Saturday, November 7, 2009
Saturday, November 7, 2009
These three drove all the way from St. Louis, MO to be there. Talk about dedication! And check out those super-cool, custom shirts. They even brought us one. Here's a closeup of the back:
They explained that they made the shirts for the first tour before I got sick so the last few dates are wrong. I think maybe a red sharpie slash through those dates would take care of it in true Cake Wrecks fashion.
Of course, we did the cupcake wreckplica competition and here were our three enthusiastic winners:
Okay, two enthusiastic winners, and Logan who had a terribly itchy nose but was far too polite and gentlemanly to scratch it. Wreck on, my young friend. You're a better man than I am.
The dead rose petal wedding cake was the winner:
Crystal C. made the monkey/frog cake, complete with custom painted paper flotsam:
And Logan made a near perfect copy of the "I'm purrin for you" cupcake cake (ptoiee!)
Honorable mentions go out to Emily Spittler who made some of the most realistic icing poo I have ever seen:
And to Kathy Spittler (I wonder if they're related) who made the snowman from one of my all time favorite posts:
Fantastic, right? Well there's lots more where those came from, so check out the Kansas City Facebook Page for more great entries!
Our next stop was New York City, Official Motto, "Phenomenal Cosmic Powers! Iiitty bitty living space." We were at what is apparently the smallest Barnes and Noble in the world. (Maximum occupancy: 4, as long as they aren't wearing heavy coats.) That said, this was our view of the crowd:
There were actually people sitting on the floor in front of the lady in pink. Let's just say we were "cozy."
Though we only had six entries, we managed to find three champions:
The winner's cake was the nauseated basketball:
And then there was Cookie Monster (appropriate for this week's Sesame Street celebration):
And an also seasonally-appropriate Thanksgiving turkey, shaped like a football:
We actually had two bakers for the show. (Score!) The first was Perfect Endings Bakery and their cake was a Cake Wrecks Wreckerator Wrecker (Woo! Wreck-alicious!):
Complete with side panel signage misspelling:
And we also had Jacy Cakes who provided an awesome gluten-free book cake, which (appropriately) was dropped mid-transit, resulting in a Wreck Wreck. Despite the few bumps and scrapes, however, it still looked pretty sweet:
I thought it was cool that they even managed to nail the Andrews McMeel "U" Logo on the book spine:
And that's about it for the first two shows of Cake Wrecks - The "World" Tour, Part 2! You can check out more pics from the New York Facebook Page. Stay tuned for a wrap-up of Bethesda, Boston and Atlanta!
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- A Whiter Shade of Pale
- Sunday Sweets: Fall Edition
- A Fine Feathered Salute
- This Is What Happy Tastes Like
- In Which Happy Tanks SHOULD Be Given, But Are Not
- Really? I Mean, Really?!? (Yes, MORE Turkey Wrecks...
- Talkin' Turkey Tuesday, Too
- Time to Talk Turkey
- Sunday Sweets: When Geeks Marry
- Because We Need More Holidays
- Cue Cards, Please?
- Batter UP!
- All Your Base Are Be Wrong To Us
- What's Black & White & Wrecked All Over?
- Foiled Foliage
- Sunday Sweets: Tour De Force, Pt 3
- Southern Comfort [Atlanta Pics]
- Wedding Day Advice
- Label Makers
- Boston in the Fall
- Throw the Bouquet (Away)
- Bethesda Tour Roundup
- The Amercian Way
- A Real Turkey
- Two Bee Red Allowed
- Sunday Sweets: Sesame Street
- On The Road Again
- Bird is the Word
- Sporty Spice Cakes
- New Discoveries in the Animal Kingdom
- Call Me!
- The Name Game
- Sunday Sweets: Twilight
- ▼ November (33)