Friday, April 29, 2011

A Cinderella Story

Friday, April 29, 2011

With all the royal wedding coverage out there, a lot of us girls have been spending this week imagining our own Princess Diaries moment.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but mine goes a little something... like this...

[harpsichord dream sequence music plays]

First, there's a whirlwind romance with the dashing stranger who looks like a cross between Nathan Fillion and Kiefer Sutherland during his Three Musketeers days.

(Awww yeeeeah.)

Next, we sink straight into the Fire Swamp.

No, no, just kidding.

Next we play BioShock together until 2AM.

Later, after
dressing up as Venkman and Staypuft for Halloween (I'm Venkman, of course), and confessing our undying love for one another, there's a painfully romantic proposal:

Performed in an inflatable kiddie pool.

"Jen," my dashing prince would say, "Will you be my own Princess Peach?"

To which I would respond, "Are you kidding? Do Vulcans need the Pon Farr?
"(But we are going to Disney for the honeymoon, right?)"

And, BAM! I'm a princess! Next thing you know, I'm living in a castle...

"And over here is your TARDIS closet. As you can see, it is much, MUCH bigger on the inside."


...and wearing pretty princess crowns...

(Modeled after crabby Space Invaders, apparently.)


...and pretty princess dresses...

("Talk about your trunk space, check this action out!")

...and riding my Princess Vespa around...

(Ok, technically this would be a Princess Harley.)

...and...and...wait. You know what? Other than the castle and crown stuff, I've already got my fairy tale ending, complete with BioShock playing, Princess Bride quoting, brownie baking prince. (Love you, Sweetie.)

So I guess I'll just end here by wishing all of you:

I like the short and fluffy ones, myself.


Thanks to today's dream team Debbie B., Anony M., Lisa V., Lisa P., Julia B., Vanessa C., & Stephanie S., who, for the record, never even knew fairies *had* tails.
laughingmom said...

Twu wuv...

tjbmurph said...

I want a TARDIS closet!

oh, and awesome post as usual

elissa said...

I don't know if it's my lack of sleep last night or what, but this post definitely had me laughing out loud for real. I'm sure my colleague in the next cube over thought I'd lost it.

It was the crown and the dress that really got me going.

Thank you!

Chasmosaur said...

The British Monarchy apparently has a Flickr stream. They also have pictures of the wedding cake and McVities Groom Cake. Take a gander at what are sure to be the most Wrecked cake copies in the coming year or two:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishmonarchy/

PeaceLoveandSharpies said...

The thought of all that frosting makes me want to puke a little... >.<

SuBee said...

OOOH Jen! Your crown and dress are sooooo pretty. I'm tearing up.
Take good care of your fairytail!

Amy'sMom said...

Mawage is what bwings us togethaar today...


wv: susions- a blessed union between to Sues (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

ViolaNut said...

I don't have much to say (having been up since 4 AM watching said wedding), but my WV is too good to pass up - "buripie"!

Destinie said...

YAY FOR ALADDIN QUOTES!!!!!

Historian said...

I just love that in one post you combined:
1) Firefly (or Castle)
2) Three Musketeers
3) Princess Bride
4) Ghostbusters
5) Super Mario Bros.
6) Star Trek
7) Dr. Who
8) Spaceballs
and Bioshock.

You are a female geek after my own heart. (And my fiance would be so proud!)

Anonymous said...

Too bad about that last one...so. close.

Fran said...

are those pancakes on the Belle cake?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad at least one other person got the Spaceballs allusion.

Anonymous said...

Aladdin! and the princess bride!

zombiekim said...

So, John's no Prince Valium, then? :)

drumnate said...

Ditto what Historian said. I'm so impressed by all the references and digging deep for the Spaceballs one!

NYCGirl said...

What girl doesn't dream of Pokemon headwear and artichoke dresses?

Morgi said...

If my other half started acting like Venkman I'd have to smack him upside the head. :P

@Fran Those do look like pancakes on the Belle cake, don't they? o.O

Ah, the bonds of holy MOLY!

Kimmery said...

I spy with my little eye some icing smears that look like bullet holes on that Princess Harley cake... I also like how, because it is a combined cake for Jeffrey and Sarah, the wreckerator split it down the not-quite-center with that red and blue piping.

Thanks for the laughs, Jen!

Kimmery

P.S. Here's your sound effect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-SMsaYZuM

It's a harp, but some royalty might indeed prefer the harpsichord. It has a lovely sound too!

Monica said...

Great post! My boyfriend once sent me a text saying he'd fight through all the levels of Mario and defeat Bowser to save me. It was the most romantic thing I'd ever heard. Geek love FTW! Maybe one day we'll have our very own fairytail wedding.

And yes, I'd like a TARDIS closet. Or possibly a TARDIS house.

Becky said...

My friend just sent me an email with pics of the Royal Wedding and mentioned how it was a fairytail wedding. Nice timing!

Also, that dress looks like a giant artichoke. That is NOT the flavor I want to think of when digging into a cake, eww.

Stephanie H said...

