Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday Sweets: Happy Father's Day

Sunday, June 21, 2009

(Sunday Sweets is my weekly NON-Wreck feature, to remind you how wrecky the Wrecks really are.)

I like the trend of making Father's Day cakes that look likes shirts and ties; it turns the cliche into something so much sweeter. Check these out:

(Found by Brenda Jo on Cakebox)

Ok, so the sweater is a wee bit shiny, but you've got to admire the skill all that piping required. Plus, it's mostly fondant free!

For the more formal, pinstripe-wearing Dad, Jen C. found this one over at Jill's Sugar Collection:

See how those stripes pool into little dots at the bottom edge without breaking? That's talent. Kudos, Jill.

Laudine F. found this beautifully detailed number on De Leukste Taarten:

I'm not sure who the baker is exactly, though, since my Dutch is pretty rusty. (And by "rusty" I mean "non-existent".)

(UPDATE: Apparently y'all have non-rusty Dutch and the name of the baker is Lieselotte. Bedankt!)

And check out what Bakerella whipped up for Dad:

So. Cute.

Those are mini cupcakes (with brownie centers) for the burgers, and sliced sugar cookies for the fries. Even better, Bakerella provides the templates to make the baskets & french fry holder for free on her site. (I'm sure you could modify that text for birthdays or other holidays.)


Oh, and a Happy Falker Satherhood to you all!
nevrothwen said...

I think the 3rd cake is made by Lieselotte from lilotaart.nl although I can't find it on their site.

Rebecca F. said...

Wow. What fantastic Sunday Sweets. I'm so glad you do this every week...

And your commentary always makes me notice something that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Great post.

Alison said...

Wow! I'm impressed to see a Dutch cake here, since Dutch and cake are not two words that often go together. They like tarts and pastries, but you rarely see cake, at least that's been my perception after living here for a year. Not that I'm complaining, because their desserts are pretty tasty and I can make my own cake when necessary.

Tanzie said...

I'm first cool! That's all I have to day! Oh yeah and happy father's Day to my amazing husband and "baby daddy"!

WV: "butpro" you have got to be kidding me!

Anonymous said...

Hey :)

Just wanted to let you know that the baker for the Dutch cake is Lieselotte :)

semidetachedbrit said...

The Dutch cake seems to have been made by "Lieselotte" (which is probably a screen name), whose name also appears under other cake photos on that site. "De Leukste Taarten" means, roughly, "The Nicest Cakes" and the site features recipes and photos sent in by members and viewers/readers.

Anonymous said...

Gah. I hate cakes that are made to look like other foodstuffs. I don't see why you're giving the usually talented bakerella a pass when you generally ridicule burger cakes. They're disgusting, even when well made. Yuck.

And the one with the sweater is gross too!

am said...

I think the first one with the sweater from Cakebox is the coolest cake I've ever seen.

Raychel said...

WOw... I love those Hamburger's & fries. AMAZING!

Raychel - MyCreativeWay.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

At last, ties that look like ties!

~Looks closer at the first one~ THAT's almost fondant free? Amazing.

TG

MikkiMouse said...

Although well executed, I think Bakerella's burger and fries are creepy.

I'm loving the Dutch cake though!

Happy Falker Satherhood to all the dads out there!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, these are so much nicer on the eyes than the others that you posted earlier this week! So cute :)

Wombatish said...

The Hamburgers and Fries would be -so good- for a 4th of July cookout.

Also, @anon. most cakes that look like other food are gross because it's either not an appropriate food, or the execution makes both the food portrayed and the cake look unappealing.

These are both cute, appropriate, and tasty-looking.

(Lookit me, feeding the trolls.. guess it's not just cakes that are sweet on Sunday :P)

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now said...

I love the ones by Bakerella!

Dorci said...

1st Anonymous, I can see why you want to remain anonymous.


Anywho, everything is amazing. I cannot imagine the time it took to "knit" that sweater. And I saw the hamburgers and fries on Bakerella when she first posted them and I thought they were absolutely adorable.

Jennifer said...

i love that the ties actually look like ties! and not misshapen "other" things...

Anonymous said...

