Friday, September 11, 2009

Patriot Day

Friday, September 11, 2009

Today you're going to see a lot of beautiful and touching 9/11 tributes. That's good. If you're like me, you're going to get a little teary-eyed, and maybe it will be a bit harder to remember all the little things you usually laugh about. Maybe that's why you're here. And you know what? That's good, too. We should celebrate our heroes. We should remember our loved ones. But we should also - and with great pride, I might add - eat patriotic donut holes.

Wait.

What?

Oh. Well, as long as it's printed on the label, then I guess it's Ok. Remember, if you don't eat your Patriotic Donut Holes, the terrorists win!

Although now that I'm looking at these things, I do see a problem: There are only red and white donut holes. No blue! Don't think I don't see what's going on here, either. That's right, Canada: I'm watching you.

Those are rather generic for Patriot Day, though, don't you think? Can we get something a little more...I dunno, holiday-specific?


Oh yes, they did. The twin towers...on a cupcake cake. (Patooie!) Wow. And...fireworks? Um. Ohhh kaaay. (Let the debate begin, again!)

Right, maybe we should head back into the generic territory:

Uncle Sam wants YOU...
to work out with teensy little dumbbells. Or turn that frown upside down - twice. Or maybe just enroll in an art class. (Uncle Sam can be a little hard to understand sometimes.)

Hm. Look, there has to be a middle ground between donut holes and icing depictions of the towers, right? How about just a nice, uplifting, appropriately-worded sentiment?


"Never Foget"?

Well, that IS pretty memorable.


Thanks to Cari, Megan, & Jolly D., who are all "unfogetable."

- Related Wreckage: A Cake Wrecks Salute
Fluffy Cow said...

The murdered donuts are just gross... number 2 is typical wreckiness... number 3??? Um.... I think I'll check back in here later to see what the rest of the class thinks. I am pretty sure I'll be forgetting number 4.

Taylor (My Older Brothers) said...

1. So Canada is opposed to blue balls?
2. I don't think I could eat the twin towers CCC. I wouldn't want to be the guy that pulled the cupcake out and tore up the image. What's next? Twin Towers 9/11 Jenga?!

Anonymous said...

Plus, there are 3 too many needles on the towers. Only one is needed, and only on one tower.

Stogoe said...

Maybe it's just two stove-pipe hats. To represent Lincoln. Yes, that's it - Two Hats for the Two Lincolns (we can't forget Future Robot Lincoln, can we?). That's much better. Right?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the smile today.

elissa said...

Those donut holes are gruesome. No disrespect to the victims and survivors, but they look like they could have been found in the debris, next to an impaled body.

Anonymous said...

Is a Foget a female Fog? You know like Smurfet.

Katie said...

"Remember, if you don't eat your Patriotic Donut Holes, the terrorists win!" Yep, that's getting tweeted.

Half Assed Kitchen said...

That is so weird. Why sweets for nine eleven? Why???

Angie (from over at www.HalfAssedKitchen.com)

Little Lucy said...

Right after September 11th a friend went to New York and I asked him to bring me back something. He brought me a snow globe of the Twin Towers with the world's ugliest confetti swirling around them when you shake it - he said they were on clearance everywhere.
Somehow I think my ugly little snow globe is in the same league with that CCC (patooie).

On a side note, I've had an odd running joke with a friend for years now about bloody donuts. I'll have to direct her to today's post to show her they really do exist.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Those donut holes need some kind of cream to get rid of that rash.

Shannon said...

Thank you for the giggle on such a serious day! I always look at the site in the morning at work and make my coworker look at the most heinous...well, I guess that would be pretty much all of them!

Karen said...

Please don't tell me I am the only one to control my scrolling to hide the picture while reading the lead in text! It's like my own private daily mini-reveal of humor. Great job as always.

WV: rociast - Was exluding Blue a rociast act by the doughnut maker?

Lauren said...

The towers CCC isnt too horrible except for the FIREWORKS. Honestly? Let's not joke about explosives near the towers. In that respect, the prevous towers cake was more respectful.

RB said...

To add to the gruesomeness of that second cake, the "cloud" above the tower on the right looks eerily like a ghost. That just ain't right.

Boozy Tooth said...

Nothing says "Never Forget" like bloody donut holes!

EdinaCake-Eater said...

