Saturday, July 25, 2009

Good Luck!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

You're going to need it with these decorators.


Wow, first last week's "KKKake", and now this. Well, there's nothing like an unintentionally racist cake to spice up a send-off party, I always say.


"Raaawr! Luck good! Kimmie want cake! Cake good!!"


Well, that's not nice at all.


I'd say this cookie cake has a "good lack" of proper spelling and handwriting abilities. Yeesh. Stay in school, kids!


Blair G., Kimmie S., Amanda B., & Sarah G., I wish you excellent fortune.


- Related Wreckage: That's Way Better Than "Good"
Taylor (My Older Brothers) said...

These hurt my brain. Having an English degree makes you more likely to have a grammar-error-induced stroke.


myolderbrothers.blogspot.com

p jane said...

Oh my...I read "Good Jack" on the last one which sent my mind to the wrong place...

Boozy Tooth said...

Good Jack? Seriously?

theotherworldly said...

I was getting worried that "Good Luck" and misspellings could easily produce a few choice examples of profanity that would make this blog child-unfriendly, if you know what I mean, wink wink!

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Yikes. That last one looks like the cookie cake my preschoolers made me for my birthday! How old do people have to be to work at Mrs. Field's?

Anonymous said...

i don't know if i'm being pc or not, but i have no idea why that first cake is unintentionally racist

Missie said...

Klassic and Kah-razy, all at the same time!

Unknown said...

Good Lack? Is she breastfeeding?

Anonymous said...

Wow...that last one was bad enough when I was reading it as "Good Lack EVERYboy" (what is every boy lacking, dare I ask) but "Good Jack EVERYboy" is even worse.

Thanks a lot!

Michelle S. said...

What's weird is there are two wrecks in this set that have that disgusting vivid-yellow French's mustard piping. *shudder*

Easy on the yellow coloring, please.

Elizabeth said...

YIKES!!! That's all I can say.

agirlinherkitchen.blogspot.com

StineStregen said...

Why is the first cake racist? Maybe it's because English isn't my native language, but I don't see it...

Anonymous said...

hahaha
cc

GJC said...

I'm with Taylor on this one--I used to be an English teacher, once, long ago, and I broke into hives just looking at these cakes.

You'd have thought that Cake #3 would have just kept going with it: "Guck Luck Stephaduck", perhaps. (But then again, it's clear that any wreckerator who would write "guck luck" probably just doesn't give a f...lying wombat for the quality of his/her work.)

(See how I did that? You all thought I was gonna say...but then I said....I just SLAY myself sometimes!)

wv: tufforti. "If you do not forward this chain letter tufforti other bakers, all your cakes will be wrecks til the end of your days. Jane P didn't forward it, and she forgot how to spell 'good'."

Angie said...

It took me a few reads to discover the "k" instead of a "d" on the first cake... guess my eyes & my brain were convinced that somebody couldn't really screw up the word "Good". Clearly, I was wrong.

"Good Jack"... good grief!!

Double N said...

Sad. Just sad...well, sad and funny.

WV-crowesse These wrecks make me crowesse!

Amanda said...

At least the put the Luck Good writing in Hulk green...

Rachael said...

I agree w/ anon, I don't se any racism, intentional or not in either cake. Am I not looking deep enough? Is there some hidden meaning in 'Good Luck' that I don't get? Please explain. Rachael

Katy said...

Could someone please explain why the 1st cake is racist?
I'm stumped and it seems like a lot of other people are too

Anonymous said...

Knowing this term is the difference between living through the Vietnamese War (as an American) and not having done so.

It's extremely offensive. And was so even back then.

OTOH, it sort of gives me hope that there are terms like these that are so out of use that many people don't know it.

Unknown said...

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the cookie cake said "Good Jack Everybody" and even more glad I'm not the only one who's mind went straight into the gutter after that.

Jan Holt said...

Hee Hee Hee...

"Well, that's not nice at all."

Priceless... The cakes are funny but as always, the commentary is what makes this "Blog Good!"

Meghan said...

Was the cookie cake frosted with mustard? It's the same color and the line is so thin, like you see in hot dog commercials.

Unknown said...

As a writer, it makes me cringe to see these miss-spelled wrecks.
Use a dictionary, for Pete's Sake!

~Amy B.

Jessica said...

I am pleasantly surprised that some people didn't know why the first cake was unintentionally racist... the fewer people who know racial slurs (and use them) the better :)

Even more shocking was how many people screw up two simple words like good & luck!

Kristin said...

That's just sad...ROFL.

turtlebabe1 said...

