Sunday, September 6, 2009
Sunday, September 6, 2009
Yep, behold the glory of our brand new site design! Thanks for the many lovely comments so far; I do hope you'll all find it more streamlined and purty-like.
Shout-out time: many MANY thanks to Awesome Aric (yes, I think that's how I shall refer to him from now on) of Tiki Kitchen Design. Aric has been working with me and John for weeks now, and for every "hey, what if we tried THIS?" he gave us multiple options and somehow managed to mask his desire to throttle us with unbridled patience and enthusiasm. Those of you familiar with web design know just how difficult it is to design a customized site in Blogger, so the fact that Aric was willing to try - and had the skills to write code from the ground up when necessary - has been a godsend. We'll be continuing to tweak some of the links and pages this week, but in the meantime y'all be sure to thank Aric in true CW fashion, k?
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- Sarcasm! Wow, That's ORIGINAL!
- San Francisco Summary
- I Call Fowl
- 'Twas a Sweet & Starry Night in the Jet City
- You Can't Get There from He-ah
- Powell's Portland Pastry Party
- Sunday Sweets: Tour De Force, Pt 1
- The (Wedding) Ring
- Nifty Neat-O Penmanship
- Growing Geek Girls
- About Last Night...
- Pioneering Pastries
- "Serious" Eats
- The Cake Wrecks "Virtual" Tour
- Sunday Sweets: Shiver Me Sweets
- To Err is Human, To Arr is Pirate
- Two Thumbs Up!
- Wrecks Interrupted
- Not-So-Passive Aggressive Cakes
- Creepy Crawly Cakes
- "World" Tour Final Countdown
- I'm This Many
- A Whale of a Tale
- Sunday Sweets: Ribbons and Lace
- We Are SO Gonna Get In Trouble For This One...
- Patriot Day
- Sweet, Sweet Irony
- Blimey, Somebody Call 999!
- Book Release Update - Don't Panic. :)
- Multiple Choice Wrecks
- Happy Labor Day!
- Like Our New Look?
- Sunday Sweets: WoW
- Vroom Vroom
- I Think I'll Have the Salad Today...
- Blame Decopac
- If You Want Something Done Right...
- The Most Wonderful Time...
- ▼ September (38)