Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday Sweets: Cake Journal

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Today's Sweets are brought to you by Louise over at Cake Journal, a blog out of Denmark. I've been a fan of her work for some time now, quite simply because she makes gorgeous cakes. Her designs are simple, graphic, and flawless. These two are my favorites:


The sprinkles! The cherry! I love everything about this cake, from the colors to the cartoony angles. (If you check out her site, this is the cake used for her logo, too.)

This cake won the audience vote for Best Novelty Cake at this year's Scandinavian Cake Show. It is absolute perfection; you should go to her site to see the close-ups.


Louise, thanks for all the inspiration!
V. Nicharico said...

They're both beautiful!! The first one makes me think of Dr.Seuss (but that's a good thing!)

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Elegant and whimsical doesn't always translate in cakes, but these are exceptionally well executed. Very sweet.

Bethany Scott said...

Good enough to eat! :) The top one is absolutely my favourite. Less CakeWrecks; than CakewROCKS!!

xXx

Anonymous said...

*gasps*

Beautiful!

Her site is an absolute must-see!!

Baughn said...

Are you sure that first cake is *real*?

It looks like something made in povray, without randomization to make it look even halfway realistic

Zitny Clan said...

Ahhhh, what sweet relief! I was beginning to think that it was impossible to find a decent looking cake in this world! Yum :)

Kristin Weaver said...

Oh wow! Those are gorgeous cakes. I'm new to the blog. Just wanted to say how much I love the site.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I absolutely LOVE that first cake it is just whimsical and oh so cute... the second is beautiful and looks like it is begging to let you have a taste :)

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is what cake should look like!

Anonymous said...

I, cannot, for the life of me (and my computer) get her site to load.... I love beautiful cakes - and wrecks!

Laura said...

Wow that first one is perfection.

Kopperhead said...

Both are wonderful, I'm going to visit her site.

Anonymous said...

WOW. Beautiful. That second cake, THAT is what a 'cupcake cake' should look like.

Unknown said...

Yum! They look like cartoon cakes from Toontown. I wouldn't mind one of these!

mamagotcha said...

Maybe you're not as down on cupcakes as you thought you were...

April said...

I love the first cake! How fun is that. Going to check out the site right now...

Lisa said...

I was expecting a wreck. I kept looking thinking "Now WHAT can she say about THESE CAKES!" lol I didn't know you featured nicely done cakes as well.

What is it we love about a cake that pretends to be a...cake? (in this case an ovesized cupcake. :-) ) Very well executed...yes...to perfection. Going to look at her site now.

Artfulife said...

Those are darling! I saw a book in the bargain section of Barnes & Noble last night. It is a how to book for making "darling" kids birthday cakes. I thought to myself, this book would be great to send your way. The cakes were awful! I don't know how it ever got published. Maybe thats why it was in the bargain section.

sheree said...

wow! Very impressive ;)

writtenwyrdd said...

Caketastic! I am glad you do occasionally branch out to include the lovely and non-cakewrecky cakes.

Jennifer Love said...

GORGEOUS! I'm pretty sure I need these. hee!

sues2u2 said...

Wow! How adorable are those cakes?! She's done a great job w/ the colors & the whole scheme. What kid or "older" kid wouldn't love those?

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are amazing! The first one doesn't even look real - it looks ceramic or something. Gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I dunno...don't these qualify as CUPCAKE CAKES?

KIDDING! :)

Jen said...

I would love to see the before and after if someone were to take a photo of that amazing first cake to their local grocery store and say "I want you to re-create this". A new wreck would be born.

Anonymous said...

What a breath of fresh air! Stunning!

Leslie said...

Oh wow! Beautiful!

My problem with such amazing cakes is that I wouldn't want to cut into it!! I made a castle cake for one of my daughter's 4th birthday. I'm not great at decorating, so when this turned out like I imagined I was so impressed with myself. I almost cried when we had to cut it and serve it to the little girls :(

~Jenn ODonnell Danza~ said...

Now those are beautiful cakes!

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

I have one problem with these cakes.

How the heck do you eat something so beautiful?

Anonymous said...

Those are terrific!

Anonymous said...

the first one made my mouth water.. and that's saying something D:

Red Flashlight said...

These cakes look nice but they scream 'fondant!' I don't really like the taste of fondant - I'd rather save my calories for the cake inside. I sometimes wonder whether these cakes taste as good as they look.

