Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Yeah, that's the word. :)
John and I arrived extremely nervous for my first-ever book signing, but you guys put us right at ease. It turns out you Wreckies are a kind, considerate bunch who are perfectly willing to patiently wait your turn in line for free cake. And oh, what a Wrecktastic cake it was!
This monster homage of Wreckiness was created by the lovely Johnnie of Something Sweet Cake Studio, located just outside of Orlando in Titusville.
In addition to the Wreck pile-up you see here, Johnnie also provided a yummy chocolate and caramel frosted sheet cake, which disappeared like hot...er...cakes. But, of course, that insane carrot jockey stole the show.
Later in the evening, when the sugar buzz was apparently affecting us all, we actually had a real live baby sitting on that fondant carrot. (Relax; we took it off the cake first.) Someone will have to send me that photo, though, because I didn't get it on my camera. [pouting]
In addition to the showpiece that Johnnie provided, we also had some truly astounding entries in our cupcake Wreckplica contest. Here's the grand prize winner, by Jackie Cochran:
(Yes, someone dared to bring a mini CCC [patooie!] to MY signing. The horror! Maybe that's why he or she left her name off. ;) Oh, and the mini order form says "please put vegan icing on it." Heh.)
You can find all of the cupcake entries in the Cake Wrecks FaceBook album.
Thanks again to Johnnie, Sharlene of Photo Art Works (who took all the pretty pics in this post), the Winter Park Borders staff (especially managers Jeff & Selene), and all the rest of you who braved the rain and 5:00 traffic to be there. Here's hoping you had even half as much fun as John and I did!
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- Sarcasm! Wow, That's ORIGINAL!
- San Francisco Summary
- I Call Fowl
- 'Twas a Sweet & Starry Night in the Jet City
- You Can't Get There from He-ah
- Powell's Portland Pastry Party
- Sunday Sweets: Tour De Force, Pt 1
- The (Wedding) Ring
- Nifty Neat-O Penmanship
- Growing Geek Girls
- About Last Night...
- Pioneering Pastries
- "Serious" Eats
- The Cake Wrecks "Virtual" Tour
- Sunday Sweets: Shiver Me Sweets
- To Err is Human, To Arr is Pirate
- Two Thumbs Up!
- Wrecks Interrupted
- Not-So-Passive Aggressive Cakes
- Creepy Crawly Cakes
- "World" Tour Final Countdown
- I'm This Many
- A Whale of a Tale
- Sunday Sweets: Ribbons and Lace
- We Are SO Gonna Get In Trouble For This One...
- Patriot Day
- Sweet, Sweet Irony
- Blimey, Somebody Call 999!
- Book Release Update - Don't Panic. :)
- Multiple Choice Wrecks
- Happy Labor Day!
- Like Our New Look?
- Sunday Sweets: WoW
- Vroom Vroom
- I Think I'll Have the Salad Today...
- Blame Decopac
- If You Want Something Done Right...
- The Most Wonderful Time...
- ▼ September (38)