Monday, May 24, 2010

The CW Book Tour, Part Three

Monday, May 24, 2010

Guess what?!?

Ok, well, I guess the post title might have given it a way a little. And that Twitter post I made a few weeks ago. But still.

Ta-da!!



Yep, in order to lure John and me out of the house again, my dear publisher Andrews McMeel has shamelessly bribed me with a trip to Disneyland. Shamelessly, I say. And since we all know I'm powerless against those kinds of tactics, here's the schedule:


Monday, June 21: Tempe, AZ
7:00 pm
Changing Hands Bookstore

Wednesday, June 23, Salt Lake City, UT
7:00 pm
The King's English Bookshop

Saturday, June 26, -- Pasadena, CA (That's almost LA, right?)
4:00 pm
Vroman's

Sunday, June 27 - La Jolla, CA (Google says it's San Diego)
2:00 pm
Warwick's

Monday, June 28th - I get to go to DISNEYLAND!!

Now, for those of you who weren't around during our first two tours, here's the drill: each event will start with a hee-larious slide show presentation by yours truly and John, then we'll have a Q&A, and then - the best part for us - there will be a cupcake contest. That right: you make a cupcake version of your favorite Wreck, bring it in, we'll judge it, and if it's one of our favorites you'll win fabulous prizes, fame, and the adulation of Wreckies everywhere.

We'll also have free cake for all, provided by a local baker/Wreckerator. (And if you're a pro baker in one of those cities who'd like to volunteer your services, let me know! It's great advertisement, and heaps of fun. Honest.)

Oh, and I guess I'll sign some books. You know, if you have some.

So mark your calendars, and please RSVP via the Evite links above if you think you'll be able to attend; we want to be sure we have enough cake!

Having done about 15 of these so far, I can tell you that these events are like no book signing you've ever been to. They're more like giant parties with all of the best friends you've never met. So please, come out and laugh with us and eat cake and say hello! John and I are looking forward to meeting you!
Mitzi said...

Nooooooo! When you stopped in KC, I had just missed you (visiting in-laws). Now you're going to Salt Lake, where I live, BUT WE'RE OUT OF STATE THE WHOLE SUMMER for a stupid internship. Why do you tease me so?!?!?!

Shayde said...

Wow -- I e-mailed my husband a few minutes ago to say I was planning to reschedule my Disneyland day trip to June 28th (rather than the 14th).

I'm so excited that you're coming to SoCal! Hubby and I will need to have a serious talk about the Pasadena date.

Ramona said...

So, if you could change the day you're in SLC to July 5th or 6th, that would be awesome. As I am your number one fan, you wouldn't mind changing that one TINY detail, right?

Let Them Eat Cake said...

I wanna go to Disneyland w John & Jen!

Anonymous said...

And I just realized it's right after my birthday too. Sweet!

Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I have been waiting for you to come even close to San Diego and now you're coming! w00t I am so excited! It's already on my calendar.

Jenn said...

Holy crap. We're totally going to break fire code at King's English. I'm so excited I may or may not have just peed a little.

Unknown said...

Why is there no link for going to Disneyland with you!?!? I have annual passes and go about every other week.

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

Aw heck, the 28th is my birthday, but I'm not going to Disneyland. I hope you have a great time. Vroman's is wonderful.

Another Whiner said...

Can I put in a request for gluten-free cake in Pasadena? :D

Katie said...

I am SO SAD that I'll miss the tour, BUT, The King's English is an AWESOME bookstore in SLC (Just visited it in April). Have a fun trip and STAY ALIVE. :)

Monika said...

Count me in to make a cake for all to share.
Monika
TrulyScrumptiousCakes.com

Cheri said...

Please take your vitamins!! We all know what happened on previous tours!

Lace Escapades said...

Finally coming to AZ, I see? This makes me especially happy.

Jules AF said...

Oh my gosh! You're coming to Salt Lake right before I move away!! Eeeeeeeeeee

Unknown said...

Woohoo! I might get to see you! That's so cool. Was hoping you'd get to this neck of the woods =)

Heather said...

You bet you're BUTT La Jolla is in SD, it's the nicest part of SD, right on the ocean and inhabited by the rich and famous!! YAY! I am so IN! Can't wait, Heather from N SD

Jen Ben said...

