Saturday, June 28, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Apparently this cake was ordered from an upscale local bakery, but when the customer came to pick it up the order had been "misplaced". To remedy the situation, the decorator on duty - no doubt in a rush of self-sacrificing heroism - grabbed another finished order, wiped off the inscription with a paper towel, and wrote what you see.
So, on top of the big cloudy wiped-up area, the inscription is misspelled and in quotation marks. And while we're on the topic, what is with the wide-spread love affair between cake-decorators and quotation marks? Is it written on the order that way? Are they just practicing their mad piping skilz? Or do they assume everything written in icing is somehow less sincere? (I "Love" You, "Happy" Birthday, Thanks for Being Our "Dad", etc)
At any rate, let's all "Congraniate" "Nicole" and "Mark" on finding the best "customer service" in town. And guys, we mean that. "Really".
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- December (28)
- November (29)
- October (35)
- September (33)
- August (29)
- July (29)
- June (35)
- May (30)
- April (26)
- March (28)
- February (25)
- January (30)
- December (34)
- November (33)
- October (36)
- September (38)
- August (32)
- July (33)
- June (37)
- May (36)
- April (33)
- March (34)
- February (31)
- January (43)
- December (44)
- November (34)
- October (38)
- September (29)
- August (26)
- July (25)
- There is no black and white...
- It's a Texture Thing
- And They Say Customer Service is Dead
- I'll Take My Chances
- You know your mom is cheap when...
- Birthday cake for the last post?
- "You'll find he is a whiz of a wiz, if ever a wiz ...
- Naked Mohawk-Baby Carrot Jockeys
- When Men Design Their Own Cakes
- I think this needs a whole new category...
- It's Rude to Stare
- Makes Ya Wonder What the Card Said...
- Can You Make a Freudian Slip in Icing?
- The Way All Apologies Should Be Made
- I'd Still Eat It
- What, ANOTHER Obscure Bank Holiday?
- The Anti-Wedding Cake
- Proof That Computers Will Never Rule the World
- May (18)
- April (1)