Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Rude to Stare

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Even if the shower cake IS modeled after the guest of honor's ginormous rack.

I have a confession to make: I really don't like attending baby showers. There's all the frippy little decorations, lots of cooing "mom" types, and those obligatory shower games which were undoubtably invented by a woman on the verge of a murder/suicide. However, I think this cake would liven up your average baby shower. I mean, just watching a room full of women in flamingo capris and sun dresses trying to compliment, much less cut, this cake would be bona fide entertainment. "Why, Doris" (looking mom-to-be up and down) "it looks just like you! Er, would you like a slice of boobie?"



Thanks to Kate E. for the photo!
Anonymous said...

Wow the mom to be sure had some crazy cravings.

Anonymous said...

A friend e-mailed my your blog address, and I have to say I had the best laugh!!
What a great site you have!!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and this is hysterical! We are showing some of the pics here in the office and people are amazed.

Keep it up. I will check back and send you something if I find a "Cake Wreck:. Well done.

Anonymous said...

I want to know two things. First, how one goes about carving up such a cake. I mean, I guess the kind of person who thought this was a good idea is unlikely to have much in the way of sensitivity, but sheesh. There simply is no good place to start.

Or finish, for that matter.

The second thing is this: What kind of baking pan is needed for such a creation? I mean, do professionals go through their collections of pans, setting aside the "fitness model", "slender", "anemic", "overweight", "morbidly obese" and "quintuplets" molds to get the perfect one, labeled "plumply pregnant mother-of-one-to-be"? It's impressive and daunting, to say the least.

Anonymous said...

LOL! This is one of my cakes. Yes, I found the requested design to be a little creepy. I understand that there were a few c-section comments made. Ewwww. However, there was a lot of laughter over it.

In response to anonymous's question about cake pans, this cake had a sheet cake on the bottom, and the Wilton ball pan for the wachungas. The belly was baked in a pyrex bowl. I covered everything in buttercream and then fondant.

Anonymous said...

BTW, I'm not a professional, and the cake wasn't paid for. Not sure if that means that I'm ousted or not. The design is a copy of one from Freed's Bakery in Las Vegas.

Jen said...

Kate - Wow, our first baker claims a creation! Welcome, and thanks for taking the comments in the spirit they were made: all in good fun.

Oh, and "wachungas"? That's going in my slang book for boobies, right next to "golden bozos".

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen! I just about died when I read "Er, would you like a slice of boobie?" I've emailed my friend (for whom the cake was made) about this, and she's gonna love it!

Great blog subject! LOL!

Anonymous said...

"Wachungas" is a great word. :)

kylakae said...

Heh. I have to admit that I once made a cake very like this one. It was for a baby shower for the Father-to-be who was feeling a bit left out. They held it at a strip club.

Apparently the strippers thought it was the coolest cake ever.

Anonymous said...

HA! I have a good buddy who had a child back in April '07, and the baby shower cake was exactly the same but in pink. He thought it was hilarious. His wife was mixed.

Bunche (pop culture ronin) said...

While this may be a conceptual horror, you've got to admit that the craftsmanship is excellent. But, yeah, the edible C-section aspect is just plain nausea-inducing.

Excellent site, by the way! I was just alerted to it and now you have a new regular reader.

Jamie said...

Is it wearing lingerie?

Anonymous said...

I made a cake like this for the shower they did for my husband when we had our second child. Only thing is mine wasn't wearing clothes....and during transport one of the breasts fell off. :)

Anonymous said...

Uh oh...I think it's adorable and really well done. I would happily giggle with the girls over a slice of boobie. :P Do I get beheaded now? I know...I'll stay anonymous to avoid the onslaught, lol.

badfae said...

It's a little odd, but incredibly well-made. I'm amazed to see Kate saying she isn't a professional.

Anonymous said...

@bunche- I have to admit that I was proud of the result- craftsmanship-wise. It's pretty gross to think about cutting it, though.

@jamie- I think it's supposed to be a blouse, but, again, it's a copy of a Freed's Bakery design, so I'm not sure.

@carad- I'm glad that I wasn't asked for nudity!!! (I'd have had to say no!) :)

@anonymous- I'm glad that you like it. It made for a lot of laughter!

@badfae- Thanks! (I agree that it's odd, but I'm O.K. with that.) :)

Anonymous said...

Yay, someone who agrees with me about baby showers! I'd rather have a root canal, thanks.

I'm a cake decorator and have actually had to make a few preggo-belly and boob cakes, and I always have to wonder what's going through the 'friend's' mind when they order this to serve up at the party-crazy.

Valraven said...

"the wachungas"

Best euphemism I've ever heard!

Anonymous said...

Trust me, when you have a kid, you'll see the point of baby showers. You sound a wee bit defensive about your childlessness, I have to say. It coms out when you write about showers.

Kristin said...

"Okay, now who wants a piece of the womb?"

"No takers?"

Jenna Z said...

Here, here! I concur, baby showers are ANNOYING and terribly painful to sit through. I dread being invited to them. And to anonymous, I know *I'm* a bit defensive about my childless status because every other person tries to push their child-ful agenda on me. "children are the future, you won't understand until you're a mommy, it's the greatest job in the world, aren't you trying to get pregnant?, and on and on!" Gag!

Momof4 said...

Hmmm, I dunno, I kinda like this cake. I mean, it's quite a compliment to the mom. In a weird way.

Anonymous said...

It kind of reminds me of those plaster-of-paris casts that pregnant women sometimes do of their pregnant bellies, only with clothes.

The workmanship on the cake is really great though, just the "theme" is a little odd.

Anonymous said...

Fun, fun, FUN BLOG! And the cake certainly looks professional for an amateur, friendly baker!