Maybe "Never Foget" ("fo-ZHAY") is an exhortation to oppose something that's French, which seems a knee-jerk response for many American nowadays (e.g. "freedom fries").

Chatterley said...

The patriotic holes make me think of tampons.

K. Fall said...

The doughnut holes make it look like the terrorists already won. Bloody doughnut holes? Mmmmmmm.

Twin towers cake? Tacky. Twin Towers on a CCC? I have no words.

K-

Lian said...

1.Only RED donut holes? These must be Republican pastries. I get the red-state, blue-state thing, but I never imagined that donuts could be politically partisan...
2. At first glance, I thought the Twin Towers were being attacked by giant mutant spiders. Thanks for the clarification!

Melinda said...

I think it's only fitting that there are awful cakes to commemorate and awful day.

testing thing said...

Patriot's Day is in April.

Today is not Patriot's day.

Skye said...

I think the baker cut him/herself, bled on the donuts, repackaged them as "patriotic" and sat back to see who was crazy enough to buy them!!!

Anonymous said...

The didn't even do the WTC correctly; it looks like the top of the Sears Tower in Chcago gazing into a mirror. Sigh.

The Honorable Mayor of Bethville said...

I grew up on a farm, right? And every spring they would castrate the bull calves. The top picture? Gave me flashbacks. Thanks, Cake Wrecks!

Anonymous said...

Are those fireworks, or giant mutant icing spiders?

I thought they were spiders.

Mary said...

The donut holes are patriotic because they resemble blood spilled for our country? Bleh. Pass.

Raina said...

Wait . . . the twin towers were attacked by giant spiders? I guess I need to pay more attention to current events.

:::b r a n d i::: said...

The donut holes...um...they look like they were just cut off of some unwilling patriots, if you catch my drift. No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify...
today is "Patriot Day"

jackie31337 said...

If you look closely at the label on the patriotic donut holes, it says they're best before 7/3/09. Unless Independence Day Eve is a new US holiday, those donut holes really had a bad sense of timing.

Tindy said...

Those donut holes look like someone just tried to use them to mop up the results of a mass murder.

O______O

Jolly said...

oh the towers CCC is in really poor taste... literally?

Thanks for making me a published photographer, Jen.

Karen Kaye said...

Cake is supposed to be celebratory. There's nothing about this terrible day to celebrate. It's like bringing a cake to a funeral with a "so sorry for your loss" written in beautiful script. It may be beautiful and well done, but it just seems in poor taste.

ME! said...

Not only did the last cake forget the R, they also forgot that it's red, white, THEN blue.

What does France have to never "foget"?

ME! said...

Not only did they forget the R, they also forgot that it's supposed to be red THEN white, THEN blue!

What does France have to "never foget"?

ME! said...

Hi guys,

If I sent that twice, please disregard one of them... :)

THANKS!

Snowcatcher said...

What a great day brightener! I won't "foget" to laugh!

Anonymous said...

My first reaction to the second cake:
Oh, no, they didn't. And on a CCC, even. Some people have no shame...

The Gripes of Wrath said...

Twin Towers cupcake wreckery is pretty much the perfect example of someone having an idea and at the same time not an iota of a clue...

Evalis said...

Taylor (My Older Brothers) said...

"1. So Canada is opposed to blue balls?"

Isn't everybody? (sorry, knee jerk response. you should really phrase that differently though.)


Also, the jenga idea is so tactless i'm surprised it hasn't already been done. *googles it* (facepalm) looks like it has been done XP

Unknown said...

the teeny tiny dumbells are abstract art: it's the towers symbolizing the number 11, but they never truly "fell" because they live on in our hearts- hence, they are just bent a little.

Tricia said...

Patriotic donut holes. eh? Maybe we Canadians are just miffed that your book tour doesn't bring you our way! :)

Gotta love the strange powdery mould look of the white donuts. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't that be "Nevah Foget" ?

Sarah said...

You've got me singing Nat King Cole... "Unfogettable... in evy way."

msyendor said...

1. Powdered patriotic meatballs. Doesn't work for me.
2. Double ptooi w/lights
3. Yep, double sided, um, yeah, wreckiness.
4. R we fogetting something here?

WV: Jawsh => A shark with no teeth.

Tigerwolf said...