Good lack every boly!!!

Nicole said...

My gosh, I read that first cake about six times and didn't see why it was racist. I had to scroll down to the comments, because I read 'Good Luck' each time. Guess my mind's got an auto correct function! haha.

Errick said...

I read the third one as "Duck Luck", which sounds like a good kind of luck to have.

Megan said...

Do any bakeries hire native-speakers anymore? Or - gasp! - ARE these native-speakers who just never learned to spell, or even double-check what they're "writing"?

This makes me all the more terrified of the teaching profession.

Megan
www.adventuresofacarnivore.com

Anonymous said...

On a lighter note, the flowers on the "luck good" cake are just breathtaking. Would love to be able to do flowers that well. :-)

StuffCooksWant said...

"Kimmie want cake. Cake good." LMAO... you are so funny.

Lucia said...

Is it just me, or did the last cake say, "Good Lack Everyboy"??!?!
Lhose cakes just made my day!
Thanks Jen!
~Lucia

ummpumpkinseed said...

Well, I certainly didn't live through the Vietnam war, but I did understand the slur on the first cake--perhaps it's because my Dad was huge on racial slurs.

And yes, those flowers on that cake are GORGEOUS! 'Tis a shame, 'tis a shame....

Annie said...

the part of me that does like to think the best in people in hoping that last cake is a reference on the old Full Metal Alchemist opening with the wonderfully bad english "Ready, steady, give me good lack" but my heart knows it cannot be that awesome :(

Anonymous said...

I believe...that cookie cake is the WORST wreck ever featured... The writing...frosting?... looks like mustard, for pete's sake! @_@

Anonymous said...

I think the second Cake could have been perceived as "decent" when looked upon by whatever bakery, not entirely flawed.
As in they ran out of room, and thought that it appeared that 'luck' was on a lower imaginary line
than 'good', just off to the side,
and 'Kimmie' in a reasonable space.

Sure it is pretty awful, but maybe it simply appeared to sort of work at the time.

Stephanie said...

OK, now I've seen it all (until the next batch of wrecks is served up, that is). :P But seriously, how on EARTH do people manage to mess up "Good luck"? I'm just... I'm speechless.

Knightridge Overlook said...

I just caught up with the last ten posts and haven't stopped laughing for a half an hour. Wow, you've been on real tear recently. I mean, they're always good, but wow.

sendingtheclowns said...

Em said...
"...it sort of gives me hope that there are terms like these that are so out of use that many people don't know it."
***
I agree--but it's only out of use because it's really "ancient history" for so many now. Many of those who do remember that war--like me--are STILL offended by the term. (And... sorry, but they weren't *my* enemy. They were only doing what they were told to do.)
Aside from all that, WOW! I dig (a hole for) the cookie cake - looks like it was written on using a squeeze bottle of mustard. Yummo.
=^>.<^=

0000 said...

For the readers whose mother tongue is not English (certainly in such a popular blog there must be more than a few of us ?) it would be nice to explain some of the most obscure references to the English language directly into the post, otherwise the number of comments saying : "I don't get it, am I blind or what ?" will simply explode (and since you are apparently moderating each and every of them I would think you'd rather avoid such repetitive questions. (Mind you I've been living in the UK for years, so it's not that I'm illiterate in English, but slang or regional English is just that bit too difficult, I don't even understand most slang in my first language :s)

I have to admit that it's not the first time this was a problem for me, but after a while I usually do manage to get it by myself. This time, on the first wreck I would just never ever have found out what it was about as I couldn't even read the word to begin with.

Anyway, that was my two cents.

sendingtheclowns said...

Okay, then--let's make it official: Mustard MUST have been used on the cookie.
So many brilliant observers think the same thing...

*blush*
=^v.v^=

sendingtheclowns said...

@ Lysambre:
Sorry, but I don't agree that everything that could POSSIBLY be misunderstood by anyone should have to be explained.
Nothing would ever get done!
There'll always be something that somebody doesn't get--that's just life!
>^~~^<

Little Lovables said...

The guck luck one is actually really cute, if only the spelling were correct!

I can understand making a little mistake in the spelling, but don't these people go back and proofread?!

0000 said...

@sendingtheclowns
I didn't ask for everything to be explained, which I agree would take too much time.
What I suggested was to explain the obscure references, the things that not even native English speakers sometimes understand (as today's first cake very well showed).

There is a difference between not understanding anything (in which case the people would not even be trying to read this blog) and not understanding things such as slang.

