Thursday, October 7, 2010

For Your Consedration

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Hello Dear email owner,

I am email to inform you that you are winning €951,968.76 EUR ($1,284,205.84 USD) in the 2010 Euro Millions email promotion. To claim winning prize moneys of €951,968.76 EUR ($1,284,205.84 USD), please to contact Barrister Felix A.G. for verify winnings with social secrutiny number or credit card number. Congrallations and...

Most truly yours,
Prince Hobubu


Thanks, Liz K. Did I mention I was stuck in London with no money? Could you help me out? I promise I'll pay you back.
Anonymous said...

Did you see that you made the Social Networking Map 2010?? The "Lake of Cake Wrecks" !! LOVE it.

http://mashable.com/2010/10/06/map-online-communities/

Catherine said...

THAT is Hi-larious! And happy a nice day to you too.

Jules AF said...

haha! Excellent post.

Custom Cakes by Penny said...

You got that e-mail too??? Really??? Wow! We both won! I'm expecting my check any day now. I sent them my SS number, bank routing numbers, credit card numbers, mother's maiden name, bra size and the TV remote.

Mrs. Q. said...

snort.

Unknown said...

(crickets)....did I miss something?

Deirdre said...

No, no, no, you can't be the winner, because I am. I also just checked my email to learn that a friend had been mugged in Madrid . . . I'm going to send her all my winnings!

Erin Knightley said...

No - *I* am the winner of said funds!! I better send my ss number stat so I get the money before you!

Hilarious :)

Christie said...

I laughed harder at this one than I've laughed in a LONG time (although every day at CW is snort-worthy). Today's just hit my funny bone in the right place!

Michelle S said...

I got that London one on facebook too! Pretty creepy.

Great post though!

Lucky Wife/Bookaholic said...

I have been getting a TON of these lately...

Anonymous said...

Conflagrations to you and to Penny!

Norine

mn_me said...

Now how you guys have both won???

The e-mail I got said ++I++ won... (foot stomping heard in the background). I sent in all that personal info along with my first born child so I hope my check is on the way...

They better not have been fooling with ME!

(wink, wink)

Addie

Robin @ Bird On A Cake said...

Love it! Thanks for the laugh!!

Connie Moreno said...

Hey, I thought I was the only one the Price wrote to.

Anonymous said...

So Funny!

Stella said...

I LOVE it. My new saying from now on. I can't even say it without LOL.

Gary said...

Wow, we're all rich here.

Hmmm, should "happy" be a verb?

"I was feeling down, but then Emily came by and happied me up."

Shanti said...

Bravo on "Social Secrutiny"! I had to double-check to make sure I'd read it properly.

(Have you heard MC Frontalot's nerdcore rap about email scams? It would make a great audio accompaniment to this post.)

Anonymous said...

Is that Barrister any relation to the Car Talk guys' law firm-
Dewey, Cheetam and Howe?
Love your post.
mocking

Evalis said...

i get those emails all the time. The funniest ones are the ones coming from heads of state, or better yet PREVIOUS heads of state. There was one from Fidel Castro that was my favorite...

And that smiley face isn't round.

Kelly H said...

I got one of these faxes the other day at work! The son of the president of Liberia needs my help and I'll get 30% of his inheritance that his father (Exiled president currently living at the Hague) set up for him in American currency and banking systems. Did I mention that he sent this to me from a fax machine in a refugee camp?

Daya said...

I just deleted 6 of those e-mails this morning. I must be one of the luckiest people on the planet to win so many lottos.

S.J. Gokey-Hartsfield said...

Somehow, I managed to get the London Lottery one a month or so after I got back from visiting London... for one brief, blissful moment, I thought it might actually be real...

Yeah, not so much.

Danger Boy said...

I get so many of the 419 scam emails. For a really good laugh regarding them, check out 419eater or scambaiter...both funny sites.

Happy a nice day!

Angie said...

Love it!

Craig said...

A CCC (patooie!) is what the senders of these excretions deserve.

Have a mice day, scammers. May the (police) force be with you (speedily).

Annah said...

Oh my God if I had a dollar for everyone of those emails I receive I would SERIOUSLY have some moola in the bank.

Siouxzr said...

Everyone gets stuck in London, even people on my email list who have never been across the Atlantic send emails saying they are stuck there.

Is there some sort of black hole like force that sucks people in and holds them there until they update their virus protection software?

Anonymous said...

Of course I will help you your highness, you sound so sincere & after all, I'm rich now - aren't I?

How many thousands would you like?

HRH said...

Please, Everyone,

Settle down! There will be enough of my fortune for everyone. Just keep sending your SSN's and my secretary will take care of the paperwork.

Sincerely Yours,
Prince Hobubu

Penelope said...

Love the Aladdin reference with "Prince Hobubu"... or at least I hope it was an Aladdin reference!

Allison said...

I think "Happy a nice day" is going to be my new catchphrase.

Unknown said...

OMG! I never won anything on a blog before! I didn't even know I'd entered! Woot! Yay me!

My Social Secrutiny Number is 16.