“Attention Wal-Mart shoppers! It appears we, um…now have a sale on Patriotic Donut Holes in the Bakery Department! We have a limited supply, so hurry to get yours! Also, er…we need clean-up in the Bakery Department pronto. And, um…when the ambulance arrives, could someone please direct the EMTs back to the, eh…Bakery Department...thank you.”

^..^

Lucille Ball Jr. said...

i will always remember 9/11. i still have bad nightmares from it.

Unknown said...

The last one with "never foget" on it looks more like "never 7oget." When did a 7 make an F?

That baker gets a big fat 7!!!! I mean.....an F

Heather in CA said...

Jen...

We come to you for a laugh and sometimes we need it more than others. Today is one of those days and I'm glad you decided to go forward with the post.

As for 'cake' 2, I am choosing to believe that those are supposed to be firecrackers (but still wrecky ones) because who would do that, really.

Kristine said...

Bloody donut holes! Wow - I don't care if they were originally for the 4th - they just look WRONG!

UptownGirlCT said...

Did you notice the patriotic doughnut holes expired on 7/3/09? I think this picture is a holdout from Independence Day!

Suzy Voices said...

The Twin Towers on a CCC is horrible. And I checked out the debate from last time, and I feel the same way about that one. I'm sure the creator had good intentions. But seeing the twin towers just reminds us of the horror. Even when I see them in pictures or movies, it really bothers me. Just to know they're NOT THERE anymore, and that so many people died.

Wendy said...

As a proud Canadian and military wife, I know that we work with the US (among others) to promote democracy and protect freedom across the world, so it generally doesn't bother me that you guys outshine us at every turn in the area of extreme, rabid patriotism. But I have to admit that when I saw those Canadian Patriotic Donut Holes, I felt a little surge of national pride. For once, WE are the frenzied, hysterical flag-wavers! Though by the looks of those things, it might have something to do with the red dye...

Anonymous said...

The CCC looks more like a couple of walkie talkies... I'll just keep telling myself that's what they are. :-/

Keeley said...

Unfogettable post Jen! (I hear Nat King Cole singing the post today). Those are teeny tiny RUBBER dumbbells--uncle Sam knows we're a nation of couch potatoes. And if you look really closely at the donut holes--looks like there's maybe a blue one in one corner. Or maybe it's, um, moldy. Ew. OK I thought bloody red donut holes were bad, but blue powdered sugar not such a good idea after all. Canada wins!

BTW,my WV is dissbal--so that's how they got those holes.

faunablues said...

I think we have completely misunderstood the second picture.

You see, this is more of an alternate scenario, of what could have been had 9/11 never happened.

One day the towers would take off on their own sea-journey. But it would not be an uneventful journey! The cake is commemorating the day where multi-colored spiders came down from the sky, in search of a building to parasitize (along with the Cloud of Doom in the upper right corner). But the towers were prepared - they each had assembled 2 huge skewers to play some sort of skewer-pachinko with the spiders, and subsequently made spider-kabobs at an All-American barbecue. The end.

Unknown said...

My first thought.... someone "foget" to add the blue balls?

Melissa said...

Is that Zac Efron behind the donut holes???

Michelle S. said...

Oh. My. God.

No.

Just no.

Unknown said...

I believe in cakes. I believe in cakes for most occasions. I believe in making occasions just as an excuse to eat cake.

But this is ridiculous.

Wreck-freaking-tastic!

Terry Lee said...

bless america's heart. there are no lengths to which we will not go to prove our jingoism (or to make a profit).

on a lighter note, i agree with others who thought giant spiders were attacking the towers. whaa??

the "never foget" cookie cake is too funny and soooo american. no child (bakery worker) left behind ...

Pauline said...

Is it just me or is there a giant koala in a diaper floating above the tower on the right on the Patriot Day Cupcake Cake?

Bilby P. Dalgyte said...

DAMMIT! Don't FOGET! It's very important to not foget these things.

Lol. Poor uncle sam :P

Sariah said...

"I'm watching you, Canada." As we all should.

dharmamama said...

Just a note to say I love your new design, and the spiffy facebook button!

I have no words for the two towers on a cupcake cake.

Lori DiBacco said...

I have actually seen a box of the donut holes at everyone's "favorite" mass retailer with the blue ones included. Awful, awful, awful! It looked like Smurfs had been castrated! :)

kjl said...

Note to self: do not drink tea while reading CW. The "teensy little dumbbells" comment made stuff come out my nose. So funny.

woobie said...