@anonymous re: childless people & baby showers? I have given birth to and raised to adulthood two children. The point of baby showers is to give the expectant mother the items she needs for the coming child. The inane and revolting games have nothing to do with the gathering of friends who want to support her.

Having or not having had children does not diminish one's capacity for recognizing nonsense.

Anonymous said...

Bunche:

A "conceptual" horror??

What a terrible, wonderful pun.

Jammer said...

Yum! The placenta is my favorite part!

Someone should make a Mardi Gras cake like this. But instead of putting in the little plastic baby, they can put in a balled-up Cabbage Patch Kid.

Great site, by the way. :) Thanks!

Anonymous said...

While the cake idea is a little odd, it really is a well made cake.

With that said, what kind of cake was it? Red velvet would be funny.

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah, it WAS actually red velvet cake. Hey, I just bake what I'm told to bake! LOL!!! (But, ewwwwww!!!!)

Anonymous said...

I will be spending much time browsing your wonderful site.......not many things make me smile at 7 a.m. in the morning, but seems I have found a site that does...thank you so much.....

Anonymous said...

i think the cake is beautiful, and very well done...i mean, it's a cake, not a real belly! if you did made a cake the shape of a fish or something you wouldn't be all grossed out by eating it's tail...anyway, love the site!

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you've ever been pregnant, but that "gynormous rack" is pretty standard fare for a pregnant body. In fact, when I announced my third pregnancy, my husband's hands shot up as if he were making a field goal and he yelled, "Yah!! Poor Star Boobs!!" ;)

But that cake...just disturbing. There are plenty of things that happen to a body during pregnancy I wouldn't want to stare at in mixed company!

Anonymous said...

I think that this cake is bloody BRILLIANT.

I think, if/when I ever get pregnant, I'll want a cake like this. But naked, so you can see the stretch-marks. And with all the internal organs. And a plastic baby doll. We could play, "Find the Uterus"! And you can choose whether you want a liver, a kidney, or some intestine as your piece of cake. Or, of course, one of the boobs. Or a bellybutton!

...I need to lay off the sugar.

Anonymous said...

My six year old daughter just glanced over my shoulder, saw this cake, and said, "Is that supposed to be a butterfly?"

I responded, "If only it was..."

I love your blog.

threenorns said...

to the person who said you have to have a child to appreciate baby showers: bollocks!

i have three kids (22yrs, 19yrs, and 21 months old) and i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE baby showers. even worse is when i'm dragged to baby showers of ppl i don't even know just to make up the numbers. the games are lame, inane, and just plain stupid (the clothespin grab, that stupid paper plate hate with all the ribbons, talk about a giant leap back for womankind!).

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please, tell me that there was so "surprise" inside the cake... I would check the rest of the comments if only I could see through the tears, or stop laughing.

Carmen.

Kate said...

Ha!!!! No, Carmen. No "surprises" in this cake, fortunately! Just the red velvet cake was bad enough!

Anonymous said...

Oh, lay off her! Aren't you allowed to not have kids and not like baby showers without being 'defensive'? Some people...

I ate her placenta with some fava beans and a nice chianti... I just watched 'Silence of the Lambs' and I'm sorry but this cake reminds me of Hannibal Lecter... AHHHH!!

B.A. said...

I think it was really well done. I've done a few of these cakes for people and they thought they were just the cutest cakes! I can't say I agree or disagree. I'm cool with either. Even the naked one I would do if they asked (I can't say that one appeals to me now....but hey - what people like is what they like) That being said, that frigging cake that says "push olivia push!" on google images, much like the one you have above, is just gross. I mean, I make penis cakes, 'boob' cakes, etc... but that one is just a special kind of gross to me. Exhibiting body parts is one thing in the name of fun and levity, but showing a delivery that's edible (although the craftmanship is cool) is just a bit icky to me. I'd probably still make it if someone wanted it though...
Overall though, I love this site. My sister introduced me to it and I've just about peed everytime reading it! I actually laughed so hard I got patiki eye out of it!!! Great job Jen and keep it up!

Ellen said...

I think it is a well made cake, so it isn't the baker's fault, the swirls and all are kind of nice. It is the basic principle of a torso cake which I cannot understand- especially a pregnant one. Still, not as bad as- I think it was the Holland Belly Cake?

The Whiz Kid Forte said...

Debbie Brown of the cake decorating book Naughty Cakes would love this project! It's so saucy, yet wrong!

Unknown said...

Wow, I bet every other mom to be is hoping to have boobies twice the size of the baby they'll be having, too! Holy geeze, who would ever order that? Some cake artists have entirely too much fun.
--Catens

Atropine said...

Ok, I admit it, I love baby showers. And bridal showers. (any shower really--April, meteor, daily...) Love the whole thing. Love the pink carbonated punch, the games (I am VERY competitive and love winning prizes lol). Love the glowing, overstuffed mom to be (or the bride to be). Love the decorations, love it all.

WV demogo "You can leave de gate open for da horses, demogo right to the feed"

Cupcakes Lady said...

lol "Wachungas" great stuff! lol x

Pregnancy Symptoms said...

"Wachungas" ? Did you just discover it? lol Great blog you have here. I am subscribing. take care

Kim said...

I'm posting late. I also don't care.

I had to tell you that I went to a bridal shower for my cousin that had a similar cake to this - it was a lingerie shower, and the cake was a torso wearing matching bra and panties (brown with blue polka dots). Anyway, it was hideous - even more so once it had been hacked to pieces - and the funniest part of the evening was when the entire right cup was hacked of, put on a plate, and given to my cousin, who promptly said, "I can't eat a whole boob!"

I'm not commenting on most of these posts, because I'm reading through the old stuff since I just now discovered the hilarity that is your blog. However, I couldn't keep that to myself.