I'm not asking for an explanation of the American/English way of life, just a hint into understanding its most difficult language games, is that really too much to ask ?
You do realise that were I to use slang or an expression in my own native language there would be not one chance for you to understand it ? And yet here I am (and probably many many other foreigners), having to justify myself for not speaking the language so perfectly I understand every little single words of it.

Em said...

Lysambre -

If I don't understand a reference, I look it up online. I'm a native English speaker, but I'm of a younger generation, so I couldn't quite place the first cake. It was pretty easy to find the definition online, though. If a person can't find the answer that way, then they could ask.

jenn said...

haha, the first time, I didn't even get what was wrong! Then I re-read it, and got it! But I read "Good Lack" for the last one.

funny!

Anonymous said...

Good Jack looks like it is written in mustard. . . gross.

LJ said...

Dang, I wish "Good Jack" had been written in white...

Anonymous said...

Wow. Until this afternoon, I thought that "gook" was another word for "goo" or "sludge", which is the sense in which I've always heard it used...I must remember not to use that word ever again!

That said, it really is amazing how badly people can mess up the simplest words! As an English teacher, I've got to say it makes me sad sometimes to see that—when the misspellings aren't funny, anyway.

Anonymous said...

I was at the going away party for Jessie & Sarah (which was actually around seven years or so ago). I honestly don't remember who picked up the cake or who called it in, only that we obviously asked for it to say "Good" and not what it actually says. And we all just thought it was funny-I know that I had no clue it had any type of racial slur attached to it.

jmv said...

haha, Guck Luck is my favorite.

sendingtheclowns said...

Then again...
about the explaining of various terms/expressions, etc.; please consider this:
There wouldn't be much difference between (or point in) getting, for example, 20 comments asking "What does THAT mean?" and then
9,000 MORE comments saying, "Well, *I* knew that already." ...now, would there? (I'm pretty sure that would happen.)
EM's idea works for me; there have been several times that I didn't "get" some obscure-to-me reference (because I'm not that familiar with a lot of the newer generation's books, movies, or what-have-you), and if I really wanted to know, I'd look it up; if I didn't really care, I'd let it slide, and still enjoy the show immensely. Most of the wrecks are crazy-madly-deeply funny without having to *mean* anything!
>^~~^<

Trisha said...

Lysambre, I'm not in the US either, but I don't ask for explanations regarding slang and other expressions. All those references to anything on TV eludes me anyway, so I look up anything I don't get. Explaining yourself takes away the fun of things, especially for those who do get it.

C.L. Young said...

[QUOTE]I am pleasantly surprised that some people didn't know why the first cake was unintentionally racist... the fewer people who know racial slurs (and use them) the better :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but en lieu of that, you have people using homophobic slurs, like fag, faggot, dyke, homo, or using "gay" to mean something that's bad. I don't know if it's a sign of the times or what.


Now back on topic:

1) You forgot to mention that the cake is in YELLOW frosting (to go with the anti-Asian sentiment)

2) The broken, stilted English + green frosting. Was this cake made by Frankenstein's monster or The Incredible Hulk?

3) What's a "Guck Luck"? At least the frosting flowers look cute.

4) I agree that the "Good Lack" message looks as if it was written in mustard. And, to answer another post, I don't know how old you're supposed to be to work at Mrs. Fields'. They tell you 16 and over (since, in America, that is the legal age to apply for and get a job), but some companies do that "Take your kid to work day" deal and stuff like this is usually the end result.

Maggiethecat said...

On the cookie cake: Good lack everybdy? Good laçk everybo'y? LMAO in any case.

WV: piness: finesse when piping.

MJS said...

Ruth_dt -
All Americans are taught cursive from same the pattern - including the G. Search Google-images for the Q if you want to be really confused! Take a look at "How American Cursive Appears to the British" for some history.

ruth_dt said...

Thanks MJS. Contrary to that blogger's implication, we did have handwriting classes. (In the advance group for everything else, I was in remedial handwriting.)

We use an italic pattern rather than a copperplate. I didn't realise that was standard in the US.

Bree said...

#2 - I see Yoda is back to decorating cakes again.

Patrick said...

I bet this post will be featured as the latest in a long line of delicious babies posts on Hemant Mehta's blog, The Friendly Atheist, in 3... 2... 1...

maxon said...

How, just how do you get capital G's that wrong?

Anonymous said...

Awww... I'd really like the pink and yellow cake if it weren't for that smear of guck on it.

I'm'a still keep it in mind for my niece's first birthday ... in seven months. (I like to plan ahead!)

verification: whommoi - "No english speak good? Whom? Moi??"