Okay, okay, I'm sorry about this folks, but at first glance the bloody donuts are well, just blood soaked red and pale white. However, if you look in the lower right hand (our right hand) one can see behind the two white ones that there is, in fact, a blue one! It's hiding, cuz it's alone in the BLOODY DONUT MASSACRE!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read through every comment so sorry if someone already said this, but WHO are these people going out and buying 9/11 cakes? Seriously...

Emily said...

As a daily cake wreck addict, I love checking your site each day. I've got to say, I cringed a little bit when I first saw what today's theme was. But after reading through today's post, and smiling a bit, I've got to compliment you on a well-done post on an emotional and tough subject. I love how you find humor in everything! You're appreciated.

RebeccaF said...

Waving from Canada!!

Etiquette Bitch said...

CW2 looks like spiders dancing atop (around? in the air?) the now-defunct towers.

why can't this sad day just be remembered with a moment of silence? it seems pretty morbid to commemorate today with cake, or donut holes, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

Why are those square cockroaches being attacked by colorful spiders?

Word Geek said...

1) Cashing in on a tragedy: cynical.

2)Cashing in on a tragedy with confectionery: tacky.

3) Doing it this ineptly? That's just insulting

I don't know how I'd feel about a well excecuted twin towers cake. i i have a feeling that anyone with the requisite attention to detail topull it off would know not to start....

I also feel a bit uncomfortable with the 'that's how the cookie crumbles' connotations...

Unknown said...

Wow. Fireworks near the twin towers. Do these people not *think* before they decorate/wrecktate? I think not!

Teeny barbells. hahaha
~Amy B

anna and the ring said...

"That's right, Canada: I'm watching you."

He he he!

Anonymous said...

Yep, taking over the world, one Timbit at a time.

Love,
Canada

Little Lovables said...

wow, so tragic, so awful, so ballishious and non delectable

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear not really very nice is it?
Interesting mementos.I was told a pal was asked by an American friend to get him a junk of berlin wall (it was being demolished at the time) on his next visit to Berlin. The pal went to Berlin but forgot about it.When he got back to Blighty,there was a message reminding him about it,as he wasnt going back to Berlin before his visit to USA he didnt know what to do, then he saw the local council were demolishing an old public toilet block near his carparking so he grabbed a lump os suitably manky old concrete and gave it to his friend.
on a later visit he was amused to see his rather right wing friend had had the lump of old masonary mounted on a polished wooden plinth with a brass plaque proudly saying Piece of the Berlin Wall !
He just couldnt say actually its from the loo in Basildon.

peewee said...

Those donut holes are TOO Funny, but what made me roll over laughing was your canada comment! HAHAHAHAH

Anonymous said...

*sings* BLAME CANADA!

step0nmi2 said...

the donut holes....gross! all I see is...nevermind. just tasteless

Megan said...

I think the comment about the Twin Towers CCC looking a bit like the Sears Tower is spot on, since I can almost see the Sears from the grocery where the offending "cake" was found.

And no, I didn't order it. Just a lucky (?) find.

Thanks for a great post, in much better taste than these wrecks.

Liz said...

it's not funny today. i normally love your site, too. =(

it's okay if you want to delete this because it seems mean-spirited or if you think i'm being a stodge. i just couldn't not tell you.

gg said...

As you remember 9/11
With solemn heart and soul
Keep your eye on the patriotic donut
Not on the patriotic donut hole

EdinaCake-Eater said...

Life imitates art-- The Onion nailed the post-9/11/01 jumble of emotions and misplaced reactions with this parody piece:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28148

A Peach said...

I vote for a new CW bumper sticker from Terry Lee:

[Cake Wrecks URL/Logo]
No child (bakery worker) left behind!


AWESOME!

Aimee said...

Today is "Patriot Day" while April 19 is "Patriots' Day". They are two completely different holidays and two separate excuses for bloody doughnut balls.

Button Ginger said...

Those dumbells......are they menat to be cheerleader pom poms?

Maybe?

Anonymous said...

The clouds, the towers, the fireworks (or red and yellow spiders)...I am all for celebrating with cake, I just think that some events should remain forever cakeless. Oh, well, I guess we should all be glad they left the planes out of it.

Ems said...

Um...do the "Patriotic Donut Holes" look like eyeballs to anyone else? Maybe they could save them for Halloween.

john (the hubby of Jen) said...

