Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Choose Your Own ADVENTure...

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

In this economy, bakeries need to be efficient with their holiday designs. Which I guess is why they came up with...

The Christmas Tree/Dreidel!

See, turned this way, it's an ugly, post-modern Christmas tree.

But turn it THIS way...

and it's an ugly, post-modern dreidel!

PLUS, you could count those M&Ms as Kwanzaa "first fruits" on a kinara (candle holder). In which case - booya! Three-in-one! Yeah, baby!!


Jamie H., could world-wide religious harmony be brought about by a cookie cake?

[head tilt]


Naaaah.


- Related Wreckage: Kwanzaa Will Not Be Spared

Jen said...

Happy Christmakwanzakuh! >.> See, everything's solved by combining things.

Half Assed Kitchen said...

It also looks a little like my EKG might this time of year.

Stacie said...

...um, I thought it was pretty :/

But then again, I'm drawn to colorful things like a mosquito craves that butt zapper.

Baking and Mistaking said...

Oh dear. Wonder what the label said.

Thumb Biter said...

LOL that's actually pretty cool, I wouldn't mind having it...

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I think it makes a better ugly, post-modern dreidel than ugly, post-modern tree.

Fluffy Cow said...

Chris-ma-kwanz-ma-kah?

Anonymous said...

it looks like they scribbled over a menorah

Fanboy Wife said...

Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel, I made you out of a Christmas tree. When you're dry and ready, dreidel... um... isn't for me!

Paloma said...

I need some time to recover after the "intestines" (or brains) exposed cake! right now all cakes (including poo-dolph) do not look that bad!

I think it will take a while for me to go back to "normal"

:)

S3XinthePantry said...

OMG - this ties in perfect to our conversation at dinner today -we have friends who celebrate many different holidays and my kids are just starting to pick up on how things like Santa and food choice vary with religion

my youngest was trying to puzzel it out - my oldest was spouting out facts -

but my middle child was the unifier, "it doesn't matter --- everybody eats!"

If I'd had this picture to show him, I could have added "everybody eats cookies!"

Andygirl said...

Happy Christmahannukwanzaka!

Lydia said...

Honestly, I kind of like that, except for the cheesy pink snowflake-star.

Anonymous said...

Obviously the baker wanted to celebrate with a Festivus Cookie, as in the Seinfeld sitcom holiday.

Festivus: creating cake wrecks for the rest of us.

ariel said...

i like this cake! i 2nd pretty.

Amelie said...

I actually like the idea of m&m as decorations... but the tree is u-gly!

raquel said...

perfect for families that celebrate both christmas and hanukkah, or as seth cohen coined it "chrismukkah"

Unknown said...

Now I want to see an actual Advent Cake, all numbered with little doors with little treats hiding behind them...

oh my. I just thought of...

ADVENT CUPCAKECAKE!

(My friend inky asks: "would that be evil or would the intrinsic goodness cancel it out?")

Anonymous said...

Re: "could world-wide religious harmony be brought about by a cookie cake?"

Well, according to Jerry Seinfeld: "The thing about eating the Black and White cookie, Elaine, is you want to get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate And yet somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie all our problems would be solved."

WV: cotexess Surely someone can make some feminine hygiene joke, but my brain is a bit fried right now.


Lisa in Queens, NY

Pilgrim said...

Well hey, kinda creative,really.


At least its better than the damn bun cake.

Anonymous said...

This decorator probably doesn't have good Christmas tree-picking skills.

Katie said...

Well that's just... yuck. I don't like the idea of so much icing on a cookie cake.

Anonymous said...

While the pink snowflake may serve little purpose on the Christmas tree, it obviously acts as a tool to encourage optimum dreidle spinning...

Nads' Bakery said...

I can kind of see the fun modern attempt!

Huzaifa said...

wow, what a beautiful cake.. it should be sooo yummy..

Alison said...

Awesome! Sheer genius! That raises my Holiday Spirit Quotient to 125%.

joanne said...

that pink plastic snowflake star is tacky. and they could have at least ATTEMPTED some creative M&M placement, as opposed to just dumping a bag of m&ms right on the middle.

but i love cookie cakes. YUM.

Emma C. said...

My two favorite things... kwaristukuh and cookies!

Anonymous said...

It also looks like a green Easter basket

Melissa (& Billy) said...

My local supermarket's bakery did something like this, only it actually looked like a fairly well done post-modern tree! XD Guess they weren't so rushed a week ago.

Mmm. Now I want cookie cake. Even badly done cookie cake!

Anonymous said...

was there no charity that day?

Anonymous said...

Tree looks ugly, but the cookie looks YUM!

WV: wayst - why would you wayst a perfectly good cookie by putting a horrible looking tree on it?

DMackendrick said...

Change those M&Ms for Skittles, and you've totally got Kwanzaa covered! Hanukukwanzacristmaka!

Planes, Trains, and Bob the Builder said...

My 5 year old looked at the dreidel and said, "Look mom, an M & M boat!" :)