Bahahaha - LOVE the Spaceballs reference. Having been up since the wee hours watching "the" wedding, I was actually quite a bit past that part of the post when I got it. But, I got it!

P.S. I'm too tired to think up something pithy like Chaucher would, by my wv is "gasinar." Maybe someone else can be pithy for me? There's gotta be something in there!

JM said...

I just can't see a crown in that yellow one. It looks like a dead sheep with its oddly-arranged legs in the air.

Anonymous said...

Belle's dress looks to me like it's made of tree fungus - right color and everything. Now, as much as I love mushrooms, not sure I want a cake made of them! Then again, that might be one "special" cake!

MFonvielle said...

Tardis closet...you're my hero

Esty said...

I'm sorry - I must protest against crossing Nathan Fillion with ANYONE. He is so yummy all by himself.

That being said, excellent post.

Jeffrey and Sarah's cake appears to be backwards unless Jeffrey's the one into princesses and Sarah's into motorcycles (not that that would be wrong!)

Fairytails, indeed.

Lisa said...

I have nothing clever to say, other than a nod to the word verification.

havic - I don't need to add anything. This is Cake Wrecks, after all.

Anonymous said...

This morning, while Twitstalking FedCon XX

http://www.fedcon.de/

for Richard Dean Anderson stuff, I saw someone actually HAS a Tardis closet!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.444688787988.236924.573012988&l=b9fbd5e918

It belongs to this guy, who designed this T-Shirt Wil Wheaton was wearing

http://www.teefury.com/archive/1173/The_Gallifrey_Road/

Karen said...

I'll never understand why twins should have to share a birthday cake. (Tough enough to have to share your birthday when you're a kid!) I have twin daughters and as far as I'm concerned, the more cake the better!

Anonymous said...

Is the castle cake a wedding cake? It looks like a wedding cake (going by the cutlery on the table). And the Bride and Groom topper is a pair of dragons. The idea is cute, the execution, not so much.

All I could think of when I saw the first two was "Dear God, what is that thing?!"

Hee! Kiddie pool! Hee!

Fluffy Cow said...

I was thinking pasta on that dress cake... but after reading the comments I am switching to artichoke. The color and all...

Anonymous said...

WV - skienyab: After eating Belle all by myself, I'll never achieve that skienyab.

Blech! So... Much... Babypoop... Yellow... Icing!!!!

Colleen said...

LOL!

I should make the crown one for the lady who always comes in and wants a crown on a cake, which since we don't have any crowns I always have to say no. Maybe that cake would put an end to her asking for crown cakes...

lori said...

Would it be too creepy if, in my first official comment on Cake Wrecks, I told you that I'm so impressed you managed to fit all of those amazing references into one super hilarious post that I'm convinced we need to be BFF's and buy matching Princess Vespas and hang out all day, every day? Yes? Too creepy? Okay then. Good to know.

wv: polike. Minding your manners with someone you're especially fond of.

Unknown said...

My daughter (6 yrs) saw the first cake and asked "Did they use cauliflower? or is that frosting?"

Mikey Fuller said...

Bell so looks like a tree trunk covered in fungus!

~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

Car Title Loans said...

I almost missed the misspelling of the last cake! I want the space-invader crown and maybe I can marry Darth Vader and we will live happily ever after, in a galaxy far, far away!

Anonymous said...

I am very glad to see that Wills and Kate's wedding cake is not a wreck! Pics are up on their flickr page! :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishmonarchy/sets/72157626482739185/with/5669096457/

Craig said...

#1 Serving this must have resulted in a mess of epic proportions. It seems that the whole concept of the CCC (retentively equal servings, no cutting required, etc) is being gradually buried under amounts of frosting that must soon exceed the weight of the universe.

#2 Ditto #1. "Psst! It's 'Jake', not JaK!" "No problem, I can fix it!"

Do I detect an Emeril reference in the segue to #3?

#4 If the wreckerator had spent just a little more time on it (or some, anyway)...

#5 The artichoke theory isn't bad, but these are lily pads. With pink...blobs. Or split pea soup. With pink blobs.

#6 How cool that Jeffrey and Sarah shared a birthday and were able to be married that day!

#7 Aaand cue Jimmy Durante. I was wondering what today's soundtrack was going to be. (I propose the construction of an Earworm Shelter next to the Bunker(TM). Is there a second?)

Adorably Dead said...

When I first scrolled down, I only caught the upper half of the Princess Belle cake and was like this isn't that bad....then I scrolled down. It's like someone made her dress out of balogna meat petals. 0_0

Ruth said...

I love fairy tails...

Self Rescuing Princess Society said...

Oh, dear godmother! The last cake is actually quite pretty and sweet. And sullied by poor spelling. What a crying shame.

That crabby crown cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

Loloololol

Cat said...

I have a six-hoop hoop-skirt, and terrifyingly enough, that Belle skirt is about proportionally correct.

Anonymous said...

Princess Bride AND Doctor Who references in the same post? My day has officially been made. Thanks, Jen. :)

Sam Gamgee said...