Hey Lizzie Fish,

I have to be honest as well. I moderate hundreds of comments a day and, it never fails, there are always a few saying how unfunny Jen is today and it always bums me out. You see, Jen and I pay attention to everything you guys say and it truly bothers us when you guys feel the need to say something harsh. It makes me wonder if these same people feel the uncontrollable need to tell their friends that the meatloaf is terrible when they are invited to dinner or if it's just the anonymity of the internet that brings out such brutal honesty.

*sigh*

I don't know...

john

Red Wolf said...

Why do I suddenly have Weird Al's song "Canadian Idiot" stuck in my head?

Word verification: werso.
As in, I couldn't believe these wrecks werso tacky.

Anonymous said...

1) "Blame Canada...blame Canada..it seems that everything's gone wrong since Canada came along..."

:) Kidding, of course.

2) My mouth literally dropped open. It shouldn't have, because I've been coming here for months now, and you think I'd be immune to the shock, but nope. Wowie. Bad, bad taste.

3) I really like the dumbbell one. It's just so ambiguous--cracked me up. "Hmmm...I don't know what to put on this cake. Red and blue, obviously, but what patriotic symbols are there? Fireworks? Nope, too hard. Um. I guess I'll make some blobs. And some lines. There. Thank goodness we have these plastic flags or I don't know WHAT I'd do!"

Unknown said...

I will fully admit that this is wrong and tacky, but I laughed out loud at the Jenga comment.
It's been such a depressing day on the news, b/c all the channels are non-stop remembrance ceremonies and commentary by survivors (and it's also gloomy out) that I'm glad for any attempt at levity.

Especially when it's levelled at these cakes.

These are just....Hm. I mean...Hm.

(WV= poris. Hm. As in "I think 9/11 is a poris-cuse for a cake"? Or "poris is an accurate description of these cakes"?)

Mella said...

The donut holes look more like bloody cotton balls

D.B. Echo said...

Those "Patriotic Donut Holes" look like slightly used grapeshot. Probably very popular with Civil War reenactors.

check out fishing in the sky said...

very funny like the idea of a building jenga-Taylor (My older Brother) "build it tall and leaning then just watch it fall"

anyway please check out and comment on a blog called fishing in the sky.

Pippin said...

Lizzie Fish,

Even the most solemn of days needs to have laughter. By laughing and living, you aren't disrespecting those that were taken. On the contrary you are honoring them by continuing to live rather than shutting down. If you do nothing but live in fear and never laugh, even on a day like today, you are letting those that did this horrible act win.

If you can't find the laughter today, it is understandable, but don't get down on others for trying to live and laugh each and every day.

Anonymous said...

I sort of see the connection with the donuts - they are to remind us to donate blood!!! YUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!

Steph :)

~ L. K. said...

In the last one, all I see is a Stalin star.

(A Stalin star is essentially a red star. They were EVERYWHERE in Russia during the USSR. You were not an architect if your building did not include at least 10 of them.)

Unknown said...

Lol . . . makes me want to watch South Park again.

Oh, and for the record, I do tell my friends when I hate the meatloaf. Otherwise they might feel compelled to serve it to me again, so it's best to get that out in the open. Personal issues with other people's blogs? Nah, that just means the commentary will be that much more interesting for the day. :)

archersangel said...

their haerts are in the right place....i think

Anonymous said...

Hey don't look at us for the "patriotic donut holes." Unless the Confectioners' Secret Intelligence Service (hey, you didn't know that's what CSIS stands for?) is more cunning than I give them credit for, they'd have labelled them Timbits.

As for the second cake - I certainly get the need to do positive, enjoyable things today, and cake is certainly enjoyable, but putting the Towers on it just seems like kind of a poor choice.

~Mel

Mrs. Mom said...

I needed this laugh today. Thanks.

The Herings said...

Thanks for the laugh. I'm watching some 9/11 tributes and needed a quick pick me up.

cx420ns said...

why do all you people want blue balls? =D

Jen said...

Ok. I knew nobody that was in the Twin Towers or who was even in New York when the Twin Towers were hit. Nevertheless, it's a sensitive topic with me...because I happen to love my country and when people seek to destroy it, I tend to have a problem with it. A few friends of mine sent me a picture of the Twin Towers burning today via a text message. I had a huge fit! I guess because I felt that it was a innapropriate picture to be sending around, not only today, but any day. Now, to see them on a cupcake cake (ptooey)...hmmm...I donno...I just feel that it isn't appropriate...maybe the "Never Fogot" is ok though. Sorry to be long winded...but I did enjoy the other pictures! :D

busyjanet said...