YAY!! You're coming to San Diego (La Jolla is absolutely gorgeous)!! Right by the pacific ocean-I'm wishing I was there right now, instead of in an office!!!
And my birthday is on the 26th, the day before, so what a great treat for me (and you)! LOL Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

COME TO ARKANSAS!!!

Erin said...

Please to come to Iowa?

krazykris said...

Don't forget to get dear Jon a round of shots before he travels. Don't want him getting the FLU again :(

Green said...

You're never going to make it to TN are you?

This is a big sad face right here.

W.V.: quiva--I quiva in sadness.

Eat Cake said...

You'll like the King's English in Salt Lake, small but a very nifty place to visit-with very nice cats if they are still around. Also, try Jimmy John's for really good sandwiches...oh, and the Market Street Grill. If you get up to Ogden, Rooster's has excellent beer and there's Bistro 258 across the street. mmmmmm, tasty.
P.S. You know, Portland/Beaverton is due north of Disneyland-hop, skip, and jump really.:)

amchornetgirl said...

We need you to come to KY, although we can't tempt you with Disney theme parks...

Anonymous said...

So sad, you're not coming to the Minneapolis-St. Paul area :( . But I'm encouraged by the fact that you're touring again, so you'll keep us in mind - right?

Madison Rose said...

I just had cake for dinner. I blame you, Cake Wrecks.

Debbie Barr said...

Yay! The King's English is a fabulous bookstore. I'll definitely be there!

Unknown said...

Hello from Tempe! I'm excited that you're coming to my favorite book store!

Melissa said...

YAY YAY YAY! SLC here and so excited!!!! Can't wait to get my book signed!

carin said...

i just got SOOO very excited that you'll be in La Jolla (which technically IS San Diego, though the residents there like to say they live in La Jolla). and then I looked at the date and realized that I'll be out of town. BOO. :( next time, maybe i'll catch you guys next time. (ps. YAY disneyland!!)

Mel said...

hey...did you know that in Queensland, Australia we have "Seaworld", "Dreamworld", "Movie World", AND the "Big Pineapple" (you know you have always wanted to climb to the top of a giant piece of fake fruit and look down at all the little people right?). So I am thinking that you publisher needs to start looking o/s for a "World" tour ~ get it? "World" tour and we have all those theme parks that end in world. See what i did there?? Sigh... Rightio then...off to feed my kangaroo a few bananas so i can ride her to work... see ya!

Jamie said...

Aw, man, I am in a constant state of fail when it comes to your tours. Being a military spouse obliged to move all the time blows; I'm never where you are when you're there. :-P

Stop by Augusta on your way home? ;-)

Chase said...

Ok, this makes me sad. I'm going to be in Tempe on the 9th, Salt Lake on the 12th, and San Diego on the 16th. Please tell me you're also heading up to San Francisco after Disneyland.

Sariah said...

I'll see you in Tempe. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! Seriously planning my cupcake RIGHT NOW.

I want to hang out at Disneyland with Jen and John (hubby of Jen). That would be even cooler!!

Nisrine@Dinners and Dreams said...

This is exciting news. Enjoy your trip!

Laura Wynn said...

aw, Man! When I was CA, you had loads of tours in the east/mid country. and now that I'm in Idaho, you'll be going to my hometown!
talk about rotten luck.
Have a ball, though!

Charlene said...

CRap! I will be in Puerto Rico that day you are in Arizona which I know is not a bad thing but still wanted to meet you guys and attend a Cakewreck's event. :(

Unknown said...

Pasadena's in L.A. County, so your're safe to say it's L.A. :)

La Jolla is beautiful. Great walkable town with lots of art galleries and boutiques.

I have an annual pass to DL, but I have to work June 28 (and the 29th), so I guess I'll miss you there. Pasadena's a possibility, though. Have to see how things go.

Andygirl said...

You're coming to California? OH MAN! I am SO there!

MerinSun said...

Oh man...when are you going to come to the Cincinnati region? We're dying to have you here!

Jen said...

What? No Cincinnati?

Emily said...

*sigh* Of course I missed it when you were in Atlanta... or more appropriately, I missed the updated tour schedule so I never knew you were gonna be in Atlanta. But, obviously, no where close to these.