Eating foods when you expect one taste and get another is probably why people don't like foods that look like other foods. Vision is part of tasting by kind of alerting the brain as to what's coming.. Try eating things with a blindfold, and you probably wouldn't like your food as much.

Boudica said...

Just posting one of my pet peeves...it's "y'all" not "ya'll." Thanks!

Sheri said...

Those are all wonderful, but the cupcake & cookie burgers & fries takes the...uh...cake! Impossibly cute and so creative. The work that went into all of these is astonishing, esp. the piping on that sweater cake!

WV: gamist - How appropriate, since I am a Sims & Pogo addict. :)

Reinette said...

Though this may be Sunday Sweets, the first cake looks as though it is partially made from dyed macaroni...

I'm weird =D

(Oh, and 'De Leukste Taarten' means The Best Cake)

Ms Avery said...

The burgers and chips are amazing! All I gave my dad is a box of chocolates; I now feel like the worst daughter ever.

Julie said...

I love that first cake...it's totally Mr. Rogers!

Anonymous said...

I made the "burgers" after seeing them on Bakerella's website. Tres yummy :)

Cindy

Rachel said...

I wonder if anyone got a cake that said "Happy Falkersather's Day"...

Unknown said...

Lol I'm the opposite, I find the disembodied shirts and ties, though well executed, a little creepy but the burger cupcakes are cute! They're not all gross like usual burger cakes cause they're not mounds of gooey melting frosting. If you look at the template she cut the cupcake in half and used brownies for the burger, so it's mostly cake instead of frosting trying to look like cake. Very clever, very cute! I may have to make some for 4th of July though I doubt they'll be as perfect as hers.

Wendy said...

Those are all beautiful, but the mini burger and fries are GENIUS!

Jen said...

Happy Falker Satherhood to yours too! :)

BTW - you're my favorite blogger - I have never laughed so hard in such a short time as I have after discovering your site a few days ago. Thanks for sharing the suger-love!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a troll because I think that something that LOOKS like a burger with ketchup and mustard and TASTES like a brownie with sugary icing is gross. I usually love bakerella's stuff. I saw exactly how she made them. Each part looks delish. But the end result is disgusting.

blindfold me and I'm sure it would be delicious. but it looks gross. Period.

FelixAndAva said...

LOVE the burger-and-fries baskets!! Very clever concept, very well carried out.

Anneke said...

the dutch cake site is actually not about professional bakers, it's slogan seems to be 'the best cakes are the ones you make yourself!'

they show galleries and tips and tricks for people who want to make cakes too.

even more impressive then.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

I absolutely LOVE the mini-burgers and fries!!!

Debbi said...

I am *SO* making the burgers and fries one. I just downloaded the templates! Yahoo! I love getting great ideas!

sendingtheclowns said...

Ms Avery said...
"...All I gave my dad is a box of chocolates; I now feel like the worst daughter ever."
*********
Whoa there, Little Missy! Does your Dad love CHOCOLATE? (I mean he's not a Martian or anything, right?)
Did he or did he not give you LIFE?
Now, do you remember Forrest Gump?
He always said, "Life is like a boxachoclates."
SO:
Your DAD = LIFE & YOU
LIFE = CHOCOLATE & YOU & your DAD!
It's perfect!!
There you go. I call it "inventive reasoning."
>^--^<

Scritzy said...

I am not a fan of Father's Day due to my weird family dynamics, but dang, I'm almost ready to go out and adopt a Dad so I can give him one of these cakes.

The knitted-sweater cake reminded me so much of my late FIL — he wore "Mr. Rogers" sweaters all the time.

And as for the burger and fries cakes? All kinds of awesome!

Word verification: mistee. I get all mistee when I see great cakes for Father's Day.

Fluffy Cow said...

The mini burgers are ahhh-mazing! Happiness to all the Dads~

sendingtheclowns said...

