Saturday, March 21, 2009

Or As I Like to Call it, "The School of Hard Knocks"

Saturday, March 21, 2009


As instructive as marriage can be, maybe we should be celebrating our "anniversities".

Today's lesson:
Cleaning Up Cat Vomit
And Other Things that Turn Women Off, But For Some Reason Not Men.


Lisa, I hear there's a hairball treatment for that.
Anonymous said...

Ironically, I got to clean up cat vomit this morning too! So, you're saying there are men out there who don't mind cleaning it up? Hmmmm.... I've got to find me one of those!

James said...

Uuuugh, cat vomit. That turns me off more than my girlfriend, who's lived with cats her entire life.

It at least looks like a tasty cake. Chocolate icing is the best instructor.

Anonymous said...

all i can think is the decorator got "anniversary" confused/combined with "university." too funny!

writtenwyrdd said...

I hope that is chocolate icing and not black! So, a hairball on black icing...very romantic. Count me in on ordering one of those.

MarieA said...

Reason no.3 why the marriage didn't stick!

Galadriel said...

Sounds more like "anniversary" + "adversity" to me.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can write in icing better than that and I suck at writing.

Anonymous said...

Uh...yum?

Angie (from over at www.HalfAssedKitchen.com)

Unknown said...

My guy doesn't quibble about cleaning up cat yark. He'd rather clean up cat vomit for me, than to have to clean up more of it from me vomiting while doing it.

Okay, enough there. Haha

Maybe there ought to be a University of Marriage anyway?

dp said...

My thought too Galadriel, which makes "School of Hard Knocks" even more appropriate.

Tammy said...

Im not sure if Im more turned off by the bad spellng or the lint on the side of the cake, what the heck is that?

VeggieT said...

Unless the order went something like

< thought >Hmm, John just founded his own university. Maybe I'll get him a cake...< thought >

Hi I'd like one cake that says "Happy 1st University" and make it really chocolate!

cake decorator reading: "Happy 1st university?" what kind of message is that? must be a misspelling...

--- Samuel

Anonymous said...

hello i just heard about your blog and at the same time having a fight with my boss of three weeks about the fact that I should be able to decorate 10 cakes in an hour. I don't want to do this because they end up looking like pictures you have on your blog and the cakes don't sell anyway. I tried to convince him that the better quality will help his business. he does not see that a squiggly is not a shell border, so I had to quit... I really liked the job too, why do bosses do this? since when is it okay to put out cakes like this? Frustrated

Fluzz said...

What's the stuff down the side meant to be? You mention cat vomit, I can't help thinking what came out the other end fell on the cake!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cat vomit--what the heck is that grey blob bordering the left side of the cake?

Buffy said...

@Amy--ROFL!!!! Get yourself a Bissel SpotBot. That is the sole purpose for us purchasing one, and it has paid for itself many times over. Like the time the dog consumed an entire 20-lb bag of cat food....

Anyway... that stuff on the side of the cake does look quite a bit like the aforementioned cat vomit. Yummm!

Kat Mortensen said...

Anniversary, University, Adversity - sounds like a multi-purpose cake to me.

As for cat vomit - I deal with that regularly (I have four felines). Get some "OUT" at Walmart (I buy it at Zehr's in SW Ontario) it is THE best product out there.

Kat

Doublebanker said...

Marriage is definitely a learning opportunity!!

Daily Gif

DB

Sarah Eve said...

"Anniversity" is right! Marriage is not as easy as it looks and it's about time we embrace it and celebrate it anyway ;-)

Jen said...

The cat vomit comment made me smile. I get the vomit duties and my husband gets the litter duties. We've only been married a few months so I wonder what else we'll learn before our 1st Anniversity.

sendingtheclowns said...