Liz said...

WAY excited you're coming to Tempe!!! I was so bummed that AZ got left off the west coast leg of the tour last time.

Queen Bee said...

Unless of course, you know, you're in DALLAS. Then John gets sick, then hospitalized, and the slide show conks out. Not fair all the way around. A return engagement is clearly called for.

Sweet Shelby said...

WHOOOOO HOOOOO I'm so excited your coming to SD area. I'm so there, CW is my absolute favorite blog and I'm excited to try my hand and the cupcake contest.

Psychocat said...

La Jolla? Close enough for me! I've been wanting to check out a CW event for quite a while, so I'll definitely get there early!

Jennywenny said...

Nice, you're coming to my town! Theres a pretty good cake shop opposite there called cups, but michelle coulon (on Fay ave) is the best bakery in town so you should really go and check her stuff out while you're here! Welcome to San Diego, I'll try and stop by!

The Dream Police Person! said...

Oh awesomness! I wish you could come to Canada, I love love love your blog! Good luck!

1Kathleen said...

we are going to be in Disneyland the week before you....BUT...insert shameless plug for a company I have nothing to do with....have you heard of RideMax? It can help you plan out your days at Disney to get in maximum ride/shows with minimum walking and waiting !!!! How awesome is that? I've been going to Disneyland since I was 5 years old - and I am more excited about this trip than any before.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I won't be able to make it to any of your sightings - er, signings, but here's a cake decorating idea for the Tempe, AZ date:

Welcome to
PPPPPPPPPP
Arizona
(or maybe just 10P)
Wish I could make it for you, but I'm stuck in the not-so-Great, temporarily green White North. Have a great tour...and vulchkk to you, too!

Stoich91 said...

Woah, too awesome for words. It's a shame your publisher doesn't use their broadside bribery tactic more often, esp. for the benefit of us who don't live in a 600 mile radius of any of those cities. woohoo! :D Stoked for those who DO live nearby. And, by the look of things, these are going to be packed. You better rent a stadium, or something. Se-ri-ous-ly. 71 in Utah and you just put up the post? I didn't even know there were 71 people *in* Utah, but hey, you learn something new every day. :)

Jamie said...

You need to come through Tucson on your way home- I won't be in our new house until June 28th (and after this last 2 months of h-e-double hockey sticks, I think I deserve a day of fun instead of dealing with unloading a van with 4 kids running around while my husband goes to work).

Goof said...

:D Eeeeeeeeeeeeee! YAY you're coming to AZ!!!! Thank you!!!

(((((HUGS)))))

A Paperback Writer said...

Oh, you'll love the King's English, but I wonder where they're going to put everyone who shows up for your fan club. It's not a big bookstore.
Well, I"ll be there -- with bells on.

Beth said...

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH! Please come to Cincinnati!!!!!

London Wreckporter said...

When will you come to the UK/Europe! we NEED a cw tour here!!!!! I would even bake for you!

Jessica said...

I wish ya'll would come to Omaha, or at least somewhere close enough that I could make the trip in a day.

Katie said...

You will be in Disneyland on my birthday :) enjoy the trip for me!!

Deirdre said...

Pretty please plan a trip to Syracuse? You can visit Wegmans, the cultural center of the universe, according to Alec Baldwin and David Letterman.

Unknown said...

WOO-HOO! I am SO excited. I was just trying to psych myself for a trip to Pasadena (~2-3 hours) when I saw that you are coming to Warwicks, my local bookstore! I am TOTALLY going and dragging my cupcake-making friend with me. YAY!!

caferacers66 said...

those of us in Tampa *ahem* feel a little left out on the world tour and wreath just a skosh, somewhat jealous.

Aimee said...

Vromans is waaaay cooler than any bookstore in LA.

Stephanie McGee said...

You're coming to my city! Yay! I'll definitely try to make it out there for this one.

My name is Michelle. said...

Yay! You are coming to Salt Lake! I was so sad that I couldn't make the drive to any of the places you went to before. I just did the happy dance!

Jessica said...

I'm closer to Pasadena, but the 26th is the last day of my cake decorating class (inspired by your blog and book, and because I've always wanted to!). I'll see you in La Jolla! So excited!

