Thursday, March 26, 2009
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Wassup with all the undead wedding cakes?
Creepy-crawly bugs and tongue-kissing skeletons, oh my!
You'd think you'd only see something like this for a Halloween wedding - if ever - but zombie mania is infecting the masses, and like a gnawed off limb, it sure ain't pretty.
Ok, so that was a massive understatement. Bleeeech.
You don't need fancy tier cakes to pull off a "deadly" wedding theme, though. And if you can't afford the tongue-kissing skeleton topper, well hey, that's just what the good Lord invented edible photo paper for!
Yes, I am cheating a little here; this is actually just the groom's cake, not the wedding cake.
This is the wedding cake:
As if the toe tags, "Til Death" inscription and creepy "last embrace" foot positioning weren't enough, I think that's supposed to be ashes sprinkled down the sides. Perhaps this is the happy couples' way of telling their families they prefer cremation?
Guys, I'm telling you, if you want to gross your guests out do it the old fashioned way: by ordering a fruit filling and letting it sit out too long:
Voila! Bleeding cake!
Kathy T., Christine K., Anony M., and Manny & Jennifer S., thanks for the killer finds.
Alright, guys, you tell me: am I coming down too hard on undead wedding cakes? Have you seen a zombie/skeleton/vampire one done well? Then send it to me at Sunday Sweets [at] Cake Wrecks [dot] com, and maybe I'll feature it this Sunday.
*Particularly since I already did such a good job of that last Thursday.
UPDATE: To all the complainers in the comments: guys, lighten up. You really think I'm hating on goths because I think these cakes are Wrecks? Gimme a break! Wait'll you see this Sunday's selections, and *then* tell me I'm a goth-hater, ok? I'll show you how the undead look should be done.
Related Wreckage: Spooktacular Wedding Cakes
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- July (33)
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- Back to Basics
- Sunday Sweets: The Undead Wed
- Breaking News: Heeeere's Bobby!
- Celebrating A Different Kind Of V Day
- Romance is Dead
- Do These Taste Chewy to You?
- Have a Ball!
- Such Deers
- Sunday Sweets: Like Buttah
- Or As I Like to Call it, "The School of Hard Knock...
- Shirking my Shirtly Duties
- First Impressions
- They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Haa!
- Carrot Jockeys Make Excellent Ground Troops
- No, No, No! THIS is How You Resign with a Cake.
- Rockin' Shams
- Sunday Sweets: Get OUT - That's Cake?!?
- Amused Am I
- Killer Friday the 13th Creations
- Corporate Sponsored Cakery
- Today I am NOT Irish
- Grammar Nazis Beware
- Bakery PSA
- Magically Delicious?
- Sunday Sweets: Tuning in for 80s Cartoons
- Hey Nurse, Slip Me Some Tongue!
- Great Wrecks in History
- This One's for the Girls
- Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
- "And in the Mornin', I'm Making WAFFLES."
- Nah, These Won't Traumatize the Kids at ALL
- Sunday Sweets: More 80s
- February (31)
- January (43)