous said...

So ... this whole cake thing is apparently a pretty good idea ... look what I found on AOL's home page today as one of the articles you could link to:

http://www.holidash.com/party-central/birthday/food/bizarre-birthday-cakes?icid=main|main|dl9|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.holidash.com%2Fparty-central%2Fbirthday%2Ffood%2Fbizarre-birthday-cakes

Still like yours MUCH better, Jen!

Architect Critic said...

I love the Veggie Tales cake! Also, the treasure chest one looks quite a bit like one they did on Ace of Cakes, but I don't know for sure.

Anonymous said...

The Veggie Tales cake made me laugh because this summer I was a counselor at a theatre camp and I was in charge of the little kids. It was pirate week, so they mumbled their way through "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" on Friday Stage Day for their parents while I led them along. What a cute, nostalgic piece!

Anonymous said...

I think the black and white cake is based on the comic strip "Maakies", which features a drunken crow.

http://www.maakies.com/

Holly said...

Holly Said
The whole pirate theme was a great idea. However, i can't think of any occasion to create cakes with ships, treasure chests, and pirates. Unless, it was Halloween. And maybe if I threw a party with a pirate theme. On the other hand, the works required a lot of details. I imagine the skill level to make these cakes were not a beginners.
It also must have taken quite some time. Were these your own creation and designs? Are they as sweet as they look. My favorite one is the treasure chest. It looked like the most difficult and time consuming. I wonder if only one person worked on it or if there was any help. Is the inside hallow and were the jewls edible?
The treasure chest would be exciting to see in different colors, like pink, or white.

Suzie Q said...

Veggie Tales FTW XD
That black and white cake is pretty awesome too. I had to stare at it for a while to drink in all the details--absolutely lovely!

Sjak said...

Wow, great post! Love these sweets, esp. the Pirates who don't do anything cake. That ship is awesome!
Also great for inspiration because I am making a treasure map cake and pirate themed cupcakes for a 9th birthday next week (my treasure map is going to be way cooler than the one in this post though (brag brag brag, haha)).

Jen said...

Felicia Day's cake was made by Hansen's Bakery. It was in a response to another Twitter user.

Raye said...

I'm having a pirate themed wedding September of 2010 and I'm look for a bakery that WON'T wreck a pirate themed cake. Does anyone know of one? If not, I'm going to have to make one myself because this blog has utterly ruined my trust in professional bakeries... please help and send me an email at relient_raye@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

That Treasure Chest cake is awesome! I'd think the baker would love to get credit for it.

Cupcakes Lady said...

The treasure chest cake under the heading "Time for a little booty!" is truly a work of art. The detail involved is amazing. Hats off to the baker, whoever they may be xx

relativelycrazyfanaticalavianamerican said...

Lol, that Veggie Tales cake is awesome! I grew up with Veggie Tales, and I can still quote most of that song. (And Water Buffalo, and I Love My Lips, and His Cheeseburger...)