Mrs. Jennifer said...

Going to AZ, huh? Better take your papers! hehe

IrisFleuron said...

I soooo wish you'd come to Idaho. Northern Idaho. Moscow exactly.

Anonymous said...

YAY! SLC! You are going to have a HUGE group here.. I can tell. :)

See you soon!

Kyla Armstrong said...

You're coming to Disneyland, but no Orange County signing :(

Anonymous said...

Warwick's rocks, and there's an organic cupcakery just across the street and down about half a block -- http://www.cupslj.com

As for parking, there are a couple of garages nearby, if you can't find street parking. Best bet is the one under the Arcade building. Entrance is on Fay, just off Prospect. The Arcade building is the yellow one where the Hard Rock used to be, and generally has a lower rate. I don't think the one under the Merrill Lynch building in open on weekends (and my office just moved, so I don't have a keycard for it anymore. Shucks.)

There's a very small amount of parking in Drury Lane, the alley that runs behind Burns and Warwick's, but not much -- best to leave that for people with limited mobility (though wheelchairs will have to go in from the front -- there's stairs on the alley side).

Annie said...

So excited to see you! And here I thought no one cool ever comes to Salt Lake. Thank you for destroying that belief! :)

Zombie Edward said...

Still not in Ohio/Michigan! :(

Anonymous said...

I live super close to Disneyland but you're not even doing a booksigning in Orange County (where D-land is!). Boo-hoo. :-(

Wildroses said...

Will you ever come to Canada? :) I want to see you in Calgary! I can dream right?

Christie said...

Come to Colorado!!! You have LOTS of fans here!!

Stevie said...

OMG MY HUSBAND WORKS AT THE PASADENA VROMAN'S!!! And I have a season pass to Disneyland...hmmm, methinks I'll have to make a trip there on the 28th (even though that's our anniversary teehee). I LOVE this blog and you guys are awesome!!! <3 =D

Lady Kwake said...

As a baker who TOTALLY intends to bake a wreck for this, I have this and this to say about you coming out towards me.

"YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PICK A WRECK AS MY FAVORITE ONE???? D:"

Can wait to see you guys! My hubby as I will probably be at the Pasadena and/or San Diego stops, so we'll be looking forward to seeing you!

EmmyWemmyWoo said...

Holy cake boards, Batman! I live in the UK and I'm only going to be in San Diego RIGHT WHEN YOU ARE TOO WWWWWWOOOOOOOO!!!!!!11111!!!!!!

Ahem. Anyway, totally fated to be, right? Now...how does one make a cupcake wreckplica in a hotel room? O_O

Unknown said...

Vroman's is awesome! If you need an OC date, perhaps talk to the folks at the Lab in Costa Mesa -- not a bookstore, but possibly wierd enough to host you all anyway. (Yeah, I'm giving you all this advice, even though I left CM 2 years ago).

manybellsdown said...

Drat. You're coming to my town and of course I'm on a family trip out of state that weekend.

Which Vroman's is going to be, er ... just in case? Downtown or Hastings Ranch?

mn_me said...

Jen and John,
Here in the Minneapolis/St Paul area, we don't have Disneyland, but could we lure you here with the Mall of America - complete with an indoor theme park?

Honest - it doesn't snow here in the summer; it was actually 95 and humid here yesterday - just like Florida! I've told everyone I know about your blog and book. It would be such a blast to see you in person!!!

Love CW

Anonymous said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for a World Tour part 4, since the Midwest is still not feeling the love. Metro Detroit area NEEDS Cake Wrecks.

Amy Raz

wv = foorcess, as in "Amy foorcess John and Jen to bring the tour to the Motor City."

Trevor said...

It's almost too bad you aren't doing the trip in August. Then you could go to San Diego at the same time as the ICES convention! That'd be a hoot!

Aliza said...

Beg, beg, beg for your coming up to Montreal or Toronto (or, even better, Ottawa!). It isn't that much further than some of the other tour stops. Perhaps for Tour #4? Then your tours will be international :)

Cowgirl@Heart said...

Of course you finally come to Arizona on the very night I can't go! :P boo! I wish I could be there. :(

Anonymous said...

