Thursday, April 22, 2010
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Yep, for you wreckies who've joined us in the past year, Epcot made its unintentional Cake Wrecks debut in honor of Earth Day, 2009. You can read the original post here, but in a nutshell: I posted a Spaceship Earth cake, and then made the mistake of calling it a Spaceship Earth cake. We then got about fifty billion comments (give or take fifty billion) telling us it was NOT Spaceship Earth, but Epcot. Many also helpfully pointed out that you could tell it was Epcot by the Disney font used on the cakeboard.
Now, as every Disney Geek knows, Epcot is the theme park and Spaceship Earth is the Big Golf Ball™ - and I am a huge Disney Geek. Plus, and here's the part that was especially painful/hilarious, John and I made the cake.
(Yeah, I know it's not great. That's why I posted it. However, I am one of only two or three people on the planet who've ever even attempted a Spaceship Earth cake. So, you know, I've got that going for me.)
Now, in honor of this auspicious occasion I would like to shower you with Earth and/or Spaceship Earth wrecks.
Unfortunately, despite extensive research performed during the commercial breaks for Dancing with the Stars (Go, Niecy!), I couldn't find any.
Still, I feel you deserve some kind of reward for reading this far without any new wreckage. So, here, I found you another Disney icon that's gray and round:
Wow. Just look at the size of that head! I'm not kidding, that is a huge noggin'! It's a virtual planetoid! It has its own weather system! And it's giving me an excuse to quote Stuart Mackenzie!
Oh, and if you look closely, you can see that he recently swallowed a small globe. Or has a globe-shaped tumor growing out of his shoulder - take your pick. Whichever: Hel-looo! Earth Day tribute!
Mandy P., try to work "like Sputnik: spherical but quite pointy in parts" into as many conversations today as possible. Because the earth needs you, that's why.
- Related Wreckage: Happy Earth Day to You...
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- Literally Puzzling
- A "Dreme" Come True
- The Cat's Meow
- Flotsam Plops
- When Cake Becomes a Crime
- Sunday Sweets: Gettin' Crafty
- Dolly Wants to Play...
- The Day the Spaceship Earth Stood Still
- Let Me Continue to Count the Ways
- Let Me Count the Ways
- Taking the Mickey Out of 'Em
- Sunday Sweets: Cutesy Wootsy
- Getting a Bad Vibe Here...
- Five Awesome Things
- The Teacher Tearjerker
- Once in a Lifetime Wrecks
- Don't Toy With Me, Man
- Sunday Sweets: Hope Springs Eternal
- Sobering Celebrations
- More Monkey Business
- This Just In
- The Trouble with Technology
- Easter Indiscretions
- Sunday Sweets: Happy Easter!
- Lamb Fleeces
- Pastry Pranks
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2009 (420)