Thursday, January 27, 2011
Thursday, January 27, 2011
In honour of "Clean Out Your Inbox Week," we've decided to respond to a few of those emails here.
Dear Jen and John,
I've had a hard week! With my in-laws coming to visit and my water breaking, I've had no time to myself! I finally found solitude when I locked myself in the bathroom for six hours on Saturday and read through the Cake Wrecks archives on my laptop. (Had to stop when Aunt Tilda had to go "Number Twosies.") Just wanted to say thanks for the laughs and also ask how do you keep from getting stressed out?
Crying tears of joy,
I assume you meant to write that your water "heater" broke. However, we recently found ourselves in a similar situation when family came to visit over the holidays (only we chose to lock ourselves in the closet, not the bathroom). We restored our sanity by relaxing, meditating, and focusing on the love we have for each other.
And we also got drunk and ate lots of chocolate.
Don't forget to flush,
john (the hubby of Jen)
Dear Cake Wrecks,
While I generally consider myself a "humorous" person, I must admit I was deeply offended by a recent joke you made on your site. There is nothing at all funny in this punchline:
As the dealer for the Vegan Underwater Polish Canasta Team, I think you should consider your readers who hold the Joker in high regard. It is not a joke, Cake Wrecks. It is one of the most important cards in the deck.
Unfollowing. It's been fun.
We apologize for offending you and the other members of the Vegan Underwater Polish Canasta Team. We realize the Joker can be very important and will be sure to reference it in a higher regard next time we feature a wrecked playing card cake.
We plan to post the following cake next week and we sincerely hope your team won't be offended.
All the best-
Please vote for my cat Smuckers in the Kennel Treats "Cutest Pet Sweepstakes!" The more votes my cat gets, the more chance we have to win! So vote often, and forward this email to all your friends!!
-Jeanna and Smuckers
Though we appreciate your interest and highly personalized e-mail, I'm afraid we get too many requests for online votes to grant ours to little Smuckers.
Plus we thought this guy was cuter:
Best of luck anyway!
Our deepest thanks to readers Fifi B., Theresa K., Jennifer D., Emily P., and Roberta for sending us emails with photos of cakes in them... and not just asking us to claim our winnings in the Euro Millions email promotion.
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- August (7)
- July (27)
- June (28)
- May (27)
- April (28)
- March (29)
- February (26)
- Oh My Stars!
- Sunday Sweets: So Stinkin' Cute
- The Question Mark Is In Case You're Just Getting F...
- Well Met, Helmet
- Sunday Sweets: Fun Wedding Cakes
- Stairway to Heaven
- A Day In The Life
- Sick as a Dog
- Spelling Be
- Easy, Cheesy, "Beautiful"
- Sunday Sweets: Pretty As A Princess
- Hats Off For Hats
- Boom, Boom, Acka Lacka Lacka Boom!
- The Cake Wrecks Phenomenon
- Project Wreckway
- Move Over, Lunchables
- Sunday Sweets: Must-See TV
- Cheat Sheet Cakes
- Directionally Challenged
- Resolution Time
- The Cake Wrecks Hangover Cure
- Sunday Sweets: Baby Cakes
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- July (33)
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)