Friday, July 3, 2009
Friday, July 3, 2009
But seriously, *heh* we've gotten a whole bunch of Fourth of July cakes and it would be a shame not to share them. "Would you say we have a plethora of cakes?" you ask. Si, Elguapo, si.
Allow me to start with what I like to call a "wait...what?" cake:
Let's take it step by step here:
1. Start with an airbrush. 'Cuz ya gos ta show off yo mad skillz.
2. Realize you don't know how to do anything but wonky lines with said airbrush.
3. Pull out trusty icing bag and try to fake us all out with hastily splooged border and stars.
4. Add red, white and blue sprinkles to distract viewers from step #2.
Next we have donuts:
Yes, doughnuts. Because they were feeling left out of all the patriotic splooging. On a side note, I've seen my share of brightly colored icing before but this stuff makes me want to chuck it in a lead barrel and bury it in a mountain somewhere.
Remember the days when decorators would at least try to make a CCC (hwok...hwok...snort...ptooie!) look like something?
Yeah, those were the days. I particularly like the blue over spray on the cake board here for that extra special "Meh, who gives a flying squirrel?"* touch.
If you think I'm going to touch this with a ten-foot pole, you've got another thing coming.**
Thanks, all, for bearing with us on Jen's day of woozyloopytudeness. She should be back soon - same bat time, same bat channel - so stay tuned.
*See? Look how family-friendly I am!
**Ok, never mind.
Thanks to Sarah C., Lesli W., Gilian, and Amy G. WRECK ON!
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- Come Meet Jen, Who Often Refers To Herself in the ...
- Who Cut the Cheese?
- Just Beachy
- Reality Bites
- Freud Would Be Proud
- Sunday Sweets: Threadcakes
- Weee Are The Champions...
- Good Luck!
- A Womb with a View
- This Should Even Things Out
- CW's Biggest Fans?
- I'm Guessing They Didn't Have a Matching Card
- Say What?
- Sunday Sweets: More Potter!
- A Series of Unfortunate Monograms
- Basket Case
- Hello, Kitty?
- "Baby" Showers
- Does This Cake Make Me Look Fat?
- Beauty is Only Skin Deep
- Sunday Sweets: Harry Potter
- Early Detection is Key
- Love is in the Air...
- Copyright Unfringement
- Christmas in July: Going Dutch
- Who Ordered the Poo Poo Platter?
- Well, I'm Stumped
- Sunday Sweets: Transformers
- Happy 2ndapendance Day
- ...and so fourth
- Taking Liberties
- Happy Canada Day!
- Considering the Uterus
- ▼ July (33)