Cake is for celebration.
Today is for contemplation.
CCC's are desecration.
'Nuff said.

Angie said...

What the F is that 3rd thing supposed to be? Really.

#2 is rather tacky, especially if it was packaged for sale on any 9/11 (this one or last years, whichever) and the fireworks... that's just not right.

wv: squent
If you squent at that third cake, you can sort of see a... oh. Never mind. It's nothing.

Amber said...

I'm sorry but my first thought when I saw those donut holes is that they looked bloody! Some blue might have saved them!

lizzydee said...

These doughnuts look like blood was splatter all over them!!

Christine said...

Maybe it's NBC's salute to fireworks.

Katie said...

Wow. Who puts the Twin Towers on a cake? A CUPCAKE cake? Surrounded by FIREWORKS?!? Does anybody think about the fact that they're going to have to break it apart and bite down? You don't have a cake at a funeral made to resemble the deceased.

Also, that cloud on the right looks like it has a face on it. Is it supposed to be a ghost? That's just a whole 'nother level of disturbing.

Frankly, I think blue donut holes would have been pretty unappetizing, though it would perhaps have lessened the blood-spattered look. Does the existence of these mean that other donut holes are UNpatriotic?

Anonymous said...

Are those ladderball throws on that one cake?! An American tradition.. God bless America!

gategeek said...

Now let's just set one thing straight...if we were going for Canadian patriotism...they would DEFINITELY NOT be called "donut holes." Timbits. TIM-BITS. Red and white timbits, now that's Canadian. :)
And speaking of our secret plans to take over all your wreckerated cakes...those "dumbbells" look suspiciously similar in shape to Nathan Phillips Square...from an aerial view of course (that's Toronto City Hall for those of you who don't know the great white north).

quichepup said...

The patriotic donut holes would go over big here. I live in a red state (red is even part of the official name) and the colors of the state university my son attends are red and white (or crimson and cream if you feel fancy). Patriotism is popular here, donut holes are even more popular and it looks like a big win, as long as no one thinks about 9/11. Just slap a "official licensed collegiate product" sticker over the expiration date and watch 'em sell.

I can't imagine a good reason for a 9/11 cake but I think that's the point.

Brandi Wiggins-Côté said...

I come everyday to read your seriously hilarious commentary on the magnificent wreckage but never leave a comment. Today I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that I snorted Diet Pepsi out my nose when I read the "Canadians, I'm watching you" line. Thanks for the slightly painful laugh!

Brandi

Martha said...

I've read down through each and every comment and for once I didn't find someone else who had the same idea as I did..therefore, I will throw this out there. The dumbell cake looks like the Obama logo to me. If you look at the cake as a whole, that's what I see. Anyone else?

Anonymous said...

lol FAIL to whoever said today wasn't Patriot Day. Time to buy a calendar.

And an even bigger FAIL on the TT cupcake cake. ::facepalm::

Thanks for the laugh today. :)

Anonymous said...

Well as a Canadian let me assure about a few donut related things up here in the frozen wasteland:
1. Our donuts come from Tim Hortons
2. Tim's brews week coffee and its signage colours are brown and yellow
3. For a very long time Tim's made their dontus fresh- then the US company Wendy's (the burger business !?!) bought them and Tim's began deepfrying pre-made globs of dough, shipped in from central warehousing.
4. Some of us are still bitter
5. I am not one of those bitter Canuck's -you sent us Starbucks - all is forgiven.

PS - I will forever remember 9/11 and the phone call my brother in law made to my parents from the Pentagon that morning, relieving my family of our dread. I mourn for your losses. May God bless you and keep you.

TexGuy said...

I love the "The More You Know" star thingy on the last one :-D

Ash Hanlon said...

Iflumpthereforeiam ... wow. this has to be an American thing right? I'm bang alongside the fact you have a cake for pretty much everything- personally i think cake makes everything better except your dress size... but the cakes with pictures of national tragedies? even with the addition of mutant spiders? ... only in America! I can't imagine blood soaked donut holes going down well over here either.