Thanks so much! You definitely happied my nice day!

drgns4vr said...

When sales people would tell my husband to "Have a nice day",he would reply "Thanks, but I have other plans."

Tami said...

lololololol!!1 :D

Anonymous said...

*giggle* *giggle* *snort*

I must have some really good spam protection, as I never have to hear the word unless heading to THE Monty restaurant.

Love Hobubu's note, though, spewing spam at my console. 'secrutiny' Ha!

My son's response to "Have a nice day!" is "Don't tell me what to do!"

Happie a nice day.
Sinsurly,
~~Di

Anonymous said...

Happy A Nice Day!

Oy!

Unknown said...

Hmm. funny, I've gotten that email so many times that I will never have to work again! Just waiting for it.... Any day now.... guess I will have to amuse myself while I wait by looking at cakewrecks!

R said...

*snickers*

Susan said...

"Happy A Nice Day" will be my new slogan.

Mary Kirkland said...

How can you be the winner when they told me that I was. *laughing* They only wanted all my information and my first born! That's not too much to ask, is it?

It would be funnier if it weren't so sad thinking that for every person who knows it's a scam there is at least one person getting scammed.

Anonymous said...

Congrallations - sounds like a word verification word. Speaking of which:

WV: milness - a mild illness

Justine said...

Prince Hobo it is you who are lucky! You have won the Goldbury bake off! Please send your credit card number so we can credit the prize winning funds to your account! Oh did we mention we're stuck with 400 non winning cakes? Would you like to buy one for charity? Only 29.95 plus S&H?

Stephanie said...

Very well job with the engrish!!!

Anonymous said...

its so bad, its funny,lol

HiyaCake said...

I LOVE CAKE

Carol said...

My whole email address book got that letter from me today. It seems I lost my wallet in Spain this morning. The contents of my wallet won't get me to work next week.

Anonymous said...

I wish you had a "like" button for the comments. Custom Cakes by Penny's is hysterical!

WV-jecerle-jecerle we've all won!

Anonymous said...

....................

I dun gettit???

P.s my captcha is enteding

Brooke said...

HAH! Loved it! But it should have been titled "For Your Consternation!"

PS: Lolz to Custom Cakes by Penny for the tv remote remark!

drunyon said...

Aladdin reference is win.

Tricia L said...

How did you type this post with Spell Check and Grammar Check screaming at you? (Personally, I yell back "I have a degree in journalism, and I can write a sentence without a verb if I want to!!!!")

Anyway, love this post. I'd pass along my sure-fire ways to spot one of these from just the name and subject line, but the spammers might be reading and clean up their acts.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to check my email from the director of the FBI.

Anneke (Mudhooks) said...

Here is a terrific posting on a scam on the scammers... Hilarious!

"One of the golden rules of scambaiting is 'make your scammer do all the work'. Tie the guy up. Make his life miserable by dragging out the dealings for as long as humanly possible. What better way to keep a scammer busy than to make them copy an entire book by hand?

First of all, I get the standard 419 scam introduction from Barrister Issah."

http://419eater.com/html/joyce_ozioma.htm

Kirsten said...

And here you thought you had to buy a ticket to win. Lucky you!!

;) - Kirsten

Anonymous said...

Okay, I must confess, I would buy that cake. The smile is just so endearing! Happy a nice day to you, too, Mister Smiley!

P.S. My cousin got stranded in London with no money, too! Seems to happen to everybody these days...

BADKarma! said...

I want a "Happy a nice day" t-shirt!!!!

WV - scompan: Dere's scompan wrong weeth dees wreckerators, I theenk...

Arlene said...

Lol I just love getting those emails. Heck I could really be a billionaire!! Wishes I could just ship those idiots a wreck so they would stop the spamming lol.

Enlarge said...

Wow, love that

Fender said...

I SEE THAT ALADDIN REFERENCE YOU DID THURR.

H.J.D said...

I would come and save you Jen, but we British have the most expensive train system on THE ENTIRE EARTH.

CC said...

Anneke, that 419 eater was BRILLIANT. Thank you for brightening my day :)

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! These scammers are taking it farther than emails now. I had someone find my cake website online and I got a ttdy call (I think that is what its called?)from some guy who wanted to order a cake and had this elaborate thing planned. I actually fell for it at first because i didnt realize what it was. This guy later sent me an email with photos of the cake he wanted and additional instructions. The things he was saying seemed super fishy, so I researched it and apparently other cake businesses have gotten calls like that too. Sad.

Anyways, awesome post, as usual. :)

Sami said...

Is that an Aladdin reference at the end I detect?

sloopy1975 said...

LOL it's funny that you mention the stuck in London thing cuz my email and my facebook got hacked about a month ago and all my email contacts got email saying that we were stuck in London and we were attacked and my husband was in the hospital still and I needed "funds" to get home to the states... they were also chatting with my FB contacts giving them the same story...

*gloomgirl* said...

I got the same London stuff on Facebook too! I kept screwing with this person asking questions because it was under a high school friend I hadn't spoken to since high school!