SO stoked that you're coming to Salt Lake!!! It's ON my calendar, can't wait to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Pasadena is almost L.A. It's much nicer, and as close as you'll want to get!

WV-gratin-I'm gratin you're coming close to my new home town, Tempe, but I'll be out of the country that week! :-(

Sabrina said...

Can we meet up with you at Disneyland?

Sweet Shelby said...

BTW So excited about your SD stop that I dedicated a blog post to you....check it out http://artisanfare.blogspot.com/ I just can't wait

Unknown said...

I am so bummed! The 26th & 27th are my busy days of the month. I will have to work some magic to try and to make it somehow. Otherwise, perhaps I can meet up with you at Disneyland!!! Yay, John will finally get to see Captain EO! Woo Hoo!!

WATERBABY CHRISTINE said...

Glad for your sakes you have trimmed this "World" tour to a more manageable size. Think you bit off more than you could chew last time!

lisadh said...

I'm so happy for you! Woo! Having been to the Austin tour stop, I can say it is indeed a blast!

Tell Disneyland I said "Hi!".
Enjoy, J&J!

DMackendrick said...

Hooray!!!!!! Will start work immediately on a little cupcake mayhem! See you in Pasadena!

Kanko and Jade said...

I'm so excited you're coming to SLC!!!
La Jolla, CA is BEAUTIFUL!!! The Birch aquarium is neat and it's just 15 min. north of SD; Sea World is Awesome. I just got back from a vacation there (my first time in SD) and loved it!

Kanko and Jade said...

If you want excellent Greek, Thai, Japanese, or Italian food in SLC that isn't too expensive let me know! I promise these restaurants are wonderful and won't make you sick. :)

Unknown said...

Damn you! Finally you're in my 'hood (yes, Pasadena is very close to LA... and more importantly, 5 minutes from me) and I will be in NYC for the Fancy Food Show. Dang it all to Hades.

Sweredu: Mating call of the drunken douchebag. As in: "No, baby, I really luff ya... I sweredu."

Anonymous said...

I think that you should come to Norway, preferably to Stavanger. It's great here you know... with the fjords and all :) And definitely some great cakes too!

Hugs from June, the Norwegian cookie monster ;)

elbie said...

I'm so happy you're coming to SLC!!! King's English will be a great venue for you!!! Tiny, but quaint! WOO HOO!!!

elbie said...

for all those in SLC that won't be able to make it, NO WORRIES!!! i'll be there to represent!! woot!

Liz Gates said...

Yahoo--you're coming to Salt Lake!! I don't have any idea how they're going to fit the 130 people who've accepted so far into that tiny (yet awesome)bookstore, though--guess I'll see! :)

Tova said...

But! None of those are even REMOTELY near me! Couldn't you come to Ohio? Pleaaaase? or at least the eastern half of America?

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're going to Disneyland, because Disneyland is WAY better than Disneyworld. I love Disneyland so dang much. I want to live there. It is seriously the happiest place on earth.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited you are coming to AZ!!! As long as I have the day off I am so coming. I've spent the last month reading the past blogs I missed!

Woonette said...

La Jolla is a rich suburb of San Diego.

Cranky CHef said...

Sooooo..... CW4 will be the real WORLD tour then? Australian Wrekkies await your arrival.

Mari said...

COME TO THE UPPER MID-WEST! please. ;)

Shannon Williams said...

Please come to Las Vegas! :D

Valley Spinners and Weavers said...

I loved La Jolla when I lived near San Diego. The La Jolla Shores beach is beautiful at night. Have lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

YAY!! An AZ stop!! I would LOVELOVELOVE to do the official cake for the signing, even tho I think someone else may have already beat me to the punch on that *LOL*

*plotting my cupcake entry*

Sarah said...

OHMIGOD OHMIGOD OHMIGOD! I live in SAN DIEGO! I am soooooooooo stinkin' excited that I get to go SEE you! You're definitely MY favorite celebrity!! :)

MerinSun said...

Whee! Three desperate cries for you to come to Cincinnati!

You know you want to!

For half the price of a Disney Land ticket you can get into Kings Island, home of the Beast! You can dance on a Hofbrauhaus table in Newport! Explore a real American castle in Loveland! Eat some spaghetti with chili on it and then follow it up with some excellent Graeter's ice cream! And if you want to stick with cake wreckie experiences, I am sure you can find one or more at Jungle Jim's*, the largest international grocery store complete with animatronics!

