Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Remember that lovely Unicorn cake I featured a while back on Sunday Sweets - the one based on the tapestry? Well, Johanna's sister loved it. So for her birthday, Johanna decided to get her sister a cake that looked exactly like the Unicorn cake. And it does. See?
This could be the best use of a photo cake I've seen, Johanna. Excellent.
Patrick B. got a little more hands-on, and decided to recreate the horrific dolly-cake himself. I think his version might even be a bit better, though:
Patrick, this cake brings a particular childhood memory to mind...
[cue flashback harp music]
Yes, I remember it well: I was about 6 years old, and watching my mother put on her make-up in the bathroom mirror. I was so absorbed I didn't realize that the toilet seat was up until I sat down - with a splash. Ah, misty, water-colored memories...
And finally, I'm pleased as spiked punch to report that Cake Wrecks is officially The Blog of Champions. Check it out:
That, my friends, is Breanna K., the Best in Show winner of the AZ Cake and Sugar Art Show held last weekend. And yes, she is wearing a Cake Wrecks shirt. Woohoo!
Breanna, mad props for showing your Wrecky loyalty at a cake show, and for doing such an amazing job with your tutu cake. Can you believe she's not even a professional, guys? Wow, maybe there's hope for the rest of us, eh?
And to all the rest of you who have e-mailed me in the past: thank you! I may not be able to answer you all individually, but I really do enjoy and appreciate every single one of your e-mails!
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- You Gotta Admit: That's Way Better than "Good"
- Willy & Wally, the Cake Wreckers
- When Common Sense Isn't
- Kids These Days
- Guess Who!
- "Hey everybody, thish cake ish from Holland. Ishn'...
- Sunday Sweets Visits the 80s
- Phonics Has Failed Us
- Passive Aggressive Cakes
- THIS is How You Show Hungry Who's Boss
- Come On Barbie, Let's Go Party
- For Me?
- The End of Sweetness
- It's a Form of Flattery. Honest.
- Ace of Cakes Gets Lost!
- Valentine's "Winners"
- President's Day Cupcake Mosaic
- What's Love Got to Do With It?
- Valentine's Variety
- Heart Expressions
- Show and Tell
- A Healthy Appetite
- This'll Cure that Freaky Fetish
- Sunday Sweets: Valentine's Treats
- The Pink-Haired Puppet Master
- Wreck-Slingers, Part 2
- Head Check
- Tensed Up
- Come to the Dark Side: We Have Cake
- ▼ February (31)