Friday, July 17, 2009
Friday, July 17, 2009
I like to think one of the reasons Jen was first attracted to me (besides my devastating, Kiefer-Sutherland-before-he-got-too-skinny-on-24 good looks*, of course) is my natural affinity for sports. Sure, I don't like to watch them much, or talk about them, or really play any, but I am way more knowledgeable on the subject than Jen is. (Granted, Jen thinks 4D chess deserves its own Olympic category, so that's not saying much, but still...)
Anyway, I've been asked to shed a little testosterone-fueled light on some of these here basketball cakes. Here goes.
The first thing to know is that the ball is round. Like so:
(In the decorator's defense, it is really hard to make a round cake. It’s not like they make pans for that kind of thing.)
This baker solved the round problem with a classic "spinning rug of poo on a bed of scrapple" approach:
Then again, maybe it's not spinning so much as it is sprouting ear hair... which raises a bunch of other questions I won't get into right now.
(Oh, and this is probably a good place to mention that it’s never a good idea to change tips and/or Wreckerators mid-cake. Nobody likes mismatched balls.)
Next we have the ever popular basketball-flower-with-an-obligatory-face cake:
What’s with all the faces on balls anyway? Is there a rule that says that all round objects on a cake have to be looking at you?
And if so, what kind of occasion calls for a nauseous basketball, anyway?
At least this last one looks happy, if a bit demented.
Aaaand we’ve come full circle with the round thing again. Given that they're both dreaded CCCs *ptooie* , that's not much of a surprise.
So in conclusion, sports are an inspiring blah blah blah full of life lessons blah blah blah, funny joke that showcases my wit and charm... blah blah.
Jessica S., Hallie S., Tara M., Erin K., and Ann Marie W., try to contain yourselves, please; I'm happily married**.
- Related Wreckage: Have a Ball!
* Jen wrote that, not me. (I would have gone with a Matt Damon/Brad Pitt mash-up.)
**And by "happily" I mean "ecstatically overjoyed with every passing day" - er, did I get that right, Sweetie?
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- Come Meet Jen, Who Often Refers To Herself in the ...
- Who Cut the Cheese?
- Just Beachy
- Reality Bites
- Freud Would Be Proud
- Sunday Sweets: Threadcakes
- Weee Are The Champions...
- Good Luck!
- A Womb with a View
- This Should Even Things Out
- CW's Biggest Fans?
- I'm Guessing They Didn't Have a Matching Card
- Say What?
- Sunday Sweets: More Potter!
- A Series of Unfortunate Monograms
- Basket Case
- Hello, Kitty?
- "Baby" Showers
- Does This Cake Make Me Look Fat?
- Beauty is Only Skin Deep
- Sunday Sweets: Harry Potter
- Early Detection is Key
- Love is in the Air...
- Copyright Unfringement
- Christmas in July: Going Dutch
- Who Ordered the Poo Poo Platter?
- Well, I'm Stumped
- Sunday Sweets: Transformers
- Happy 2ndapendance Day
- ...and so fourth
- Taking Liberties
- Happy Canada Day!
- Considering the Uterus
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)