I think that the sweater cake is adorable, really--but I do agree that it's a little too shiny for yarn. The leathery-looking tie goes nicely with the leather buttons; nice touch. All we need now is a Dad-ish-looking, 50's- vintage pipe, and a pair of horn-rimmed eyeglasses strewn about to complete the look. Okay, and maybe a pair of slippers. Father Knows Best, ya know? (Google it, ya babies!)
=^--^=

(I STILL say that the Darth Vader cake in "Star Wars Weekend" wrecks really looked knitted!)

Anonymous said...

I am sooo making my brother the burger and fries for his birthday. They're awesome. How creative!
(And it will give him the oppty to give me a hard time about my vegetarian ways, so really it's a double present.)

wv: dulma- what you have when ma hasn't been out in wayyy too long.

lindalou said...

I will always love Falker Saltherhood. It just makes me laugh. I've got to order the T-shirt.

And props to Bakerella. As usual, she creates the most amazing goodies.

Anonymous said...

The sweater is brilliant! Yes, I could've done with a more matte finish on the icing, too. But heaven's to Betsy, the execution--simply flawless!

I think Bakerella's hamburger and fries are the most darling thing she's done yet! Even more than the little lambs, and that's a level of adorableness I couldn't achieve in a bazillion years.

If I thought my all-thumbs-self could ever attempt any of Baker's wonderful designs, I think these would be it. I mean, even if you goof them up... Brownies! Cupcakes! Sugar cookies! Well, let's just say there'd be plenty to console yourself with. :)

Cat said...

those are all very sweet. they make me miss my dad and his button ups and sweaters.

Katie said...

Fantastic! The mini burgers and fries are just great! My 4yo and I look at CW nearly every night. Sometimes, though, we just catch up on Sunday.

Asianmommy said...

Wow--I love the burgers & fries!

Anonymous said...

Those Bakerella cupcakes are AMAZING. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jennifer@womanvfood said...

I love the first sweater cake....it actually looks like it might taste good instead of just being pleasing to the eye.

also the hamburgers and fries are a piece of art...maybe not sooo delicious though.

june2 said...

Loved these! wow.

Jules said...

Love that heart shape cake. So cool! I like it so much. Love to see more from you. Have a great day.=D

A Writers Den
The Brown Mestizo

Melinda said...

These are gorgeous! I have made cakes before that were not shiny in person, but looked shiny in the photos. I'm going to say that's what happened with the sweater.

This post makes me wish we had done cake for Father's Day instead of banana splits.

Shalomahava said...

Love the Fathers Day Cakes.Hard to come up with something new. The shirts are great. The burger and fries are wonderful.

Queen of All Wild Things said...

That heart-shaped one looks almost exactly like a groom's cake my aunt made for her daughter's wedding, only that one was a tuxedo.

WV: alloos - a form of greeting popularized by a certain bouncy tiger.

Darla: Retro Ways said...

Those hamburgers are so adorable!

Dawn said...

I saw those burgers and fries and had to make some. It was actually REALLY easy! And btw, they DO taste good! I ate it all together (which is what my dad did) and I also ate it separately (the top, then the brownie, then the bottom) and its yummy (and messy!) both ways. Totally cute though. My dad loved them :)

Camille said...

I LOVE Bakerella! I made those cute hamburger cakes for a potluck on Sunday and they were a HIT.

http://waagefamily.blogspot.com/2009/06/fathers-day-hamburgers.html

Happy Father's Day!

Nonna said...

Oh, how beautiful and clever they all are...such lovely tributes to Dad's...Kudos to all the bakers, very talented and creative indeed !

After all those awful wreck cakes, it was time for a breath of fresh air that Sunday Sweets brings.
Thanks !

Unknown said...

@ swim : That's so funny. You're correcting the spelling of something that's slang, and regional slang at that. LOL

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing the link to Bakerella for the "burger and fries" instructions and template. Now I have to make up a reason to make them. :-)
Jax

Joyce Grant said...

Does anyone know - how did they make the sweater icing so shiny? That might come in handy on some future cake...

Jennifer said...

Nobody commented on the beautiful tie-cake w/the single rose on the shirt and more on the plate? The woman's cakes are fantastic and lovely. Does she sell her cakes or work for a bakery? Anyone know the location?

She has an artist's eye. Just gorgeous - I'd like to devour a piece of any of her cakes.