That said... like most of the world, I remember when the Towers went down, I remember where I was, and what I was doing... and that was not a good day. I wish our country (Britain) commemorated events with more... Americanness. But... without the CCC. Or the blood donuts.

Jennifer said...

When I first saw the title of your blog and clicked on it, my heart sank. I figured there was no way that you could have any cake wrecks for today that would be "funny" - I figured this would be a very tasteless (excuse the pun of sorts) post, and was very glad to see that you pulled this off with respect, even WITH wrecks. (Because as I'm sure you intended, when I first started reading the post, I thought that today's tribute would not be wrecks, but you led into them very nicely and in a way that I didn't find offensive.) Not that I've ever found you to be inconsiderate, but this day hits such a tender spot with me. Even though I'm Canadian, we seem so intertwined with the US, that 8 years ago, "we" were attacked. It wasn't just the US that was attacked, and it wasn't just because we're neighbors, but the whole world felt attacked.

I guess to sum it up, I'm saying that you did an EXCELLENT job on this one.

P.S. Beware, that Canada is watching YOU, too! lol

And P.P.S. - Taylor's comment about Canada is awesome!

Shanti said...

Maybe the donut holes are Republican? (As in, from a "red state"?)

mio said...

On that last one I saw "Never Foqet" which, if you try to pronounce it....

Mira8 said...

the donut holes look like those edible eyeball candy you see at Halloween - yuck!!

NYCGirl said...

The Twin Towers cake really makes me uncomfortable. How tacky. Who could eat that?

Anonymous said...

Those donut holes remind me of a scene from the Grindhouse film "Planet Terror" -- eeewww!

Kella said...

I saw little yellow and red spiders before I saw fireworks. They're kinda cute... Until you see the two towers underneath them.....NEVER FOGET!

Laney said...

Re: patriotic donut holes : Damn! FOILED!!




(I'm Canadian, ha ha, I know)

Brian said...

Well blue donut holes wouldn't work because it would look too much like mold, and we can't have people being disgusted when looking...at...this...er...food. Yeah, anyway, stay classy Wal-Mart!

Anonymous said...

I find those bloody donut holes incredibly disturbing.

BoxerNYC said...

9/11 is not about patriotism or about our troops. It certainly isn't about freedom. Many people died and so did a part of New York. Cakes to commemorate the date are offensive and disrespectful. It's ridiculous to have a Pearl Harbor cake or one recalling acts of genocide in Rwanda. These awkward attempts at capitalizing on an act of terrorism that deeply affected a lot of people is wrong and not something that should be taken so lightly. I appreciate the banter and sillyness on cakewrecks but not for this day.

Anonymous said...

why am i the only one wondering what civil war cannonballs (obviously fresh from the battle field) have to do with 9-11?

Noa said...

My 3-year-old son often views the cake wrecks with me...like most kids any combo of sugar, butter and fun colors is appealing. And he's usually really good about identifying what the cake is (or looks like). however, when he got to the third cake (Uncle Sam...) he looked totally stumped and when I said "What is that?" he replied, "ummm, its....ummm, i think....Mom, stop showing me weird pictures!"

Anonymous said...

never forget refers to vets, DUH!

Shift said...

p.s. shut the heck up about canada

john (the hubby of Jen) said...

Mr,

I'm totally confused. Did Jen offend you somehow?

john

Anonymous said...

That's not the Twin Towers! It's the Sear's Tower and the Handcock Center shot at a very odd angle!

Magpie said...

If you leave the donut holes alone long enough, the "blue" problem will take care of itself....

Andrea said...

Perhaps the Patriotic donut holes are only red and white so nobody has to deal with being given Blue Balls. They were being sensitive!!!

Anonymous said...

Tony says;

I guess these prove that here are some really stupid people out there making our pastries. Honestly, Who would put the towers on a cake? That's just in poor taste. And who misspells forget....on a giant cookie!!! How do these people make it to work?

Gary said...

I'm not at all sure what "Foget" means, but it probably IS something you should never do.

Making cakes like these, on the other hand, is something no one should ever, ever do.

Katie, the freak of nature said...

I think those "fireworks" are spiders. Or bodies. Or both. And why the fireworks, anyway? Are these people terrorists? And why no wreckage? DID IT JUST HEAL ITSELF?!?!?! Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too Everlost for me.

Peace, love, and cheese to all of you out there.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure number two is a submarine; since there are some hawaiian palm trees and lots of water. Think outside the box. ;D