Aladdin quote with Belle picture?! What are you trying to do?!? *brain asplode*

Donna said...

Hellooooooooooooooo the Princess "dress" has to be that full to cover the fairytail...geez...

Love Love Love me some Princess Bride...may have to go home and watch that instead of the DVR'd wedding....

Anonymous said...

That link for Wills and Kate's official cake led to Page Not Found.

All those millions of people must have eaten every last crumb right down to the digital photos.

I didn't know fairies had tails, but maybe they do in fairy tails.

Anonymous said...

LOL, awsome post. I'm loving all your nerdiness here. Princess Bride, Star Trek... <3

That crown though... haha, you know what it actually reminds me of? A headcrab from Half Life.

-Meggie O

Julie said...

I'm living my fairytale too (no fluffy tails here). Hubby and I have "as you wish" inscribed in our wedding bands, we went to WDW for our honeymoon, and we loved playing Bioshock together (I'm the only one who screamed from time to time). We started playing games with things like Myst and Riven.

tiny purple elephant said...

Tail lol!

Hadassah's Fate said...

I'm pretty sure I would be set for life if I could get a TARDIS closet... especially if it comes with the tenth doctor/David Tennant...

Michelle said...

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...

Evelyn said...

Ok I lost it at the "trunk space" comment.. now everyone around thinks I"m batty

Ellen said...

Jen, glad your reality is better than a dream. Especially these dreams!

Congrats on combining Spaceballs and Roman Holiday references:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0eWxX5iR9FUW-9y_a6qorymWPf-zJs8WPBmsElwsY-EvXZ8-t

Every time I read a comment about what the big icky hoop skirt looked like, I thought "that person nailed it!" Until I saw the next comment.

How sad is it that it looks like it could be pasta, artichoke leaves, pancakes, tree fungus, lily pads, pea soup, and/or bologna?


wv - chrater

These cakes should be thrown into a deep chrater, because they are chrappy.

BADKarma! said...

Wait... I thought fairies had wings... (blinkblink)... I'm SO CONFUSED!!!!! (Running away screaming like a little girl).

WV: iciatede - the sheer creative genius of these wreckerators would have gone forever un-iciatede if it werent' for Jen and John's blog!

Nicole said...

Am I the only one who definitely sees the alien at the beginning of Men In Black in the "crown" cake?

I mean...it could ACTUALLY be a rendition of him.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...wow.
Great post as always!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you should admit you like tail that's short & fluffy...makes you sound like you molest small, furry animals...(RUN, THUMPER, RUN)

F.T.W.:
Princess Vespa, look at the trunk space and Staypuft (the name of my first cat & yes, I spelled it properly)

Does John have a brother who also bakes brownies, quotes Princess Bride and remodels homes beautifully? I'd be willing to rent by the hour if he's not free...

-Barbara Anne

P.S. Which Doctor would be in your TARDIS closet? ;)

MissNay said...

What's a TARDIS closet?

Arlene said...

Poor poor Belle. That gown/venus flytrap looking thing is eating her up lol. As for the others.. that last one was nice until the sad tail part lol. Ah well no one gets that fairy tale ending after all :(.

Adria said...

Yes! I adore the subtle Aladdin reference!

Adria said...

Also, oh God, that was supposed to be Belle? I had to go back for another look. Poor thing.

Anonymous said...

Thought you might be interested in these pics of the Royal Wedding cake. The article includes an interview with the baker and an explanation on all the little details:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381944/Royal-Wedding-cake-Kate-Middleton-requested-8-tiers-decorated-900-flowers.html

Hannah H

Ellen said...

Ooops! Wrong image in my previous comment.

Should have been:


Congrats on combining Spaceballs and Roman Holiday references:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s1eGmoONjO4/S6qEu0ODO0I/AAAAAAAAKvE/vVofDwvL5CQ/s640/audry2-vespa.jpg

Yoshimay said...

Love all the awesome nerdy references in this post!

d00dz said...

my mom loves it!!! more power!




from:
http://infotechnolozyx.blogspot.com/

TriGirl said...

Tardis closet!!

crowleyancanto said...

Even when I was a little kid, in my actual "princess diaries" days (a thousand years ago or who's counting anyways), my first order of business would have been to chow down cake - no matter what it looked like. Interestingly, by my kid perception, all of these cakes, (wrecks and non-wrecks alike) would have qualified as fit for a princess by my standards, and still are. I can't decide if that's good or bad.

Debbie Buckley said...

I can die happy now. The cake wreck I sent you made the front page. I Am Sew Happay!

Debbie B.

Anonymous said...

did you just say you wanted to ride Princess Vespa?

Anonymous said...

I think Belle's skirt is made out of Pringles.

Anonymous said...

I suppose my mind is in the gutter, but I can't help but think that Fairytail belongs on the Playboy channel. Hahaha!

Amanda said...

I want a princess Harley! And a Tardis closet. With a swimming pool in it.

Tia Dugan said...

I agree with the Historian. Can we find a cake of Nathan Fillion?

JoyTwin said...

Doctor Who FTW!!!!!!!