Sunday, April 11, 2010
Sunday, April 11, 2010
Many of you also know that on the morning of March 29th, the Cakegirls bakery tragically burned to the ground. Fortunately no one was hurt, but they did lose everything - and their staff is jobless until they can rebuild.
I have no doubt that Cakegirls will be back, bigger and better than ever, before too long. In the meantime, though, since their website gallery is currently down, here are a few of their lovelies I had on file:
buy a Cakegirls t-shirt. The proceeds will help all of the employees stay afloat until the bakery can rebuild.
But wait, I have more!
Read on a for a sweet story.
This next cake is by Jane, of Cakes Come True and Truffles, Too in Cincinnati. Jane has no idea I'm writing this today, or even that I write a blog (much less this one! [evil snicker]), but I recently had an encounter with her I'd like to share.
First, some quick background: For the past 9 months or so, I've been following the story of junior Wreckie Jacob Taylor, a courageous 9-year-old who battled brain cancer with a big smile, right up until the day he earned his wings. On the tearful day when we learned Jacob was gone, I read that the funeral reception would be serving food, and naturally thought of sending some sweets over.
Since this was in another state, I scrambled to find a local baker. I found Jane's website, and John called her. Miraculously, she agreed to make and deliver three cakes with less than 24 hours notice. Amazing, right?
Ah, but there's more...
About a week later, John and I got a card from Jane. In it, she told us she was so touched by Jacob's story that she'd decided to take all of the money we paid her and donate it- in his memory - to The Cure Starts Now, an organization working to cure pediatric brain cancer.
Now, if you're like me, then sometimes you get convinced that pretty much everyone on the planet sucks. (Or at the very least, everyone on the internet. Heh.) Some days you think everyone is just too self-absorbed to care. But sometimes, on those days, someone like Jane will come along, and give you a little hope. She didn't know us, or Jacob, and she had a regular 9-5 job in addition to her bakery business, but she still went above and beyond for us and for Jacob's family. So Jane, you rock. Thank you.
Well, that's my sweet story. Stay tuned for our regularly scheduled sarcasm.
- Similar Sweets: Cute-Tastic!
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- Literally Puzzling
- A "Dreme" Come True
- The Cat's Meow
- Flotsam Plops
- When Cake Becomes a Crime
- Sunday Sweets: Gettin' Crafty
- Dolly Wants to Play...
- The Day the Spaceship Earth Stood Still
- Let Me Continue to Count the Ways
- Let Me Count the Ways
- Taking the Mickey Out of 'Em
- Sunday Sweets: Cutesy Wootsy
- Getting a Bad Vibe Here...
- Five Awesome Things
- The Teacher Tearjerker
- Once in a Lifetime Wrecks
- Don't Toy With Me, Man
- Sunday Sweets: Hope Springs Eternal
- Sobering Celebrations
- More Monkey Business
- This Just In
- The Trouble with Technology
- Easter Indiscretions
- Sunday Sweets: Happy Easter!
- Lamb Fleeces
- Pastry Pranks
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2009 (420)