I wish heartily that our cats would vomit in pretty little peaks and swirlies like that. What we get from ours looks more like what you'd get if you took a bowl of oatmeal, mixed it with dustpan sweepings, sauced it up with Italian dressing, and then dumped from the top of a stepladder. Into your shoes.
My hubby does nothing to help unless you consider yelling, "A CAT is PUKING!!! I can HEAR IT but I don't know WHERE!! I'd better not STEP in it!!" at the top of his lungs *helpful*.
The scribbling on the cake is too messy to EVEN care about the spelling. There's really nothing good about that cake except that
IT'S NOT MINE. >^~~^<

Debster said...

Generally I find that other cats clean up cat vomit.

Alison said...

Speaking of cat vomit...I had the same thought about the side of sludge. At first I thought it was a brown plastic bag, but then, no, I think it's supposed to be edible.

Anonymous said...

One summer I applied to work at a bakery. One of the questions in my interview was, "Do you know how to spell 'anniversary'?" At the time (being a teenager) I thought that was a funny question to ask...of course I knew how to spell it! But now I see the interviewer wasn't so far off the mark!

Anonymous said...

Hehe that's how my mom pronounces the word 'anniversary', since english is her second language.

Anonymous said...

Thta cake looks funereal. So is this case of "Happy 1st Anniversity of Aunt Griselda's Death (the nasty old biddy!)"?

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! A multi-purpose inscription to celebrate everything one loves in life: Animals, animosity, adversity, university, anniversary...

Anonymous said...

Wait, men will clean up cat vomit for me? Ugh, I cannot wait for my boyfriend to freaking move in! (He's also agreed that he will take out the trash. I could love a man for that.)

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for a purposeful misspelling on this one. My husband and I have called our anniversary "anniversity" since the beginning of our relationship.

And, actually, once we got married, we now celebrate our wedding annivesary and our dating anniversity.

Scritzy said...

With 17 cats in the house (and two outside), I'm quite an expert at cleaning up hairballs.

Sometimes the dog barfs, too, and I can also clean that up.

But I like it better when it happens around spouse, so he can do it for me. (Insert devil horns here.)

And speaking of cats, that cake looks like something the cat dragged in.

Kat said...

Funny enough I don't mind cleaning up cat vomit...but then neither does my husband. Good preparation for having kids :)

Anonymous said...

What I want to know is, does anyone plan to clean the cat vomit off the left side of the cake?

sendingtheclowns said...

Distressful Damsel said...
"What I want to know is, does anyone plan to clean the cat vomit off the left side of the cake?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To remove what the cat hacked up, I say we enlist one of those Helpful Husbands some of the lucky ladies here commented on...hmmmm?
It's either that or the bakery'll probably have to mark down the price to half off? Or maybe call it "hack" off?
(Gee...that really doesn't sound right, does it?)
>^><^<

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

Is that what that is on the side of the cake?--cat vomit? Ick.

Anonymous said...

Check out this website full of Wrecks.
http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/cake-photos.html

Anonymous said...

This is especially funny considering I just came from my Mother-in-law's wedding! I told my husband we are *so* having that cake made for her and her new husband next year!!

Anonymous said...

@ Anonymous:

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/kitty-litter-cake.html

ooohh my goodness.

Anonymous said...

I think the first rule of cleaning up cat vomit is don't then proceed to smear it all over an already ugly cake....

Anonymous said...

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream cake. And they are delish. Such a shame to ruin one.

Michelle

KidsCakes said...

Not sure I'd be celebrating my anniversary if I got a cake like that.

Julie from
CakesAndKids.com

Ace said...

That's funny. I don't know where we got it, but for the last 14 years or so, hubs and I say anniversity!

Kiley said...

My cat left me a similar present on my bedt the other day - unfortunately, it was not made of flour and icing.

Anniversity, indeed.

Anonymous said...

awwwww thats cute.The Society to Save Endangered Species was formed by Fred Smilek and two of his colleagues; Charlie Mack & Jonathan Korny. Fred Smilek stays active in raising awareness for this cause. [www.fredjsmilek.com]

Anonymous said...

thats gotta be a coldstone cake...yum..

Out Of The Box Teaching said...

I want to celebrate my Anniversity now!

Anonymous said...

Was that supposed to be a tribute to "Dogbert's School of hard knocks?

-Μαρία