Sunday, July 12, 2009
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Now, put down those Fizzing Wizzbies, and let's admire the works of some of the finest Muggle bakers around!
You guys asked for more 2D cakes, so check out this awesome fondant-free example:
We're pretty sure that's either a chocolate or butter cream transfer on the top - cool, huh? I found it on Decolicious!'s Flickr stream.
Next is Margie's amazing Sorting Hat:
For those of you who are not (yet) die-hard Potter fans, the sorting hat is a magical talking hat. Who sometimes sings. Or produces swords. Or bursts into flames. (Just read the books, Ok?)
This next one is reeeeally exciting [pushing up glasses]:
It's a book cake, yes. But not just ANY book cake; a book cake with the very last line from the series on it:
"All was well." [tearing up] This is so beautiful. It's from the aptly named Mike's Amazing Cakes.
And finally, here's the Hogwarts cake Duff and his team from Charm City Cakes made:
I think this was for the last movie's premier.
Here's a closeup:
I know what you're thinking, and yes, there actually are more great Harry Potter cakes out there. You'll just have to tune in next Sunday to see the rest of them. (And if you have one to nominate, you can send it to us at Sunday Sweets [at] Cake Wrecks [dot] com.)
And finally, I know there are still some folks out there who don't like Harry Potter, for any of a number of reasons. I doubt I'll be able to change your mind if that's the case, but I do want to share what I think is the best end result of JK Rowling's work:
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- Come Meet Jen, Who Often Refers To Herself in the ...
- Who Cut the Cheese?
- Just Beachy
- Reality Bites
- Freud Would Be Proud
- Sunday Sweets: Threadcakes
- Weee Are The Champions...
- Good Luck!
- A Womb with a View
- This Should Even Things Out
- CW's Biggest Fans?
- I'm Guessing They Didn't Have a Matching Card
- Say What?
- Sunday Sweets: More Potter!
- A Series of Unfortunate Monograms
- Basket Case
- Hello, Kitty?
- "Baby" Showers
- Does This Cake Make Me Look Fat?
- Beauty is Only Skin Deep
- Sunday Sweets: Harry Potter
- Early Detection is Key
- Love is in the Air...
- Copyright Unfringement
- Christmas in July: Going Dutch
- Who Ordered the Poo Poo Platter?
- Well, I'm Stumped
- Sunday Sweets: Transformers
- Happy 2ndapendance Day
- ...and so fourth
- Taking Liberties
- Happy Canada Day!
- Considering the Uterus
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)