So please come visit us!


*their bakery is actually quite good...but I am not above slightly slandering others to get still other people's attention.

moo said...

COME TO TORONTO

Velasa said...

Oh man, I don't know if anyone else mentioned it because I didn't read all the comments but I just wanted to say this- Take a little bit of time to walk along the shore at La Jolla, it's just mind-numbingly beautiful there. I mean California's beautiful in general, but La Jolla is just like a little piece of overpriced Heaven in the middle of Cali.

MrsFitzDarcy said...

I'm in Tucson, about 2 hours away. What do you think of an autistic 5 year old in the cupcake decorating contest? LOL. He will wreck some cake in classic style.

BellaLovesPink said...

Yay! So glad you're coming to AZ!!

Unknown said...

Darn you, Jen! You'll be in Disneyland while I'm in Walt Disney World! And I'll be in Disneyland in July!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you're coming to Salt Lake! I'm so there!

Cassie said...

... Come to Canada! Seriously. I am doomed never to make the world tour. You are headed to Cali the week AFTER I get back from there! :(

Sandi said...

Hopefully there will be no trips to the ER this time!

Anonymous said...

Oh NO! I live South of Salt Lake, but I can't come on the 23rd.. And my birthday is the 26th.. So unfair!

Vanessa Martin said...

I'm totally happy. You're coming to Tempe just before my birthday to the coolest bookstore in the state. May I make a suggestion? Eat lunch/dinner at House of Tricks. It's a short walk from Changing Hands and is a fabulous little mid-range eatery. The best cake decorating store in the area is ABC Cake Decorating but they're a 20 minute trip to downtown Phoenix.

Quick question: is your EPCOT / Spaceship Earth cake fair game for the cupcake contest? Or is it considered hallowed ground since
a) it's not a wreck
b) YOU made it, and
c) it has become the springboard for a whole slew of inside jokes
Whaddya think?

Anyways, welcome to Arizona in advance. The people are friendly, the bookstore you chose is way cool (if not small for this type of event), and you will most likely have a fabulous time.

:)
Wreck on!
--Vanessa

Doublen~Erinn said...

Cakewrecks + Changing Hands = Total awesomeness!!! I can't wait!!! This just made my day!

Rebekah said...

D: I'm going to miss your visit to Tempe by 2 days.

Anonymous said...

Aw, but there's no Epcot in Californy!

~Alissa said...

Warwicks is just being snobby - La Jolla isn't its own city, its a community in San Diego.

See you then!

kelley said...

sneaky pro tip for Disneyland: if the line for Indiana Jones is really long, get single rider passes. once you get past the movie projection part, pocket the single rider pass so you can stay together (unless you don't mind being separated, then you can hand them to the next castmember you see). you will cut your wait time by at least half, if not more! probably more since it's summer and the line could be up to 2 hours long... but with the single rider pass your wait will only be about 10-20 minutes! however, if the line is relatively short (30 min or so), and if it's your first time going to disneyland, go through the line for the experience.

and if you're hankering to get soaked STAT, splash mountain also has a single rider line, but you will for sure be separated. last time my wait was 5 minutes for a line that was an hour and a half!

Anonymous said...

I think I might try to make it to your date in Pasadena (which is in Los Angeles county by the way), I'll be the one with the bandaged arm because that's the next day I donate platelets at the City of Hope in Duarte.
My roommate would also love it if there were a gluten free cake as another poster suggested.
-Amber

P.S. I'll be at Disneyland on the 21st (my birthday)!

Laura said...

I. Am. So. EXCITED.

Anonymous said...

Want a photo session when you stop in Salt Lake City? you can pay in cake or cupcakes :P

I hope I can make it, I've just been switched to the night shift at work :P

Christina said...

How about some East Coast love - Philadelphia perhaps?

Sarah said...

So sad I can't go to the Pasadena event... I'm a face painter with 2 gigs that day. But I live 5 minutes from Disneyland! Wouldn't it be awesome if you could have an event there? One can only dream...

Anonymous said...

ny?? please????