Saturday, January 2, 2010
Saturday, January 2, 2010
For the past 16 months or so, Jen has made it her goal in life to post here every single day. And for the most part, she's succeeded.
On vacation? The post goes up.
Christmas day? The post goes up.
Husband dying in the hospital? The post goes up.
The hardest part about this is that she has to be funny, or at least try to be, with every post. This is, well, starting to take its toll. ("No, really, Sweetie, that tic is barely noticeable.") Cake Wrecks was built on funny, but when daily deadlines take precedence, the funny can suffer - and that's not good for anyone.
So starting today, we're gonna be cutting back on Saturday posts, since it's our slowest day. We'll still do our best to post every other day of the week, but if we do miss one from time to time, just know it's in the best interests of Jen's sanity, the quality of the posts, and Cake Wrecks as a whole.
Thanks for understanding, guys. Here's to much, much more facial-tic-free Wreckage and laughter.
john (the hubby of Jen)
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- Sunday Sweets: Cute-Tastic!
- As We Fumble Along
- Unexcepted Seamen
- A Teaching Moment
- Look Out, Germany
- Bakeries From Beyond
- Sunday Sweets: When Mario Marries
- RSS Feed Update
- Isn't It Ironic? Don't Ya Think?
- New Year's Diet Aid
- I Eat Terror For Breakfast
- She's Got Leeeegs...
- Better Late Than Never: Happy New Year!
- Sunday Sweets: Baby Showers
- Today's "Feature"
- The #2 Way to Ruin a Cake
- Ever Feel Like ----Thing's Missing?
- Help For Haiti
- The Labor of Love
- Show Offs
- My Cake Wreck Is Greater Than Yours
- Sunday Sweets: When Gamers Marry
- Funny Business
- Signs of Trouble
- "Special" Deliveries
- Kids These Days
- Curbing Their Enthusiasm
- Spring Sweets
- The Elephant In The Room
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- July (33)
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)