Sunday, March 1, 2009
Sunday, March 1, 2009
It's been so much fun seeing what you guys turned up in your search for 80s Sweets. To narrow my selection down, I'm going to focus on things that haven't had a huge come-back recently, like Transformers and Indiana Jones. (Okay, so "huge" is relative. Boo Crystal Skull!) I'm also going to hold off on Super Mario for now, since he's got enough material out there to fill several posts on his own.
So let's kick things off down at Fraggle Rock, shall we?
Sarah A. found this insanely detailed Fraggle diorama by Kimberly Chapman. The upper left-hand corner even has Sprocket waiting beside the hole in the wall! I like that Kimberly made it so detailed without being too busy: any more and the cake would have looked chaotic, but this seems to strike the right balance.
Ah, but where are the Doozers, you ask? Not to fear; Amy R. found them!
These Doozers are sooo cute, but I'm afraid it took me a moment of squinting to figure out that's supposed to be a giant radish. (Sorry - it's been a while.) I'm curious what the Bleeding Heart Bakery used to make the lettering, too: is it too much to hope they're sugar rods?
Speaking of adorable characters, check out Rainbow Brite's sprite Twink:
Michelle M. found this cuddly bit of cakery by Dora of Cakes Garden. I had this doll when I was little, and I used to love Rainbow Brite's crinkly holographic outfit, too - remember that, girls?
Sorry, I'm veering off into extreme girliness again. Uh, here you go, guys:
Eh? A little Space Invaders action? Get a load of that pixelated perfection!
Erin C. found it over on Hello Naomi's Flickr stream.
Here's some more arcade awesomeness, and our fondant-free Sweet of the week:
I know it's "just" a sheet cake, but that piping is perfectly done and nicely detailed. Karon Z. found it here, but the baker isn't listed.
Moving along in the evolution of gaming, who among us didn't have one of these?
Ah, how I miss those painful square controllers jabbing into my palms. [wistful smile]
This was the groom's cake at Rachel G.'s wedding, by the way.
Ok, that's enough for this week. Tune in next Sunday for all 80s cartoons. It's gonna be, like, totally righteous, dude.
(Speaking of which, anyone have a classic GI Joe cake to send me? Or how about Thunder Cats? And I'm still waiting for something featuring the Snorks - c'mon, people, if you can't find one, make one! Is that too much to ask?)
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- Back to Basics
- Sunday Sweets: The Undead Wed
- Breaking News: Heeeere's Bobby!
- Celebrating A Different Kind Of V Day
- Romance is Dead
- Do These Taste Chewy to You?
- Have a Ball!
- Such Deers
- Sunday Sweets: Like Buttah
- Or As I Like to Call it, "The School of Hard Knock...
- Shirking my Shirtly Duties
- First Impressions
- They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Haa!
- Carrot Jockeys Make Excellent Ground Troops
- No, No, No! THIS is How You Resign with a Cake.
- Rockin' Shams
- Sunday Sweets: Get OUT - That's Cake?!?
- Amused Am I
- Killer Friday the 13th Creations
- Corporate Sponsored Cakery
- Today I am NOT Irish
- Grammar Nazis Beware
- Bakery PSA
- Magically Delicious?
- Sunday Sweets: Tuning in for 80s Cartoons
- Hey Nurse, Slip Me Some Tongue!
- Great Wrecks in History
- This One's for the Girls
- Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow
- "And in the Mornin', I'm Making WAFFLES."
- Nah, These Won't Traumatize the Kids at ALL
- Sunday Sweets: More 80s
- ▼ March (34)