Eris said...

I guess you're ok with cakes that look like cupcakes - but not cupcakes that try to look like cakes. Is that a double standard or just a high standard?

Those cakes are beautiful. I'd be almost too sad to eat them.... almost.

SolaMommy said...

Cakes with fondant may be cute, but they look plastic and inedible :(

Sheri said...

GOR-geous! Nice to see some beautiful work for a change instead of wrecks; but then, the wrecks are so so wrecktastic!

skatej said...

I can't get the site to load either. Thought it was me but I think all the cakewreck fans have overloaded the server!

Amy Ellen said...

Oh my those are darling. Okay now I just need an occasion to make that for, LOL. Way too cute.
Amy

Helen Ann said...

Well, see SHE used a cupcake and no one got upset..I sense a double standard!! ;) :) :) :)

J/K!

Those are cool cakes!

Pam said...

The first one looks like it might be found in "Whoville"! Very cool cakes + I love your site...always makes me smile!

Duane said...

Those cakes are so beautiful, I would be the last person to want to actually destroy the beauty and eat that cake! Wow!

Anonymous said...

They are so sweet looking !

pika23 said...

I am REALLY super duper interested in learning how to make these types of cakes...I wonder if any craft stores or grocery chains host classes...it would be like an intro to fondant cakes I guess? How are they done exactly? You mix up the fondant mix or whatever, but do you pour it out onto a flat surface? and then put it on the cake like a sheet? I see it done on Ace of Cakes and food network challenge...but was'nt paying attention during the application of the fondant covering. I want to try and make something for my Nephews 5th Birthday...He likes the movie Cars.

I was going to do like a pound cake for the car body...like cut the pound cake in layers lengthwise and use filling...stick it back together .... then cup cake tops for the wheels...i dunno. hmmm

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog, (it was a link on a friend's blog) I love it. This is so entertaining, and I'm sure brings a smile to many people's faces. My friend has cancer and is unable to update her blog as often as she would like due to her chemotherapy treatments, so has directed her readers here untl she is able to write again. Well done, I know you made my friend smile during this difficult time in her life, so Thank you. Kirsten J.

Schmei said...

These truly artistic cakes help me realize just how wrecktacular the wrecks are - it's a nice juxtaposition.

Sabina E. said...

now I'm really hungry. Daaaamn.

Anonymous said...

pika23, fondant must be kneaded like bread, and then rolled out on a flat surface. It is then draped over the cake, and you must work quickly to smooth it completely. Then you just cut off the excess with a pizza cutter and have at the decorations.

One thing to keep in mind, though, it hardens pretty...well...hard. In fact, a Scottish fiddler I once knew wrote a new tune about his wedding cake. As he started each pass on the tune, he did a longer, more tortured scrape of the bow across the strings because when they tried to cut through the fondant, it took several tries before the bride actually broke her wrist and had to spend the wedding night in the emergency room.

Makes for a darn pretty cake, though.

These are spectacular work.

Momma J said...

Beautiful!

Jennifer Good said...

This is beautiful! I wish I could decorate cakes that perfectly!

Ronnica said...

That first one looks so some yummily delicious!

KT said...

That first cake is AWESOME!

Kelly said...

That top one is the most fun and amazing edible item I've seen!

LindaBudz said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

I saw that cake at the Scandinavian Cake show!!! It was two cakes away from mine! Yea, it's a pretty cool cake. The pics don't do it justice. :)

Anonymous said...

oooooohhh....

wow, those are gorgeous. and i love that what could have been truly zany (and maybe a bit much) is toned down by her use of color. keeps it from being a little too 'cat in the hat'...

and that is how a cupcake cake should be done. (not those wretched how-many-cupcakes-can-you-fit-together conncoctions!)

Ginny said...

Those are gorgeous! That first one looks like it is made of paper, just perfect.

{I'm a scrapbooker & have seen others crafters make things like that out of paper just in case you are wondering why that was my first though, lol}

Anonymous said...

These cakes are stunning! I will definitely check out her site.

- Julie
CakesAndKids.com

Anonymous said...

That cupcake cake is AMAZING! I want one!

Anonymous said...

What is with all of the wopper-jawed (half sideways) cakes??? Is every baker drinking the vanilla extract for the alcohol content or what? This baffles me.

Anonymous said...

My son just said "What's wrong with the Homer Simpson Cake". . .my answer: "nothing"