Monday, February 16, 2009
Monday, February 16, 2009
First, since Lincoln's birthday is part of the celebration, we've got to start with this lovely example sent in by Michael N.:
Then there's this rather less lovely Reagan cake:
(Note: This one's been floating around the interwebs for a while, so my apologies if it's not actually a pro job. In my defense, most of the pro cakes I see look a lot worse than this.)
Now remember, Grace D.: if someone makes a cake bust in your likeness, it's a compliment...
...Not that they want to knife you in the head.
I already featured a bunch of Obama cakes after the election, but be sure to check out the giant 5,900 cupcake mosaic of him and Lincoln from Friday's post, too.
And lastly, naturally this post wouldn't be complete without a George Washington cake.
Erm..... [frantically searching the 'net]
Ah, how 'bout this?
Ok, so it's perfectly centered, spelled correctly, and otherwise rather wreckless - sorry. Oh! But look! The balloons on the bottom are upside down! Eh? Eh? That counts, right?
Hey, I spent at least 15 whole minutes searching for a better Washington cake, alright? This is the best I got. Honestly, you'd think bakers out there would see today as an opportunity to get in touch with their creative, powdered-wig-wearing side. But no-ooo. Hmph. Downright inconsiderate, is what that is.
All that to say: if you have something better, send it soon and maybe I'll post it.
And stay tuned for more Valentine's Wrecks.
UPDATE: Well, you guys certainly are sending in some...interesting...Washington items. So far I've gotten a pie made in George, Washington, a hilarious but not post-able Washington Monument cake (no, you can't see it; it's not professionally made), what I suspect is more of a Georgette Washington cake spotted at the fair, and my current favorite:
Wreck the Halls
What's a Wreck?
What's a Wreck?
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it. A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons. Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators: Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
Now, don't you have a photo you want to send me? ;)
Praise for the Book
- “Will have you laughing so hard you’ll forget to eat!”— Washington Post
- “a hilarious winner” — The Oregonian
- “a fantastically gut-busting book”— NPR
- “It’s all here, each wreck a disaster of hilarity.” — BookPage.com
- “Hysterically funny!”— Epinions.com
- “laugh-out-loud funny”— The Times
- “Yates’ sharp humor makes the funny even funnier.” — The Dallas Morning News
- “an amazing laugh-out-loud book”— The Book Triblog
What the fans are saying
- "I was laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath."
- "As funny as the blog that started it."
- "WAY better than I expected!"
- "Cake Wreckery at its best!"
- American Mensa:Top 50 Websites of 2010
- Amazon: Top 10 gift books of 2009
- The Orlando Sentinal “Orbbies”: Winner Humor
- 2009 BlogLuxe Awards: Funniest Blog
- 2009 Bloggies: Best Writing of a Weblog, Best New Weblog, Best Food Blog
- The 2008 Weblog Awards: Best Food Blog
- Blogger's Choice 2008 Awards: Best Humor Blog
Where's the book?
We don’t have any copies of Cake Wrecks for sale here, autographed or otherwise. We decided the shipping and handling costs would be too high to make it worth your while. So instead, buy your copies locally or online and then order personalized bookplates: it’s cheaper, easier, and I think even looks a bit nicer.
Payments must be made through Paypal, which accepts all major credit cards. Sorry, but that means no checks or MOs or barter-based chickens.
We ship everything first class USPS, and will do our best to have your package in the mail within 2 days of your order.
Popular This Month
- ► 2011 (198)
- ► 2010 (357)
- You Gotta Admit: That's Way Better than "Good"
- Willy & Wally, the Cake Wreckers
- When Common Sense Isn't
- Kids These Days
- Guess Who!
- "Hey everybody, thish cake ish from Holland. Ishn'...
- Sunday Sweets Visits the 80s
- Phonics Has Failed Us
- Passive Aggressive Cakes
- THIS is How You Show Hungry Who's Boss
- Come On Barbie, Let's Go Party
- For Me?
- The End of Sweetness
- It's a Form of Flattery. Honest.
- Ace of Cakes Gets Lost!
- Valentine's "Winners"
- President's Day Cupcake Mosaic
- What's Love Got to Do With It?
- Valentine's Variety
- Heart Expressions
- Show and Tell
- A Healthy Appetite
- This'll Cure that Freaky Fetish
- Sunday Sweets: Valentine's Treats
- The Pink-Haired Puppet Master
- Wreck-Slingers, Part 2
- Head Check
- Tensed Up
- Come to the Dark Side: We Have Cake
- ▼ February (31)